View Full Version : p2 and audio

Spike Spiegel
January 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM
When I import a p2 (.mxf) into premiere pro cs3, it shows me 4 tracks of audio associated with 1 video file... And the first track that contains the audio (from 1 input on the mic), is showing up as 'mono' although the audio comes out of both L and R speakers... However, premiere is showing only 1 audio level bar for that audio track as opposed to 2 (one for L, one for R)...

Why is this happening? Why is it not like HDV or DV in general where you get one track of audio associated with one track of video, and its showing you how its split across left and right channels... Any help appreciated

Dick Campbell
January 5th, 2009, 10:05 AM
P2 always records 4 channels of audio. Channels 3 and 4 are reserved for the internal mics, and the record level is fixed and cannot be changed. (HVX200/HPX170)

Channels 1/2 record what is selected. If you do not connect external mics and select Internal for 1/2, you can control the levels from the camera mics on those two channels, but 3/4 will still record the internal at a fixed level.

If you connect and select external mics (or mixer sources) to go to 1/2, you can control those levels (mic or line level), and 3/4 will still record the internals. Notice that you can even select the External #2 input to got to both 1 and 2 (which is what I do when using one external mic).

So, each channel is technically mono (mics are always mono). How you output those as L/R stereo depends on how your editor is set up. You actually have more editing flexibility than with a DV single stereo track.

Spike Spiegel
January 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks Dick!

Another question for ya, i'm using the HPX 500 and have a lav connected into input 1, and while the head phone is showing that audio is being recorded in both channels, the camera shows that only 1 channel is being utilized... I am only seeing one bar on the LCD, whereas, there should be 2, one for L, one for R... Does the hpx500 do mono only? I've tried every setting possible, but I keep getting one bar to show up on LCD, how do I get it so its showing me both L and R? THanks

Dick Campbell
January 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM
You have 4 channels you can control on the 500, and you have to direct which inputs go where. I don't have a 500, so your best bet is to get out the manual.

TingSern Wong
January 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
You said you connected ONE lav into one input, right? How can that be two channels then? It has to be mono - so, the camera is right.

And what kind of headphone are you using? Haven't seen one that can show audio visually.