View Full Version : Head & Sticks Mix 'n Match

Andrew Petrie
September 10th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Who else has customized their tripods? I'm leaning towards a Vinten head, and Miller sticks w/ midspreader. I think Vinten's $700 mid spreader price is beyond rediculous, and you must buy it seperately (no kits with the mid). So to save a chunk of change, customizing it sounds like a good idea.

I'm assuming all 75mm bowls are made equal? That's my only concern, I mean it's just a ring the head sits/clamps on to, right?

Jeff Donald
September 10th, 2003, 07:36 AM
You shouldn't have any problem combining different parts. The reason it's not done more often is that many models get a kit price. Buying parts separately may add slightly to the overall cost. However, you get a system that may better suit your needs and budget.

Andrew Petrie
September 10th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Yes Jeff, there's discounted pricing when buying the complete kit, but I can't believe Vinten would sell their mid spreaders for that price. I think I'm saving a lot of $ going the customized route in this case.

Jeff Donald
September 10th, 2003, 10:02 AM
I would think so too, Andrew. $700 is an extreme amount in my opinion. Your better off doing what your doing.

Christopher Go
September 12th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Andrew, let us know when you get your tripod, that's a good idea I've given little thought to - I might follow in your steps now that you've brought it up...

Another small caveat to the custom route is that you have to also purchase a tripod bag/case seperately since most good packages include one.

Should still be cheaper than the full $2000 Vinten system's cost in the end though...

Dean Harrington
September 15th, 2003, 07:31 PM
head combined with manetti legs is the route I'm exploring at the moment. Like the manetti legs - a lot like Libec.