View Full Version : panasonic P2 viewer

Robert Bobson
January 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I'm trying to look at MXF files that were transfered from a P2 card to my computer's hard drive.

I found this Panasonic P2 viewer and P2 management software -

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/

but when it comes time to download the appropriate drivers, they seem to be defined by the P2 card attachment: USB, firewire, Esata.

The footage is already on my computer.

or is there another program that will better allow me to view and manipulate the MXF files?

Thanks

Dick Campbell
January 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
You don't need the drivers to use P2 Viewer, if you can get the MXF files copied to your computer. Once the files strucutre is on the hdd, you can set a "virtual P2" to view the files.

If you're on a Mac, you don't need drivers to transfer via firewire. Not sure about a PC, becasue I use a Duel Adaptor, but I do know you have to have the camera attached via usb to get them to install (IIRC).

TingSern Wong
January 25th, 2009, 08:48 PM
You can copy everything on the P2 card into your Hard-disk, then use a NLE to view them (I use Canopus EDIUS).

If you prefer not to copy, and have a laptop equipped with a normal Cardbus slot, you can plug your P2 card into the notebook and view the clips directly from there, using a NLE.

Just to be on the safe side, enable the write protect tab on the P2 card if you directly access the data on the P2 card.

Robert Bobson
January 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
don't you need to load them into your NLE first to be able to view them?

I'd like to use the Panasonic P2 viewer to view them first.

I don't know which P2 driver to load with the viewer. The only ones they offer are based on how the P2 card is attached- and my files are already on Hard drive....

TingSern Wong
January 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I know what you mean. You can select just the PCMCIA driver. The driver is optional ... mainly, it is the P2 viewer software that you want.

Please note - P2 viewer can only either play the video at half rate and full raster OR half raster and full rate.

If you want full rate and full raster - NLE is the only way to preview your video.