View Full Version : DV File type

Stelios Christofides
February 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
In the DV FILE TYPE Settings ( of the HVR-MRC1) you have two choices:
Records the DV Recording format
1. AVI - Records video in AVI format
2. RAW DV - Records video in DV format

What is the best setting to use and does it apply to the HDV and DV?
Is there a difference between RAW DV and DV?

Stelios

David Johns
February 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM
AFAIK:

There is no 'best' setting as such, it just depends on whether your editing software can read it.

I believe that "raw DV" is essentially the digital bitstream that would have been recorded to tape, whereas the AVI version is the DV information wrapped in the AVI file format, which more editing software will understand. There is no difference between Raw DV and DV, they just mean it's a bitstream unwrapped in any file format.

It only applies for standard-definition DV, the HDV files are stored in m2t format.

Regards
Dave

David Johns
February 26th, 2009, 12:32 PM
PS having just bought an MRC1K, it's very annoying to find out that the expanded focus function doesn't work anymore - this is a documented 'feature' apparently but it's very frustrating. Anyone ever seen a workaround?

Stelios Christofides
February 26th, 2009, 02:02 PM
PS having just bought an MRC1K, it's very annoying to find out that the expanded focus function doesn't work anymore - this is a documented 'feature' apparently but it's very frustrating. Anyone ever seen a workaround?

What you mean the expanded focus doesn't work David? Mine works, and with the MRC1K connected.

Stelios

David Johns
February 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Sorry - should have been more clear. I have a Sony HVR-V1E videocamera and with the CF unit connected (or the DR60 hard disc apparently), the 'expanded focus' function on the camera no longer works.