View Full Version : Audio Distortion

Glenn McCabe
September 2nd, 2003, 07:29 PM
When recording bands such as at a wedding or outdoor venue, audio distortion is very bad at times - (I am using the DM-50) - and using manual settings but still get distortion. (audio is fine in normal situations) Question is: will turning on the Mic Attenuator and setting the audio to auto solve this problem, and will it leave me with decent sound? Also, in all situations is it really better to just leave the audio set to auto anyway? No budget for additional equipment. (I've found a lot of great info on this board, thanks to all that take the time to respond) Thanks.

Dany Nativel
September 2nd, 2003, 08:33 PM
I used an external mic preamp (MM-1) and got distortion yesterday because I didn't set the levels correctly.

The max level you don't want to go over is -12dB. So adjust your levels accordingly to avoid this limit.

Having MIC ATT can help to reduce the circuit noise. If your mike is “hot” enough you will still get usable signal.

Distortions may also come from the microphone itself when used under loud environment.

Dany

Don Palomaki
September 3rd, 2003, 06:22 PM
MIC ATT setting will reduce distortion caused by clipping due to loud sounds.

Some low cost mics may have distortion problem in very loud venues (e.g., rock concerts).

Using AGC can help in venues whre there is a wide range in amplitude of the sound and you are not trying to preserve that dynamic range in the recording.

Glenn McCabe
September 3rd, 2003, 06:55 PM
Thank you for your reply -

Please elaborate on : "Using AGC" & no, I am not trying to preserve that dynamic range in the recording - I just need a decent recording without distortion - this is mostly event video work with this camera, and when moving around the room with a loud band distortion occurs. Thank you in advance for your reply -

GM

Don Palomaki
September 4th, 2003, 04:22 AM
To simplify a bit, AGC mode senses the average audio level coming out of the amplifiers and adjusts the gain up or down (within a certain range) to try maintain the same average level.

TRy it soem time and see if you are satisfied with the result.