View Full Version : Zoom messed up?

David Woodland
September 9th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Hey board..gotta question. I've had my gl2 since june and have had no problems with it until a few weeks ago. For some reason every now and then when I zoom in using the zoom grip, not the handle, it will either keep zooming and zooming when i let go of it.. or it will zoom in super slow. I've got it set on variable and the handle zoom is on fast, not that it matters but yeah. Is there a setting that I may have hit to make this zoom by itself? I've got a 4 year warranty so I can send it in if I need to. Please respond if you have any answer to solving my problem.

Chris Hurd
September 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Sounds like a service call. I'd send it to Jamesburg if I were you -- it's still under factory warranty.

Graham Bernard
September 10th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Ho! I had this too a couple of weeks ago - I thought I was seeing things - honest! - And yes, a "creeping" zoom - but when you want it, it would be good. I don't think - I'm almost certain we don't have one though.

I have no idea how all this stuff works ie the eletro-mechanical part but maybe there was a temporary "sticking-point" that went away - it has with me!

Grazie

David Woodland
September 10th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Yea I'm not gonna worry about it for now. But if I happen to get a few more problems with the camera I'll send it in for sure. I don't understand why you have to pay so much for something that is going to fail on you for sure over time. These people need to start making better products!

Federico Dib
September 10th, 2003, 12:18 PM
That thing happened to me last friday while shooting a live concerts... (luckily we had multi camera)..
The only way for me to make it work and not ruin the shots.. was to press zoom in once and when the zoom reached the point I needed I pressed zoom back just a little and It stopped....

I donīt know whatīs up with this... later that night it started to work right again... althoug between bands... I did change the zoom speeds a few times in the menu to try and solve the problem... So maybe that fixed it...

Havenīt had the problem again.. and we shot a few hours more of some fireworks the day after the concert and a small fiction movie yesterday...

Maybe it doesnīt like a lot zooming in and out continuosly??? I did that a lot on the concert...

Graham Bernard
September 10th, 2003, 12:26 PM
This is truly spooky!

Federico Dib
September 10th, 2003, 12:47 PM
I just think that The XM/GL- are just independent cameras with strong personality that have a little trouble with authority...
... that makes them Adolescent Cameras.

Alan Craven
October 18th, 2003, 05:38 AM
This has started to happen on my three year old XM/GL1. The zoom rocker on the cassette compartment seems to react to the slightest touch at the T end - the W end is far less sensitive. It occasionaslly seems to turn itself on, and also sometimes continues to zoom very slowly when I release the zoom rocker.

Could the internal battery be failing? I assume this does rather more than just maintain settings like time and date.

Alan Craven
October 24th, 2003, 01:59 PM
A little experimentation shows that this problem, in my camera at least, is due to the Zoom control rocker switch on the cassette compartment door. If this is pushed sideways, towards the main body of the camera, the spontaneous zooming, and continued zooming after the control is released, stop.

I have effected a "cure" by glueing the tail of a cable tie to the outside of the rocker to press it inwards. I have had no more zoom problems since. I hope this holds together, as I am about to take off on the ten week trip to New Zealand.

Bobby Malingkas
October 28th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Wow... Looks like Gl2 got another problem, That was happened to me last weekend when covered for Big wedding about 500 people at the church and my babies stop to zooming or if the zoom working they still going until you press backward to stop it.
Its Purchase last December. Shoud i send this babies to Canon for repair...???

Bobby Malingkas
Avio ST & GL2

Steve Hancock
November 7th, 2003, 10:31 PM
My GL2 is a few months out if warranty and has probably had much more use than average - lots of zooming for sports videos, etc. My camera has had all of the zoom problems discussed in this thread, and ultimately the main zoom button quit completely. The cause was cracking of the ribbon wire below the zoom key on the cassette door. Apparantly Canon (at least in Canada) has a repair bulletin (no. AD-1378F) in place which upgrades to a stronger cassette door and new zoom button - there was no charge to me.

Graham Bernard
November 7th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Steve - where is this repair bulletin? On a Website? - I'm very interested . . .

Grazie

Bobby Malingkas
November 8th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Finaly send my babies to canon service center and wait for another 15 days, I let you know when my babies arrive.

Jeff Donald
November 8th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Service bulletins are internal company memos, directed to the service departments. Generally the exact nature of service bulletins are not released to the public. They advise service managers on specific conditions encountered in the products life cycle. In a few cases they will advise on treating certain defects and how they pertain to a cameras warranty status.

Bobby Malingkas
November 13th, 2003, 08:32 PM
OK...Finaly my babies arive from Canon service center, it took only 5 days.They repaired my zoom rocker and now performed good, But another problem is, They (Canon service center) didn't make tight with cassette compartment, so every time i react with zoom control T or W possition it brings up the sound ..clik..clik..which is noticeable even from 5 feet away. To avoid the sound i put the scotchtape between cassette compartment and body the camera.
OR....Should i returned again to Canon ...???? Oh...My GL2...

Federico Dib
February 13th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Im sorry to inform myself that my XM2 zoom passed away during act of duty last night. It leaves behind wife, two children, 40 hours of taping, and a big annoying feeling to the owner.

I guess itīs time to check Canon Service here in Barcelona...
oh well...

Jim OMalley
February 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM
As a temporary "workaround" for this zoom problem, have you tried using the ZR-1000 zoom remote control? Anytime I do a "formal" shoot on a tripod, it's the only zoom control I use.

I recognize that this is not a cheap (or permanent) solution to the problem (also not too good for handheld situations) -- but possibly a quick way to keep the camera working in an emergency.

Federico Dib
February 13th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Well when using handheld I can manage to use the top handle zoom controll, as long as I dont have to focus and zoom at the same time... I had to do it last night.

And when on a tripod If itīs a zoom while recording I usually try to use the remote control anyway... BUt sometimes I miss a third arm...

The ZR-1000 zoom remote control is one of those items that stays permanently on my shopping list... I allways manage to send the money somewhere else...
And I guess this time Iīll be sending the money to the Canon Repair Service..

Oh well...

Marco Leavitt
February 13th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Interesting thread. The zoom on my GL1 has recently started acting strangely. Never had a complaint before. Is there some kind of camcorder flu going around?

Graham Bernard
February 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Yup, me too . . Zoooooom in . .does not stop, until I "back" zoom the toggle. ^Thought Canon had this beat the last time it went in for service . . . Yes, my ZR 1000 beats the Zoom Flu Blues!

Grazie

Alan Craven
February 24th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Unfortunately my XM1 was effectively dead on return from my New Zealand trip. All my efforts were being devoted to trying to stop it zooming. The LANC remote does not help - I use it all the time when the camera is on a tripod - the fault overrides the remote.

It has taken me six weeks to get an estimate for repair! This is for Ģ204, and I am promised a maximum of ten days before the camera is back with me. We shall see.

My repairer tells me that the entire cassette compartment door will be replaced, as the zoom rocker and its ribbon cable to the main circuit board are not available separately. The fault is in the ribbon cable where it exits the rocker switch. Unfortunately this is not a soldered joint, but switch and cable are a sealed unit.

It looks as though one needs to be gentle when opening and closing the cassette compartment door. It certainly has a tendency to flex when you do.

Canon UK tell me that they have never heard of the fault, and none of their service network in the UK have even bothered to reply to a query about a repair.

Alan Craven
March 5th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Finally got my XM1 back yesterday. They have replaced the complete cassette compartment door assembly as promised, and all is now fine. The new rocker switch has a very different feel to the old one - much smoother and more progressive resistance to pressure.

The engineer's report states that the problem was caused by cracking of the ribbon cable where it emerges from the rocker switch, and that as this is a sealed unit, it cannot be repaired - I wonder?

They also say that the most probable cause of the failure is physical shock.

John C Heid
March 6th, 2004, 08:24 AM
This common zoom problem makes me question my decision to buy a GL2 as a travel cam (I plan to do so Monday 3/08/04).

Are there steps to take in using the GL2 to reduce the chances of encountering this common problem, or has Canon solved it with their latest shipments?

Do you recopmmend buying a 4 year (Mack) extended warranty with the GL2?

Jim OMalley
March 6th, 2004, 08:47 AM
I wonder how "common" this zoom problem actually is. We certainly can't determine that from just reading these posts. Is there an online resource that can give repair rates and histories for the GL2? (Kinda like what Consumer Reports does?)

Federico Dib
March 6th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Iīm sending mine this week for repair... (Iīve been using the handle zoom meanwhile)..
The guy at the store I bought my camera from (the biggest in sales in Barcelona) told me he has only heard once about something similar...
And the guys at canon repair here told me that they have never heard of or had to fix this problem...

So it might not be that common...
BUt who knows if they are telling the truth...

Just keep in mind that the XM2 or GL2 are very common.. and the sample rate in this forum is not enough to be a valid statistic indicator.

Alan Craven
March 7th, 2004, 04:48 AM
John C,

My XM1 is over three years old and has had a lot of use, always in the great outdoors.

To be fair it has had two hard knocks, one when nearly new and the second about the time this zoom fault first occurred. At this time I cannot be certain whether I had the "auto-zoom" before the second knock or not. I certainly saw it straight after the knock.

With hindsight, perhaps I could have claimed on my insurance. It would barely have been worth the hassle as the repair was only Ģ55 more than my excess. I think I get a no claims discount too!

Hagop Matossian
March 8th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I have exactly the problem Federico Dib describes... It started happening about 10 months after I got the camera. I debated whether to send it off while still under warranty, and decided against it, as I was using it too much and would be unable to complete some projects without it.

The only way to get it fixed would be if someone provided me with a loan camera... I still use my GL2 every other day, the dodgy zoom grip has just become a resident evil of my work, luckily I havent missed any sweet shots due to excessive zoom, and as I'm usually the only person to see my rushes no-ones the wiser. I use the handle whenever i can. I tend to avoid zooming when possible, after 2 years of solid camerawork I have a very steady hand & prefer to dolly (walk!) back and forth

It does piss me off though. I loved the 3 stages of sensitivity the zoom grip had

John C Heid
March 8th, 2004, 05:47 PM
I ordered a GL2 today from B-H Photo, with a 4 year MACK Camera warranty extension. Thanks for tipping me off about this potential problem. The smaller size, common menu / batteries to the XL-1S, and 20:1 lens w/OIS won me over despite the problems.

Cosmin Rotaru
July 28th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Yea, I got the zoom rocker issue... :(
I guess my XM2 sit to close to a sick fellow! :)

It was a hot wedding - I thought it had to to with the vapors...

Oh well. When it'll be so bad that I won't be able to use it anymore, I'll fix it myself! (got just the right hammer for that)

Graham Bernard
July 28th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Sorry Cosmin . . mine comes and goes .. I can often overifde it with my LANC . .. I think there is a radio interference issue. I've had this happen twice around a friend's house - mind you he ONLY likes SONY kit - but leaving mine on in my house for 4 hours . .nothing . .not a problem at all .. totally weird ..

.. .sorry again .. it is a real bummer too!

Grazie

Paul Colt
July 28th, 2004, 11:53 PM
I had just bought a new XM2 and the zoom rocker went wacko on a shoot in Thailand so they replaced the whole zoom controller for free! No no problems. If you research it Canon has a bulletin out on this problem. Now I use a exterior zoon controler ( Vari-Zoom) so I rarely touch the handle or grip rockers.
Good luck

Graham Bernard
July 29th, 2004, 12:03 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Colt : I had just bought a new XM2 and the zoom rocker went wacko on a shoot in Thailand so they replaced the whole zoom controller for free! No no problems. If you research it Canon has a bulletin out on this problem. Now I use a exterior zoon controler ( Vari-Zoom) so I rarely touch the handle or grip rockers.
Good luck -->>>

Thanks Paul - Where is this report from Canon?

Grazie

Cosmin Rotaru
July 29th, 2004, 07:05 AM
got home last night and tried to reproduce the issue: I coldn't!
Now that you mention, I do remember a video8 Sony at that wedding! :)

K. Forman
July 29th, 2004, 07:17 AM
I have had my GL1 for almost 3 years now, and, knock on simulated woodgrain product, no problems. I guess it was a componant improvement that is causing this bug. I love solid, old fashion craftsmanship!

Hans Nyberg
July 29th, 2004, 08:20 AM
I have the same "creeping zoom" issue with my 18 month old GL-2. When I contacted Canon they denied any knowledge of this problem. I emailed them a link to this thread and this is their response.

Dear Mr. Nyberg,

Thank you for writing to us. I do apologize, but Canon USA does not
monitor, confirm, endorse, or attest to the accuracy of any information
posted on third party websites. It seems many customers are overwhelmed
by the barrage of information (or misinformation) being posted on
unregulated, non-Canon websites. Unfortunately, this is not something
which Canon has any control over. We are able only to confirm the
performance of the camera based on our own testing.

Unfortunately, if the issue continues the unit will require testing
internally.

Sincerely,

Todd
Product Support Representative

Their position is understandable, maybe, but it's still disappointing that they wont even take a look at a well respected forum like this one.

K. Forman
July 29th, 2004, 08:26 AM
It sounds like the debates about the Ford Pinto... remember those?

Paul Colt
August 2nd, 2004, 01:35 PM
The report I got was from the Canon Asia maintenance center in Kuala Lumpur so maybe it never made it over the big pond. I only read it after they repaired my new camera so I don't have a copy to share , sorry.

Thomas Gay
August 3rd, 2004, 08:28 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by John C Heid : I ordered a GL2 today from B-H Photo, with a 4 year MACK Camera warranty extension. Thanks for tipping me off about this potential problem. The smaller size, common menu / batteries to the XL-1S, and 20:1 lens w/OIS won me over despite the problems. -->>>

Glad to hear that you got the extended warranty. I thought I would never have to have it myself but after losing my A/V in/out connection I wish I would have. But I think all in all the GL2 is a good camera.

Cosmin Rotaru
August 16th, 2004, 04:34 AM
problem solved! :)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=212490#post212490