View Full Version : Looking For a New HD Camera?

Mark Von Lanken
February 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I posted this on the Panasonic AVCCAM forum, but if you are like I used to be, you may not give that section of the forum much thought.

Here's the link to the review I did of the HMC150. It includes the first of five video clips.

EventDV.net: In the Field: Panasonic AG-HMC150 (http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=52607)

Yang Wen
February 17th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the review. I'm strongly considering this cam. I downloaded your MTS clips the other day and to my surprise, they played back better than I thought on my Q6600 quad core..

Unfortunately the comparison video doesn't show the noise characteristics of the Panny and Sony. Is the Sony much grainier in real-life?

Mark Von Lanken
February 17th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Hi Yang,

You are welcome. I realize the web limits your ability to see what you will really get, but it is good for relative comparisions. I'm still working with the HMC150 to see the best way to push it in low light, while not getting too much grain. The grain on the HMC150 looks a little more natural, closer to film grain, where the grain on the Sony just looks like digital noise. What camera are you shooting with now?

Yang Wen
February 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I shoot with DVX, just sold my GL2 and got a HV30.. HMC would seem like a no brainer.

Mark Von Lanken
February 17th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Yang,

Coming from any other camera, the odds are you will really like the HMC150, but coming from the DVX, it will be love at first site. You will feel like you are at home, only in the beautiful world of HD.