View Full Version : Buying a letus, what do you recommend???

Scott Gold
December 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hey everyone, I'm buying a Letus for my XH-A1 and I'd like to know what you think.

1. Do you think the Ultimate is worth the extra moola$$$????
2. How about the Elite, is that back focus adjustment worth the $$$ as well?
3. What lenses would you recommend? I current own a Canon SLR and noticed my lenses don't have manual aperture adjustments :( that was a bummer finding out.
4. Feel free to throw in any other suggestions for a 35mm adapter noobie.

Thanks!

Chuck Wall
December 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hi
I have both an extreme and an elite model and I would recommend the elite backfocus addon.
It takes a fair amount of time adjusting the GG element to both the cam and the SLR lens
to begin with. With the elite your backfocus can be set with any lens in seconds.

If you have the cash then the ultimate has the added benefit of the spinning glass and additional edge to edge sharpness.

Chuck

Scott Gold
December 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, that definitely pushes me towards the Elite.

Anyone else care to add? This input really helps!

Bruce S. Yarock
December 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Can I retrofit the Extreme with that elite addition? If so, who does it?
Also, how exactly would I know with Nimon primes if I needed back focus adjustment?
Thanks
bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo (http://www.yarockvideo.com)

Scott Gold
December 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks for Hijacking my thread.

Bruce S. Yarock
December 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Scott,
Apparently you haven't been around too long, but I didn't "hijack" your thread. I asked a related question, and can't see how that stopped you from getting the info you're looking for.
Bruce S. yarock

Scott Gold
December 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Didn't mean to offend you by calling Hijack, you are not a forum terrorist.
However, I've been around a long time and know poor forum etiquette when I see it.
Separate questions and conversations should take place in separate threads, that's all.
It keeps the forums and threads in a logical order of conversation.
Ask any moderator, they'll agree.
Great question though, but it should have it's own thread.

Bob Hart
December 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Scott.

I tend to stick my nose in where it does not belong so please be gentle with me as I don't want my Christmas shirt all stained down the front. I perhaps should also heed my own advice.

The moderaters also known here as wranglers are vigilent and friendly. It might be more appropriate to let them do their task quietly in the background and not act in their stead.

Multiple postings on essentially the same topic are generally discouraged as cross-posting and confusions can occur.

Obviously if the discourse spurs too far off-topic it should be separated and this does happen, either by request of participants or intervention of the wranglers. They also intervene when things get prickly.

Bruce's enquiry derived from an opening in Chuck's response.

For Bruce.

The Elite add-on I think can be found at letusdirect where Aaron should be able to tell you more. Zacuto may also have it. The "Elite" sub-assembly replaces the Extreme original sub-assembly forward of the flip enclosure at the junction which is fastened by the two pairs of screws where the open tube ends. The lens mount to lens mount orifice is the same fitment.

For Scott.

www.philipbloom.co.uk has forums and a personal blog by Phil Bloom who is an accomplished DP, camera op, and has pushed the Letus Extreme and Ultimate to their limits creatively.

There is also a shootout for the Letus, Brevis and SGPro. However this is now a bit dated as these products have evolved considerably since.

As for the Extreme versus Ultimate, the Ultimate is more expensive. I understand both share a similar optical arrangement from the front of the flip enclosure rearwards. The Ultimate has speed control on the disk rpm whereas the Extreme has none.

Speed control enables the diminishment of artifacts which may occur in hostile lighting conditions. There is a favourable rpm for 60i, 50i 24P and all the permutations of frame rate etc., where the visible movement of the artifact is slowed down so as to be the least apparent.

The bokeh rendition of the Ultimate is apparently superior due to a different groundglass texture on the disk surface.

The Ultimate has fewer actual moving parts and a simpler mechanical operation so should be more reliable mechanically. It should also be quieter in operation.

The vibrating movement in the Extreme can become acoustically coupled to on-board camera mikes through the camcorder structure if the mike mount or padding is inadequate.

It presents as a hum or drumming sound in the ballpark of about -25db maybe louder, maybe softer depending on camera type. Using on-board mikes is not best practice but people do it.

If you can afford it, get the Ultimate. It is the latest evolution of the product. If you cannot, then the Extreme with Elite front sub-assembly added separately or the Elite itself from Zacuto should satisfy you.

I seem to vaguely recall there having been some optical issues with the XH camera family across several adaptor brands so enquire with Aaron first before buying as there may be a special achromat you need to order. My memory also could be very wrong on this.

Scott Gold
December 22nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all that info Bob, Philip Bloom's website looks like a great place to get learned up!

Thanks again!

Chuck Wall
December 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Scott, Bruce

The elite "add on" can be found on either Zacuto's site or letus direct. The cost is 600.00 and while nearly half the cost of the extreme it will save you many hours of time.

Chuck

Don Miller
December 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
At the risk of sounding like both a hijacker and a troll, the best letus like device is the 5DII. The IQ is considerably higher and you don't need to walk around with a Frankencorder (caminstein?).

Uses the same popular Zeiss ZF lens. Keeps your main camera available. Much smaller. Has user control issues, but its not like Letus Brevis are simple automatic devices. Prices will be discounted under $2500 in the first quarter 2009.

35mm adapter resale prices may collapse as these new big cmos cameras come out.

I'm not so much responding to the OP, as to others how are looking for DOF control and a more filmic image. Think hard before you buy into technology that is at the end of its lifecycle. Canon, Sony, Red and probably Panasonic and Nikon will make up this next phase.

This isn't about Letus being "bad". It's a creative tech solution to a real need. But it was always going to be a product with a limited lifecycle.

Shaun Roemich
December 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
I like grilled cheese sandwiches.

THAT was a thread hijack.

Bob Hart
December 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Don.

I agree up to a point.

While there are small 1/3" or 1/4" handycams there will be a groundglass relay device to suit them however. They may become much smaller and cheaper consumer level end-user products

Adaptors may be even become permanently integrated with small CCD or CMOS imager cameras as a single product, maybe mass-produced in Dongguan out of moulded plastic and revert to surface coated mirrors in flip enclosures or more likely eliminate the fhip stage entirely and flip the chip instead, a cross between a consumer camera and a kid's toy.

They may likely use disk based groundglasses as there will be a huge obsolete inventory of DVD spindle motors out there when either solid state memory for movie distribution takes off or subscriber on-line rentals do instead and DVD/Blu-Ray goes to heaven.

Likewise, if large format consumer cams take off, there will be a lot of obsolete small-format imagers to be used up. The security camera industry may not absorb them all.

I thought groundglass adaptors would have been over already by now however this has not happened.

David W. Jones
December 27th, 2008, 07:38 AM
This may be a which Letus thread, but I tend to agree with Don.
A DSLR that shoots video like the EOS 5D mkII would be a much smarter buy.
Especially since you already own nice Canon EOS lenses that will work perfectly with the camera.

While I have used a number of DOF adapters, and currently own a Brevis Flip,
I can honestly say that I hate using them. Any of them! They add weight & length and throw off the balance of the camera, even the best of them loose too much light, they all exhibit some sort of unnatural grain structure, the ground glass seems to collect crap no matter which unit you own, they are just plain inconvenient.

With the advent of the Red cameras, as well as the likes of the new Canon 5D mk II this changes things.

The bottom line is... these are all just tools.
All you have to decide is, which tool is right for you!

Dennis Murphy
December 29th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I like grilled cheese sandwiches.
THAT was a thread hijack.

I found that the Letus cheese griller added a whole new dimension to my cheese sandwich making and eating experiences.
Although, instead of just whacking a sandwich in the machine and whipping it out quickly for a quick munch, with the Letus sandwich maker, so much controll had be engaged with whole cheese grilling process.
The lack of an auto temperature control meant that quite a few sandwiches have come out either burnt or undercooked, but with perseverence, I've got some beautiful sandwiches out of it with a shallow depth of sandwich that other 1/3 inch toasters just couldn't achieve.

My main problem with it is how much cheese it eats, and that I can't close the lid faster than 100th of a second without horrible patterns appearing on the bread.

I've built up a nice little collection of teflon surfaces that give a range of different thicknesses to the sandwich.

Although the sandwiches I make seem so beautiful, I still haven't got laid from any of them, but that's just probably because I'm butt-ugly.

Phil Bloom
December 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM
A DSLR that shoots video like the EOS 5D mkII would be a much smarter buy.
Especially since you already own nice Canon EOS lenses that will work perfectly with the camera.

I just don't think that camera is there yet as a replacement for a video camera for many reasons discussed in many places.

I really would go for the Elite. Best bang for buck and the backup of Zacuto customer support.

Dan Chung
December 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Phil,

It really depends on your output type, if you are only ever going to output 30p to computer or web the you really could use the 5dmKII as your primary camera. If on the other hand you are working for TV broadcasters then an EX with its variable frame rates makes a lot more sense. If you are going to make a film it is very much in the balance.

I would say that the workarounds needed for a 5dmkII are no more complex than the ones for using a 35mm adapter on my EX-1. Controlling a 5dmkII is hard, but not impossible.

The main advantages of the 5dmkII are cost, size and high ISO performance. The Letus and Brevis on an EX give you longer record times, easier control of shutter speed and gain but lower sharpness (although arguably more filmic) and worse low light performance.

Is the 5dmkII a replacement for a video camera NO, but better than an EX with an adapter in many instances YES! I'm keeping my EX-1 and EX-3 but plan to use them less and less. I actually think they compliment each other very well. But if I had to choose only one it would have to be the 5dmkII.

Dan

Yang Wen
January 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Regarding the viability of the DOF adapters - It is entirely dependent on how you plan on shooting.

If you want to shoot long takes - interview, speeches, anything that requires more than 10-12 minutes of continuous recording per take, then the 5Dmk2 will not match your needs.

If you, like me who plan on shooting short takes, mostly, B rolls, then the 5Dmk2 blows the DOF adapters out of the water. For a run n' gun shooter, the 5Dmk2's compactness can not be matched. You can shoot with clean shallow DOF without the hassle associated with a DOF adapter. Sure, the 5D has it's own shortcomings, but none of which are more severe then shortcomings associated with a DOF adapter. In fact, I sold my Letus Mini as soon as the D90 was announced - anticipating the end of the DOF adapter era. I think for many users, the era has already ended. For the remaining DOF adapter users, products in the near future will eliminate the need/desire of an adapter for them as well.

That being said, if you need it for a specific project TODAY, by all means, work the cost of the adapter into your budget and do not consider it as a long term investment.

Scott Gold
January 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Wow, great reply's all around.

I was planning on selling my 10D and 40D to upgrade to the 5DII this year anyway. But I never really thought it would replace the XH-A1 and LETUS combo.

I just shot a short film with a borrowed RedRock and my XH-A1 and I can't imagine trying to do the same with a DLSR. We seriously used every feature the XH-A1 had I don't think the 5DII will give me that level of control.

I think I'm going to do the Elite or Ultimate, I just don't know what I should do about the lenses now. If I use EF lenses then taking the lenses off and adjusting the aperture with a Canon camera body would suck.

Bob Hart
January 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Scott.

The "trick" of mounting the lenses to a stills camera first to set the iris, may not be so arduous as you think.

You can use the stills camera for setting the lens as a viewing tool (directo'rs viewfinder) before you even set up a shot.

Okay, the framing will be different so just mask off the LCD on back of the stills cam with a bit of gel sheet trimmed or marked to Letus frame or add a piece of gel into the optical viewfinder to do the same job..

You will be wanting to keep the lens depth-of-field to a constant more often than you think unless the shallow DOF novelty has not yet worn off and you are shooting everything wide-open still or you are going no-budget with lighting.

Dan Chung
January 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Scott,

Right now whether you want to go the Letus or the 5dmkII route you will find Nikon, Contax or Leica mount lenses are going to work best. Nikon and Zeiss primes seem to give the best results, but Nikon do some excellent zooms too. Just make sure they have aperture rings or use the 16-9.net g adapters.

Dan

John Stakes
January 4th, 2009, 02:47 AM
The main advantages of the 5dmkII are cost...

well the letus/rails/50mm combo can be had for half the cost of the MkII. Or about 2K with the Elite.

if I had to choose only one it would have to be the 5dmkII.

Unless you were a wedding/event videographer.

FWIW I love the capabilities of the MkII. If it were not for the time restriction, this would be my companies next purchase; but for our needs, it just doesn't make sense.

JS

David W. Jones
January 4th, 2009, 06:29 AM
well the letus/rails/50mm combo can be had for half the cost of the MkII. Or about 2K with the Elite.

Unless you were a wedding/event videographer.

FWIW I love the capabilities of the MkII. If it were not for the time restriction, this would be my companies next purchase; but for our needs, it just doesn't make sense.

JS

Well lets see...

The Canon EOS 5D mkII can be had for about $2700 for the body.
You will more than likely want to add the extended battery kit and purchase a few extra batteries, a tripod, as well as lenses if you don't already have a set.

The Letus Elite Starter Bundle w/rod support is about $2500.
You will then also need a video camera if you don't already have one, around $3500.
Not to mention a set of lenses, extra batteries, & all the other little things that nobody thinks they need until they really start shooting, like an external monitor w/batteries, larger tripod to support the extra weight, follow focus & gears, so forth.

You are right though, the 5d mkII does not make sense for long form projects.
But for someone like me where 90% of my projects are broadcast commercials,
it would be a great little tool.

It would also make a neat tool to capture the bride getting ready,
where a full video rig would be cumbersome in tight spaces..

Dan Chung
January 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM

As David points out, even the cheapest Brevis or Letus with a half decent camera added together costs more than the 5DmkII. Given that Scott already has an XH-A1 and is looking at an Ultimate or Elite it is certainly fair to say the 5dmkII is cheaper than the combo. However I think the quality margin that the 5DmkII has over an XH-A1 plus adapter is quite big, especially in low light. If he had an EX-1 or EX-3 then it might be a closer run thing.

If you are unlucky enough to live outside the US then it is going to be a lot dearer, the guys Phil advocates are here Creative Video > Search (http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/search.php?q=letus&w=1&page=0&limit=10&sorted=price&order=DESC)

Unless you were a wedding/event videographer

John, I was venturing my own opinion in light of owning 2 EX's a 5dmkII and a 35mm adapter. I'm not a regular wedding or event videographer and never claimed to be. That said if I wanted a 35mm look to a wedding I'd still be split 50/50 between going with a Letus or a 5dmkII. Run and gun with an adapter is not all that easy and you can always use a video camera without Letus for all the ceremony and speech bits if you are not too bothered about a 100% 35mm look.

Scott Gold
January 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I've decided that I can't use the 5DII for extensive film projects, although I will be using it for all my travel photography and quick fun vids.

My only decisions now are do I buy the Elite or Ultimate and also, what lenses, Canon EF or Nikon. I did some ebay browsing and have found some manual Nikon lenses for cheap!

Nice Canon glass isn't cheap but I could use it with the 5DII or later generations. I just hate that I'll have to take the lens off to make aperture changes.

Dan Chung
January 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Scott,

If you've made your mind up about the adapter route then I would venture that moving up to a Sony EX-1 with the best adapter you can afford would be the way to go. Others can chime in but I think an EX-1 plus Extreme would best an XH-A1 plus Ultimate in many cases. I've owned both the XH-A1 and EX-1 and would not go back.

As for lenses I would save money there and go for better camera and adapter first. Some of the older cheap Nikons are really good and while a new Zeiss will be better the improvement will be less than having spent to money on the camera and adapter side. Don't forget other older prime lenses as well, Zeiss lenses in Contax fit or even Leica lenses will adapt well to a Letus in EOS mount.

Dan

Scott Gold
January 4th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I can't justfy the EX1 at this point, as my XH-A1 is a little over 6 months old.
I'm leaning towards the Ultimate at this point with an assortment of old ebay Nikon lenses.

David W. Jones
January 4th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I find it amusing how many posts there are on the internet from "Filmmakers" that have immediately ruled out the 5DmkII as a filmmaking tool because it's clips are limited to 12 minutes at this point. I'm guessing that they have never shot real 35mm film, or they would know that a 1000' mag will get you about the same shooting time.
Sorry I digress!

If it were me, I would get the less expensive DOF adapter, and the nicer lenses, that could also be used on your DSLR.

As Dan mentions, both Zeiss & Leica offer exceptional lenses.
I currently own a set of Contax mount Zeiss lenses with a Brevis, that has replaced renting a P+S Mini35 & Zeiss Super Speed combo.

I have about 4 more Contax mount lenses that I'm looking to purchase to round out my kit, before I start to assemble my Leica R mount kit.

Good Luck with your decision!

Dan Chung
January 5th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Scott,

I know its always hard to give up essentially new gear but if you are spending that kind of money an Ultimate is then I would be looking at an EX-1.

So instead of a XH-A1 plus Ultimate I would sell the XH-A1 and get an EX-1 plus Letus Extreme for the same kind of money. It should give you a better result, you only have to look at Phil Bloom's original footage done on the EX-1/Extreme combo. You can always get an Ultimate later on when funds allow.

There was an EX-1 used for sale here for little more than an Ultimate here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/private-classifieds/139888-sony-pmw-ex1-sale.html. Coupled with the new cheap SD card solutions over on the EX forum it should be a better option.

Dan

Dan Chung
January 5th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Scott,

Forgot to say, don't forget you can get away with using the EX-1 without an external monitor with a Letus. This is not true for the XH-A1, if you don't have a HD monitor already you would have to factor one of those in too.

Dan

Scott Gold
January 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Blooms footage is great, but I've seen the similar with Steven Dempsey's XH-A1 footage.
I believe the EX1 is the better camera, but I already own a XH-A1 and it can make the films I want make with ease. If I upgrade, I will do a serious upgrade and move to something like the Scarlet.

I'm leaning towards the Canon EF lenses now. Looks like I can use them on my 40D, 5DII, Letus and hopefully the Scarlet one day.

Dan Chung
January 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Scott,

EF lenses are right a pain to use for video right now, I for the life of me don't see why you would choose that route! I have several Canon L lenses and don't touch them for video work. It seems like your determined to make it hard for yourself.

I've owned the XH-A1 and EX-1 (and 5DmkII), the EX-1 really produces a much better image than the XH-A1, honest.

If you are going Scarlet at some point in the future why not go for the EX-1 + extreme now? seeing as you are going to ditch the Letus anyway? how is that cost effective? surely better to lose on the XH-A1 now rather than a Letus Ultimate later?

Dan

David W. Jones
January 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Blooms footage is great, but I've seen the similar with Steven Dempsey's XH-A1 footage.
I believe the EX1 is the better camera, but I already own a XH-A1 and it can make the films I want make with ease. If I upgrade, I will do a serious upgrade and move to something like the Scarlet.

I'm leaning towards the Canon EF lenses now. Looks like I can use them on my 40D, 5DII, Letus and hopefully the Scarlet one day.

You will then need to carry a DSLR with you when you shoot with the Letus in order to make any aperture changes. A real pain in the....

John Stakes
January 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Scott, the question isn't if you upgrade, but when ; )

You will then need to carry a DSLR with you when you shoot with the Letus in order to make any aperture changes. A real pain in the....

I agree...the good thing is that in most situations (at least with me) I just "set it and forget it." But as David said, I wouldn't recommend it...

All in all, as with Dan and David, it solely depends on your preferences and requirements (you never get tired of hearing that eh..) So I will just tell you what I would do. If I planned on having a nice collection of lenses, I would go with ones that will be interchangeable to each product. If I was only going to have say one nice prime and one nice zoom lens (for each product), I would get Nikon for the DOF adapter...and whatever nice Canon glass you want for the MkII.

JS

Christopher Warwick
January 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM
It really depends on your output type, if you are only ever going to output 30p to computer or web the you really could use the 5dmKII as your primary camera. If on the other hand you are working for TV broadcasters then an EX with its variable frame rates makes a lot more sense. If you are going to make a film it is very much in the balance.

[..] But if I had to choose only one it would have to be the 5dmkII.Dan

Apologies in advance if you weren't suggesting the 5DmkII as a replacement set camera...

But Dan, I'm sorry - no one is going to take you seriously as a filmmaker rigging up your 5DMKII on set. Sure, it's a cool SLR, takes great shots and 12 minutes is more than enough for most takes in any film... But a film set camera it isn't for the simple reason it has limited functionality and is impractical. Although it would make a pretty sight fitting a matte box on the end of it...

When I upgrade, it will probably be to the Scarlet, but realistically I'm looking at 2010.

For now, think I'll stick to my XH A1 + Letus Elite!

Chris

Scott Gold
January 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I think you said it best Christopher, I'll upgrade in 2010 or 2011. For now, I'm sticking with a proven setup that will get my movie made, the XH-A1 and Letus. When I sell my XH-A1 and Letus a few years from now I'll still be able to get a pretty penny for it, I just sold my bare GL2 last year for $1,300.

However, I will still be buying a 5DII this year for the photography side of things and will definitely be playing with it's video features.

Christopher Warwick
January 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM
For now, I'm sticking with a proven setup that will get my movie made, the XH-A1 and Letus.

Well Scott, I don't quite understand why you are being advised to sell your XH A1 to buy an EX-1. I'm quite sure you, like myself and other proud XH A1 owners have done extensive research before finally deciding on the A1. Boffins could argue for endless hours about what picture grade looks better between all the high-end prosumer cameras.

At the end of the day, the A1 is an excellent and successful camera and in the right hands can produce superb results. The addition of a Letus adapter can only improve that result.

Back the the original question, I've toyed with the exact same dilemma. It's difficult to know (beforehand) whether back focus on the Elite over the Extreme is necessary or worth the extra $$$. I've made the personal decision, only through reading what pros like Philip Bloom (for example) had remarked having extensively used the various Letus flavours, that in this case, it is worth the extra bucks. See here: Philip Bloom Blog Archive My favourite things… (http://philipbloom.co.uk/2008/11/08/my-favourite-things/#more-1687) (that's an brilliant page by Philip)

Of course I would love the Ultimate and let me tell you I have been sorely tempted, but at nearly $5000, three times more than the Elite, and one third of my total budget for equipment, after much thought I've had to regrettably discount it for now. I could use that money on other equipment that will make a real difference to the end result.

Remember that like any film production, content is key. If your content is good, no one is going to give a rats arse about a picture grade difference the likes of an EX-1 vs XH A1. It just isn't worth considering.

Buckle down, choose the Letus that's right for you and concentrate on the production ahead. Wish I could help you choose, but I'm in the same boat as you!

Good luck,

Chris

Scott Gold
January 15th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Didn't know about that Philp Bloom favorite gear page. Thanks so much Chris!

Dan Chung
January 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'm not going to waste too much more time here but I'm certainly not the only one thinking that DSLR's are a perfectly useable film makers camera. Zacuto's Great Camera Shootout '08 on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/2437826)

If Zacuto are prepared to make and market this DSLR Filmmaker Baseplate Kit-Zacuto (http://store.zacuto.com/DSLR-Filmmaker-Baseplate-Kit.html)

and Red Rock Micro this Redrock for video DSLRs (http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html)

And both these companies make or sell 35mm adapters, Zacuto being main Letus dealers.

Yes there are plenty of issues with a 5dmkII or whatever next new DSLR camera Nikon and Canon bring out but how it 'looks' on set is not one of them. You can look perfectly serious on set with a DSLR. They do have limited functionality and I'm not suggesting they could be used in every feature environment, but like every other cinema tool it CAN have its place. One major advantage for many documentary feature films is that the 5DmkII's low light capabilities pretty much beat anything else out there including F35s , Reds, EX-3's and any HDV camera.

Well Scott, I don't quite understand why you are being advised to sell your XH A1 to buy an EX-1. I'm quite sure you, like myself and other proud XH A1 owners have done extensive research before finally deciding on the A1. Boffins could argue for endless hours about what picture grade looks better between all the high-end prosumer cameras.

At the end of the day, the A1 is an excellent and successful camera and in the right hands can produce superb results. The addition of a Letus adapter can only improve that result.

Because having owned and used XH-A1, Sony EX-1 and 3's I can tell you that the Sony is a far superior tool for adapter work, honest. For starters you can actually get away without using an external monitor, which if you are budget limited is a very good thing. The EX's LCD focus magnification and peaking functions are as good as it gets, especially with a Hoodsock added. Just look at how Phil Bloom works with his EX-1 and Letus to see that in action. The XH-A1 by comparison has a very average LCD that on its own is pretty much impossible to get focus with using an adapter, so you have to add the cost and weight of an Ikan, Marshall, Manhattan or whatever HD monitor for starters plus relevant mounting gear.

Also the XH-A1 can't compete with the EX low light performance, depending on what sort of features you shoot this can be critical when using an adapter. If you only ever shoot in lit studio environments then I would agree there is very little to choose between XH-A1 and EX footage, but many filmmakers have a wide degree of lighting sitations to cope with and for that the EX's are just better. This is where the higher bitrate of the Sony EX codec really helps over HDV too, it rocks in low light.

In many real world environments the difference between the XH-A1 and EX-1 image quality really is evident, not night and day but I would imagine far greater than the difference between Letus Elite and Ulitmate to your final image quality.

I was trying to point out that on a limited budget trading in an XH-A1 for EX-1 + Letus Elite would be a better option than spending roughly the same amount of money on keeping the XH-A1 and buying a Letus Ultimate + good external HD monitor. This is obviously only an opinion but maybe you should try directly asking those with more knowledge like Phil what he would do in the same situation.

Dan

Scott Gold
January 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Dan, you are right.
After careful research, I've discovered that the XH-A1 is an inferior camera to the EX-1 and EX-3. Tomorrow I will commit an honor suicide as I cannot go on living with with the XH-A1.

Dan Chung
January 19th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Hey everyone, I'm buying a Letus for my XH-A1 and I'd like to know what you think.

1. Do you think the Ultimate is worth the extra moola$$$????
2. How about the Elite, is that back focus adjustment worth the $$$ as well?
3. What lenses would you recommend? I current own a Canon SLR and noticed my lenses don't have manual aperture adjustments :( that was a bummer finding out.
4. Feel free to throw in any other suggestions for a 35mm adapter noobie.

Thanks!

Scott from your note of sarcasm I guess you weren't really serious about points 1 and 4. If you weren't considering the Ultimate I wouldn't be suggesting a Sony EX alternative, the XH-A1 is a fine camera and mated with a Letus Elite is a good value combination. It's just that the EX is a better adapter use camera IMHO. I don't think I'm alone in thinking this. Obviously money no object a Sony EX + Ultimate is the way to go (or RED), but from what you've been saying money counts.

Anyway if you really don't believe me then perhaps you should take a closer look at Phil's older stuff with the EX-1 and Extreme (basically same quality as you would get with the Elite) and then Steven Dempsey's with the XH-A1 and Ultimate. I know which I prefer the look of but each to their own.

The Letus Extreme By Philip Bloom On ExposureRoom (http://exposureroom.com/members/philipbloom.aspx/assets/7e1a0a3099b14d758a2f50b2e4fa876b/)
New Letus Ultimate Footage on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1307229)
Snow Day on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/2616420)

Scott Gold
January 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Dan, this thread has been very helpful. I've gotten all my questions answered despite your manifesto on the EX-1 and EX-3.

I appreciate your expertise.

Bruce S. Yarock
January 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Dan,
Excellent information. As someone who owns a Canon H1, A1 and Letus Extreme. I was really impressed by the quality of the EX1 and letus extreme on the Phil Bloom link. If the EX is much better in low light ( not to mention the beautifull image) it would be tempting. One of the most frustrating things about 35mm adaptor shooting (at least with the H1 and A1) is the need for so much light on indoor shoots. If I had the business revnue to justify it, I'd consider selling my Canon gear and getting a couple of Ex1's. But then again, I shot wedding for a company this week end and they wanted sd in 4:3!
I love the look of the Letus, and take any chance I get to us it.
Regards
Bruce S. Yarock

Christopher Warwick
January 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Anyway if you really don't believe me then perhaps you should take a closer look at Phil's older stuff with the EX-1 and Extreme (basically same quality as you would get with the Elite) and then Steven Dempsey's with the XH-A1 and Ultimate. I know which I prefer the look of but each to their own.

Hi Dan,

Sarcasm or joking aside, I don't think anyone wants to dispute your claims over the EX-1. Perhaps it does have slightly better picture quality and have a slight advantage in terms of low-light conditions.

I think the point I'm trying to make is, why should a guy who has done his research, invested in a more-than-amicable Canon XH-A1, suddenly sell the thing and find an EX-1 to buy in its stead? Let's say for argument's sake, the EX-1 is slightly better... Both cameras are similar in terms of picture quality and a slight differential doesn't justify the sale of one to invest in another (in my opinion). He already has the A1, he should stick with it and worry about more important stuff!

Now if you were suggesting an A1 sale in favour of, say, a Scarlett, for example, that might be worth a damn!

I have the A1 and I'm personally very happy with it, the only thing I miss is the ability to shoot faster frames for true slow motion... Having said that, Twixtor has helped me out where I needed that effect.

When I upgrade, it will likely be to the Scarlett, but I'll wait and see what happens in the meantime!

Chris

Bruce S. Yarock
January 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Good points, Chris. I'll be keeping mu Canons until-
1- Something unbelievable comes along, and also
2- I have the business to justify a gear upgrade.
In the meantime, I'll be happy I have what I have.
Bruce S. yarock

Scott Gold
January 19th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Chris, you've said it perfectly again.

I don't think anyone disagrees with Dan's comments on the EX-1, it's a great camera.
What sucks is listening to him rant about the EX-1 when I have already said that I'm sticking to the XH-A1.

Why would I want to sell all my XH-A1 gear and only make a slight upgrade to the EX-1.
$450 for 25min SxS cards is not my idea of an upgrade. I'll also need a laptop for the field to download the new small SxS cards, a new camera case, batteries and other misc accessories.

Granted, the EX-1 would be a better camera with the Letus, but it would cost me a fortune for a marginal advantage in picture quality and ease of use.

By the way, I'm getting the Elite for now and will invest good money into a worthy upgrade in 2010.

Dan Chung
January 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Scott,

By the way, I'm getting the Elite for now and will invest good money into a worthy upgrade in 2010.
Good choice, going for the Elite makes perfect sense with the Xh-a1, I've never disputed that. I'm sure you'll make some great film with it. The EX suggestions as I've repeated many times have been in response to your suggestion that you were might splash out on an Ultimate before upgrading your camera.

I don't think you understand the spirit of this forum, insulting people who are trying to help you by offering their experiences after you have asked for help is not good form. The only reason any of us bother to reply to you is because we've been there ourselves and are trying to save you and others the time, trouble and money.

Why would I want to sell all my Xh-A1 gear and only make a slight upgrade to the EX-1. Granted, the EX-1 would be a better camera with the Letus, but it would cost me a fortune for a marginal advantage in picture quality and ease of use.

I don't I have any particular liking for Sony, or hate Canon. I have free use of Xh-A1's and instead chose spend my own hard earned cash on an EX-1 system and subsiquently EX-3. I had spent a small fortune trying to kit out an Xh-A1 for adapter use and finally decided that I was better off with a EX. (I've since starting using the 5DmkII as well, but thats another story)

To quote Phil Bloom from another forum

The features mentioned above are all true...the most important thing is without ANY adaptor on it the EX1 picture is quite astounding, as good if not better at times than my F350. There is no way you can tell me the picture of the A1 is as good without an adaptor as my F350. It is in a different league, that doesn't make it a poor camera...it's still just about the best 1/3" HDV camera out there

there is a real problem with people making comments about cameras they haven't actually used. Trust me, get your hands on an EX1. Shoot some pictures then look back at them on an HD monitor, then tell me that you can't see a big difference in image quality. I would never comment on how one camera compares to another if I haven't actually used them both!

Don't believe it, look half way down this thread (Phil, join in here if you want)

Should I upgrade from the Canon AH-A1 to the Sony EX1? [Archive] - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking (http://dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-120020.html)

$450 for 25min SxS cards is not my idea of an upgrade. I'll also need a laptop for the field to download the new small SxS cards, a new camera case, batteries and other misc accessories.

FYI, you will of course need batteries but you don't have to use SxS if you are on a budget and you can just plug the camera into a computer by USB anyway. Certainly beats my Firestore or the Sony CF card recorder.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/141642-exhaustive-list-sdhc-cards-ex1-compatible.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/139961-mxr-expresscard-reader-moves-final-qc-shipping.html

Surely you will need a new case anyway? how were you planning to transport your Letus rig? are you really going to break if down every time?

Scott Gold
January 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I've stoked this fire long enough. Thanks for your help everyone!