HVR-Z5U Brochure

http://www.papahui.com/hvr-z5u_pdf.pdf

K.C. Luke
December 31st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the share will take a read before buy 2nd cam

Adam Folickman
January 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM
Also, two other good web pages for information are

Sony Product Detail Page - HVRZ5U (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-hdv/product-HVRZ5U/)

Sony : HVR-Z5E (HVRZ5E) : Product Overview : United Kingdom (http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=HVR-Z5E&site=biz_en_GB&pageType=Overview&imageType=Main&category=HDVCamcorders)

Giroud Francois
January 1st, 2009, 04:36 AM
well, according to the PDF, the Z5 still has 960x1080 pixel CMOS

Ron Evans
January 1st, 2009, 08:18 AM
The Clearvid sensor is actually 960x540 photo diodes and the resulting pixels are interpolated. IF you draw a grid of 1920x1080 over the Clearvid array of 960x540 you will see that the pixels fall in both the centre of the photo diodes and in the space between each photo diode. As described in the brochure. Each pixel is either interpolated from 4 photo diodes or taken from one diode. The photo diodes are in fact twice the size of the resulting pixels. Which may account for the low light performance. So it isn't too different from the Panasonic just a different way of getting the final density one Clearvid the other pixel shifting. One optimized for 1080i the other maybe optimized for 720P. My SR11 has a single chip Clearvid with the same approach recording 1920x1080i to AVCHD and I can assure you it looks sharper than my FX1!!!! So 3 Clearvid should be even sharper with better low light as it will not have the colour filter of the single chip in the same way. I think the EX1 uses the same approach on a 1/2" chip.

Ron Evans

Khoi Pham
January 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM
They talk about the 6 blade iris diaphram giving you beautiful background blur, do you guys know if it has less dof than other 1/3 inch chips camera?

Greg Laves
January 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM
I think the EX1 uses the same approach on a 1/2" chip. Ron Evans

The EX1 has 3 - 1920 x 1080 1/2" CMOS ClearVid Chips from what I remember reading.

William Ellwood
January 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
They talk about the 6 blade iris diaphram giving you beautiful background blur, do you guys know if it has less dof than other 1/3 inch chips camera?
One of the great things about the descriptions of the Z5 is that it seems to offer another huge range of creative possibilities to our arsenal. I can't wait to get playing with mine, getting the iris cranked open, and seeing what the dof is all about.

What I don't get though is the difference between 25p native progressive mode and 25p progressive scan mode. Is the latter not interlaced??

I'll play with the options and get hints about what people are finding neat with these variants.

Ron Evans
January 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
The EX1 has 3 - 1920 x 1080 1/2" CMOS ClearVid Chips from what I remember reading.

I just couldn't find any other description than " effective pixel count of 1920x1080" So I assumed it was the same as the Clearvid CMOS as my SR11 is also billed as EXMOR CMOS.

Ron Evans