View Full Version : Free encoding of .m2t files from JVC HD10U camera

Fernando Vossa
September 3rd, 2003, 09:18 PM
I was also able to open and encode the source transport files .m2t using the free Windows Media Encoder!

Just change the .m2t extension on your files to .mpg

download encoder from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/ProducingHDVideo.aspx

This section has nice info on the entire digital media in High Def process.

You have a variety of encoding capabilities at various quality levels.

Fernando

Ken Hodson
September 4th, 2003, 02:50 PM
It says to encode to WindowsMedia 9 from Mpeg2-ts the following applies-

"A Motion Pictures Experts Group-2 (MPEG-2) transport stream. (Note that this process is not covered in detail in this article.) To source from an MPEG-2 transport stream, you must install an MPEG-2 decoder that is capable of decoding high-definition MPEG-2 streams on the encoding computer. For information about obtaining an MPEG-2 decoder, see the MP3 Creation Packs and DVD Decoders page."

So it says you can not directly encode you must buy and install a mpeg2-ts encode/decode software. How did you manage to get around this? Did you already have other software installed? Like the EMpgPlayer?

Fernando Vossa
September 4th, 2003, 06:07 PM
I am not sure how to tell what codec my system is using to interpret the MPEG-2 files.

I have installed several applications that may include that:

Roxio Easy CD-Creator 5 - DVD Builder

RealOne Player ver. 2
Window Media Player 9

Adobe Premiere 6.5 (download demo version from Adobe)

The way I got the Window Media encoder to work was to change the extension on the .m2t file to .mpg, launched encoder, and it starts up in a wizard that asks about your project;

selected "Convert a File"

then prompts for source file and destination file. I just pointed to the renamed source .mpg file

then in the next dialog I selected "Hardware Devices (CD, DVD, Portable)

next

Encoding options:

Video - High Definition Video Quality (5mbps VBR)

Audio : High Definition (VBR)

Next

bla bla info

Finish.

It created a new .wmv file and this was able to play in windows Media Player and RealOne Player.

Please note that I could preview the original .m2t file in Media Player without any encoding.

Let me know if this helps.

Fernando

Ken Hodson
September 4th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Interesting. My media player 9, without any specific mpeg2-ts software will not play those files , as per MS instructions.
Of course they play fine if I install EMpgPlayer, or any software encoder/decoders MS recommends.
But it seems you have discovered a quick and easy way to convert -ts files to WM9.

Sasha Froyland
September 10th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Has anyone tried to edit the .avi files with Adobe Premier after converted to .avi? I would be very interested in the performance of the edit while editing these converted .avi files.