View Full Version : Vidar Veda-Old and New Track-Long form

Vidar Vedaa
February 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Tracks.

I will start my 30min film in a willage by the sognefjord. Were the tracks start now and
aerlyer.I will follow the grait goust stag that I see somtime, but is like a goust. From
spring to aoutum.Allso follow the mouintain pasture people form now and aerlyer.
And the wild reindeer from spring to aoutum.

Pilot Demo link: Tracks (http://web.mac.com/vidarjohannesvedaa/iWeb/Natur/Tracks.html)

All Best
VJV.

Bryce Comer
February 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi Vidar,
Wow you have some really beautiful scenic shots in there! And beautiful colours!! I can't wait to see your final product. Some of the shots of the reindeer toward the end were a bit soft, but i'm sure you will have more footage to play with for the final piece. Looks like a real adventure following these magestic creatures.
All the best,
Bryce

Per Johan Naesje
February 19th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Vidar, nice shoots you got there, I special liked the view of "fjord and fjell", beautiful scenery!
Think you will do a good entry, with your plans for the long-form

Good luck, stay warm!

Geir Inge
February 20th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Hi Vidar.
You really have an eye for beauty.
Seems like a good plan, you have there.
If I may give you an advice, I will recommend to cooperate with someone that can help you with your English writing and speach.
Speaking for myself, this is the hardest part for me, when it comes to making an uwol video.
I always ask some of my friends what they think and how to pronounce the words in english.
Filming the deer and the reindeer will be hard and I gather that you will have to walk some distance in the mountains?
may I ask where you are filming?

Best of luck to you.
Geir Inge

Vidar Vedaa
February 20th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Tanks allot fore coment:

Bryce,Per Johan and Geir Inge.

Yes the writing is a night mere, allways a bit short in coment fore
this reason. But hope they understand.The place I will make the cut
is in Stølsheimen 373km2 big protected aerea. And spesial solrenningane
mountain pasture home.Here I will make the people story, whit mountain fishing
and the multebeery picing. Allso the reindeer, so we will see??
And some under-wather video of the mountain troth playing.

All best
VJV.

Geir Inge
February 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Stølsheimen is a wonderful place, lucky you :) are you heading for Luster maybe?
Well, I think our english speaking friends are getting used to our mixed language.
It's a job to hike the mountains and carrying all that gear.
Just remember to mention that Sognefjorden is the second largest fjord in the world :)
Liked your idea very much.

Geir Inge

Catherine Russell
February 20th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Hi Vidar:

I like your idea of weaving the mountain pasture people in with the reindeer tracking. The footage you have of these animals is amazing! They are so beautiful! You are in a very beautiful place and it seems that everything you capture is inspiring.

I can try and help with your English text if you would like. Just offering, not a requirement!

Like what you are doing, Vidar!

Cat

Trond Saetre
February 21st, 2009, 01:49 AM
Hei Vidar,

Interesting idea you have.
I look forward to follow your project.

Vidar Vedaa
February 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Tank fore coment Cat And Trond.

Cat: Just offering, tanks to you, Yes!! maybe a final checkup fore
my final VO, before dedline 15 nov.

All Best to us all
VJV.

Dale Guthormsen
February 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Vidar,

you have some great compositions!! I like the continual pans and slow zooms, yes we make moving pictures!!
for the Pans have you tried using a rubber band to help keep the super smooth? also good for slow smooth start ups.

I like ti and I think you will have a beautiful piece when you are finished.

Finn-Erik Faale
February 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM
You have a beautiful start of the long form. Grieg's "The last spring" brings me into a melancholic mood. I like this combination of the nature and music.
In fact, Grieg composed this piece in Lofthus in Hardanger.
Also a place by fjord and mountain.

Finn-Erik

Chris Swanberg
February 24th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Vidar... what can I add to the other's comments? You have some excellent and very beautiful footage to use in your film.I really liked the intermixing of of the close ups (spider web with dew) and the longer shots.

I look forward to your next posting in May.

As for your English... I am glad that I don't have to not only produce my film, but then have to title in in Norweigan ! My hat is off to you and your fellow Norweigan filmmakers.

Chris

ps. I have Norse blood... you would think I could make films like you guys (sigh).

Vidar Vedaa
February 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Hello Dale,Finn Erik and Chris.

Tanks allot fore comment. Look forword to see your film

All Best
VJV.

Mihali Moore
February 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Beautiful shots and a nice idea to follow your subject on it's journey. Looking forward to those underwater shots. I'm sure this will be a lovely piece.

Mike Sims
February 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Vidar Johannes,
I much enjoy your videos. This is going to be a good one to see. I like you showing the old with the new. Please share a photo of your deer-pit hide when built. Don’t worry about the English. We understand OK. Don’t forget- video is also a language. You speak it beautifully! Best Wishes.

Vidar Vedaa
February 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Tanks allot Mike and Mihali.

Mike: Yes when snow has melted in the high mountain in mid jun, I will bee in
place.And show the view and the deerpit hide. It`s a nice place, in this mountain
wally.

Mihali: I allso lock forword to make this cut ,in the wally you saw in the end of my
pilot demo. The mountain creek is full of nice mountain trot. So I hope to bee
there in end sept-okt fore filming the trot-playing and get the nice color of them.

All Best
VJV.

Annie Haycock
March 3rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Some lovely shots of the scenery and reindeer. And I liked the close-ups very much. I also like the way you present your films on the website. Look forward to seeing more.

Vidar Vedaa
March 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hello Annie.

Tanks allot fore your coment.Locked at your film to and nice film, hope
you get the cut you want. Lock really forword to this yeare.
Think ther will be allot of nice film.

All Best
VJV.

Marj Atkins
April 15th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Very nice footage Vidar - especially liked your sunsets - or are they just your winter skies? I found some of your scenes quite dark which I think is probably natural for the time of year in which they were shot.

Just as a matter of interest how much daytime do you have in winter? Our summer and winter days are not dramatically different so it’s easy to forget that you folk up there experience difficulties with lack of light that we don’t - in fact here it is probably the opposite - too bright.

Nice topic - it’s interesting that both you and Bryce are doing the same subject - just different species. These Reindeer you are filming have really magnificent antlers.

Vidar Vedaa
May 12th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hello all

I have start on my cut,in the village were my story start.I have got some cut I will
use in my final film. The spring have come to the fjord,and I have made some view
of the spring.I have not made any VO, vill keep the hole story to my final film.
The story have been compressed "To Mountain Pasture Home" and the Wildlife around.
The reindeer I will skip and make view on the mountain troth from spring to autumn
But It still winter in the high mountain were I will take mostly of my cut.

Longform 2 Link:
Mountain-Pasture (http://web.mac.com/vidarjohannesvedaa/iWeb/Natur/Mountain-Pasture.html)

All Best
VJV:

Finn-Erik Faale
May 15th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hi Vidar!

You have made some beautiful movements from your loving nature.
Especially I appreciate the dof of the macro shots.

Maybe it is a misunderstanding about the reindeer.
isn't it red deer your are showing on the film?

The "Concierto de Aranjuez" fits well to the Norwegian mountains.

Your film will be attractive for nature lovers and hikers.

Bryce Comer
May 15th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Hi Vidar,
Wow you really have some beautiful images in your 2nd part for this film! I especially loved the colours you have in this piece. Even in shots where you could see the light was very flat, you managed to capture colourful things & make it an all round stunning piece! I look forward to hearing more of the story you have for your film as your project comes together.
Regards,
Bryce

Vidar Vedaa
May 17th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Tanks allot fore coment:

Marj: I think the film is a bit to much whit gamafilter. Tanks and all best to your film.

Fin-Erik: It`s reeder and my first plan was was 10min whit reddeer,10min whit mountain
pasture and 10min whit reindeer.But I will cut the reindeer story and make a
story on the mountain troth. Tanks and all best to your film.

Bryce: You must living in a dream land fore wildlife film I really like you film.
Lock forward to your final film.

All Best
VJV.

Chris Swanberg
May 17th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Some really beautiful footage. The deer were less interesting than say the other scenics to my eye.

I will be watching with interest as you weave this into a story. The images should carry a grand score and voic over !

I always enjoy youe eye for nature... this time is no different. Thanks for sharing !

Chris Swanberg

ps. You do well with English as a 2nd language. Wish I could do the same back to you in your native language.

Vidar Vedaa
May 20th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Chris:Tanks allot fore the coment,allso lock at your uwol-long form 2
really nice. I really lock forward to your final film.

And to oder, I have to say I am of Uwol-long form.

Regards
VJV.

Per Johan Naesje
May 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM
And to oder, I have to say I am of Uwol-long form. Vidar, are you telling that you quit the long form!!!?
But why, you're so beautiful footage and I was really looking forward to your final piece. Hope you'll change your mind!

Vidar Vedaa
May 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hello Per Johan

It shod be nice to full fit the log form, but the wildlife-film is a hobby fore me.
And on my job we have really to much to do this year. I was thinking of 14 day
holiday in the mountain, in beginning of okt fore my film. But my boss cry allot.
But time will show, there may be a trump.

Regards
VJV.

Catherine Russell
June 1st, 2009, 01:36 PM
Vidar!

The minimum requirement for the long form is 20 minutes. I so hope you can stay with us in this contest! You have an eye for beauty, both in music and film and I personally love the high peak vantage of your theme. The scenery and reindeer are simply subjects we do not get to experience where we live. You are an asset to us. Perhaps to make the load lighter, instead of 3 different deer subjects and the mountain people, how about tracking one choice for your entry? All the best.

Hang in there,

Cat

Vidar Vedaa
June 2nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Catherine!

Tanks allot fore nice comments.I think the compress of the story, is a nice thing.
And the deer and rein-deer is very time consuming.So if I shell get the final film
that is the way.

Hope we will get enough time!!!

All best
VJV.

Geir Inge
July 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Vidar.
You have some beautiful shots in part 2 of ULF.
The spidernet and the gras with dew on, was awesome.
Love the music :)
I would like some narration in the final version.
Keep up the good work my friend.

Geir Inge

Vidar Vedaa
August 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM
This is my Longform 3.

I have been very busy this summer, so have not take all my high mountain cut
that I need. But allot of cut from the high mountain around Bergen. Sept we will
start on the cut in Sognefjord at 800-1400m in high mountain at pasture and the truth
in the creek.

Weblink: Longform 3.
Mountain-Pasture 3 (http://web.mac.com/vidarjohannesvedaa/iWeb/Natur/Mountain-Pasture%203.html)

All best VJV.

Steve Siegel
August 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Vidar,
Very pretty. The underwater shots really add to the piece. I hope there will be more of them as time goes on. I was a little confused at the beginning. Are those mountain valleys or closeups of rocks with green moss?

Geir Inge
August 12th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Hi Vidar.
That was some great footage.
Liked the way you show the rainy days :)
The clip of the plant from under water way up to the flower was great.
Also the small fish, very good.
In fact I visited the Sognefjord this summer, (in fact 2 times).
I had to make some glacier shots.
I drove from Lom to Sogndal, also visited Urnes Church.
Sognefjorden is great, I think in your final video you must mention that The Sognefjord in fact is the second largest fjord in the world :)
Maybe some shaky clips here and there, but all in all a good presentation of what to come.

Ok, wish you all the best.
Geir Inge

Vidar Vedaa
August 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Tanks allot Steve and Geir Inge

Steve: The beginning is a animated photo 3D map, fore the track rout from the village
to mountain pasture home (Solrenningane) we will track in sept.

Geir Inge: I agree with you,some bug here and ther. But we will take it in the
final film. And sognefjorden is nice yes, you should have join me in the sept
filming in solrenningane.

All best
VJV.

Mike Sims
August 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Hi Vidar,
I am glad you were able to find time to stay in the long form. Round three is your best yet. Watching it really made me wish I was there too! The 3D map at the beginning was a help to understand the trek. I liked the boots in the stream shot and the underwater shots. What kind of waterproof housing do you use? My favorite shot was picking the berry. Very nicely done. I am very much looking forward to watching your finished video.

Vidar Vedaa
August 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Hello Mike

If you want to do light underwater, I use a EWA Marine bag. It have limits

but I can recommend it. I am very intent on the wether in sept, the fog cold

cover the mountain fore week. But if the wether stay on my site, I cold say

I have some surprise !!

All Best
VJV.

Mike Sims
August 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks Vidar. I used to have a EWA bag for my still camera. When I was in grad school a fellow student borrowed it for a trip to Hawaii. While he was there he decided he didn’t want to come back. I never saw him or my EWA again. Good luck with the weather. I’m looking forward to your surprise.

Finn-Erik Faale
August 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Vidar,

I have watched your tasteful video two times. You have a fine compound story.
The underwater and the macro shots are great.

Catherine Russell
August 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hi Vidar:

I am personally so happy you are still in the challenge as last round you thought you might have to drop out because of your heavy schedule.

This is the best footage I have seen from you. The map animation in the beginning and the well composed scenery shots. You narrate the story quite well and all of it is so pleasing to the eye. The underwater shots show your skill as a film maker.

Nicely done Vidar! Can't wait to see how it will all come together as a final project.

Cat

Per Johan Naesje
August 18th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Vidar, you capture the Vestland of Norway so well!
You have lots of amazing scenes there and you narrating emphasize this very well. The combination of underwater and over-land-shoots is stunning!

Good work, looking forward to your finished piece!

Chris Swanberg
August 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Vidar

All I can say is that I wished I had seen your piece before I went north to Glacier this time. We had similar weather and you produced some extraordinarily beautiful images... I learn from watching you and the others here.

I love the underwater and split underwater/above water images. Very very well done.

Your narration is very good as well.

One of the better pieces in round 3 to my mind. Thank you.

Chris Swanberg

Vidar Vedaa
August 19th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Tanks allot Finn Erik,Caty,Per Johan and Chris

I really lock forword to this Autumn, We all have allot of work to do.
But I think we all love it, and all best to you films.

VJV.

Bob Safay
August 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Vidar, just watched your entry. Beautiful scenary and vivid color. The close up of the plants were great, I never saw a red fly trap. What was the name of the little white water flower in the beginning? I enjoyed most of the underwater shots, however I thought that one shot of the trout on the line was a bit to long. Did you use an underwater housing of a glass box? Great job. Bob

Dale Guthormsen
August 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Vidar,

spectacular scenery! I really liked the underwater footage. did you climb in that cold water yourself or just submerge the camera and see what was under there?? did you leave the drip on the camera case on purpose? Or were you in need of some lens tissues?

I really like the back zoom at the end!!! gives a feeling of vastness!!

Look forward to the final rendition!!!

Vidar Vedaa
August 21st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Tanks allot fore coment.

Bob: I dont now name on plant,and I use EWA bag.

Dale:I was using a winter diving-suite

All Best
VJV.

Marj Atkins
September 12th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Vidar
My apologies for not commenting on your film last round. You have some really beautiful footage Vidar - nice variety from wide landscape to close-up details. The only thing I am sorry about is that I won't be able to understand your final Norwegian story - looks like it 's going to be very good.
One small thing - I feel that there were too many back views of the people in this video - maybe restrict it to one or two. Showing the boots walking was one good way of showing the presence of people in the scene. Perhaps a few front views of people in the landscape taken from a good distance would also work (if you don't really want to feature in your movie, that is). :)