View Full Version : Back to Stability! Grazie Rocks - apparently!

Graham Bernard
September 9th, 2003, 11:44 PM
I've been practising and practising and practising different ways of holding and making the XM2 more "responsive" to stabilizing my own wayward movements - and those movements aren't that wayward - let me tell you!

I've written threads here explaning how I've come to hold the Cammie - And yet I'm still perplexed. I've had to take some remedial action in post-prod. I'm now using Dynapel's SteadyHand to smooth out some of the "jerky" movements.

There appears to be a very slight mechanical "window" of opportunity that the cammie works within. It's almost as if you have to keep the cammie rock solid still otherwise the OS will kick in , and with some jerkiness to boot! WHat's the point of having this fine OS technology, if at the end of the day it is saying, "Well, what do expect dummie!? Put it on a tripod!!" . - Neddles to say. when I do put it on a tripod it is rock solid. No change there then!

As I say, I didn't have this with an old "Annie Pannie" - this had a simple steady shot - or whatever you wanna call it - so I know what I'm saying I CAN get steady well shot, non-jerky footage. It aint the cameraman. Actually, I had a chance to do some shooting with it a couple of weeks ago, and my footage was nicely . . ..welll..... . steady!

I need to get on with this and find an "In-The-Field" solution. I aint gonna use one of those mechanical stabilizers - what I shoot is slow enough to at least be filmed with some simple camera work.

In most other department this cammie is great for the value - BUT if it crows about having an OS option then let me have it working as it should - IMHO!

Grazie

Roland Barth
September 14th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Hey Grazie,
Thought I'd give you at least one answer, since you responded to my last one.
For what it's worth -- I'm just starting to experiment with holding the GL2, I also use the tripod, both in the field -- here's what I'm doing right now.
I carry mine on the Canon strap, extended all the way, over my right shoulder, so the GL2 rests on my back. When I shoot I bring it forward and hold it up high on my torso, with the LCD about 6-8" from my eyes. The I twist my body and tilt up and down to shoot. The strap is then tight and gives fairly good stability. I certainly prefer that to the standard shoulder position and eyepiece mode; for me the camera is too light for that mode. I also tried operating with the handle and did not like that mode either.
I'd be interested in other ideas as well.
Roland

Graham Bernard
September 15th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Roland - This is an excellent idea! So, you're using the shoulder strap as a type of brace against your own body?

Thanks

Grazie

Roland Barth
September 15th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Yes, if the strap were a little longer, wearing it accross the neck would improve the stability even more. I have my left hand on the focus ring and my right hand on the outside of the Velco grip to operate the zoom buttons with my thumb (hope this description makes sense).
Another reason I don't use the standard Velco grip position, is that it seems to be designed for small hands. I have large hands and the operating buttons are not comfortable for me, no matter how I adjust the Velcro strap.
Cheers.
Roland

Jeff Donald
September 15th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Grazie, I guess I'm confused by your post. Are you looking for a more stable method of holding your camera? Or are you suggesting the OIS isn't working properly? I'm just not sure what the issue is beyond your not happy with your footage as it exists.