View Full Version : Video review of the Panasonic HPX 301e

Phil Bloom
February 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I was lucky enough to be invited down to Panasonic HQ today to be given an HPX 301e to play with for a few hours and to shoot a review video on it.

The 301e is the European version of the 300 and luckily for us EU chaps we have an advantage over the former colonists in that our camera is a "world camera", that means it is fully switchable between 50 and 60hz. Perfect for globetrotters like me who will work for anyone and have no loyalty to any country!

First impressions were very positive. Very solid, great ergonomics, amazing flexibility in recording modes, superb LCD screen and EVF. Nice enough lens for the price. light but heavy enough for handheld work and beautifully balance.

Basically this is the Panasonic camera I have been waiting for. Do I wish it was 1/2"? Of course! But at this price point you can only get so much...there have been compromises and some corners cut but nothing major. Just about every feature you want on there is on there (and then some!)

One thing I need to investigate further is I found the image noisier than the EX3. I need to check with Panny to check what their camera details settings were set too as I didn't check.

We shot the review on a 171 and looking at those pictures next to the 301e is like night and day. Almost like looking at SD compared to HD.

I still prefer the SxS workflow as am a macbook pro freak through and through and I hate the dual adapter almost as much as I hate the movie Mamma Mia. Man does it make my mac crash.

Now I have a lot of editing to make my nonsensical gobbledegook comprehensible and of course make sure I get the facts right! I hope to have the video up, with a written review to go with it by the end of the week. As soon as it is ready i will post the link here.

So far...so good!

Phil Bloom
February 26th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Here is the review

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Here it is! The video review of the Panasonic HPX 301e (http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/02/26/here-it-is-the-video-review-of-the-panasonic-hpx-301e/)

Holger Neuhaeuser
February 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Hi Phillip,

thanks for your review.

One question:

What about 1o80p? Is the camera really only capable of recording 1080i or is it only taping a progressive image in interlaced mode?

In other words : can it produce 1080p25 ?

Thanks a lot

Holger

Phil Bloom
February 27th, 2009, 03:25 AM
i am not sure...i could only select 1080i 50 and 25pn...I asked and they couldn't answer me

Jeff Regan
February 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM
1080/25PN is progressive. AVC Intra allows Native recording in 1080P(24, 25 and 30p), unlike DVC PRO HD, which only has Native recording in 720P. It should be able to record 1080/25P in non-Native mode.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video (http://www.ssv.com)

Phil Bloom
February 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM
thanks or clarification Jeff. I wasn't sure...I have the camera again this weekend so will do some more filming with it

Barry Green
February 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
For clarification purposes: there is no interlace/pulldown going on in AVC-Intra. If you choose 1080/24P, you will get 24 progressive frames stored natively. If you choose 1080/25p, there will be 25 progressive frames. Same with 30p.

If you use DVCPRO-HD as your recording format, then 1080/24p and 24pA modes will still have the same embedded-in-60i interlacing issues as all other DVCPRO-HD cameras have.

Barry Green
February 27th, 2009, 12:38 PM
i am not sure...i could only select 1080i 50 and 25pn...I asked and they couldn't answer me

You should be able to change the system frequency to 60Hz, which would give you 1080i 60, 30p, and 24pN options as well. And 720 mode, of course.

Holger Neuhaeuser
February 28th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hi,

can anybody shed some light on the question if the hpx 301 is of equal or better image quality (when using the avc 100 4:2:2 codec) than a combination of sony´s ex3 with the Flash XDR recorder (100 mbit /4:2:2).

And any information if panasonics 1/3 chip can compete with sony´s exmor 1/2 chip in terms of noise and overall quality?

Thanks a lot
Holger

Sulev Sepp
February 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hi Pihl and others who had opportunity to test HPX301e.

What about "rolling shutter" effect on HPX301?

Thank You in advance and have nice weekend!
Sulev

Phil Bloom
March 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM
yes rolling shutter is very evident, but this was a pre production model. Am confident it will be improved upon before release.

Phil Bloom
March 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Hi,

can anybody shed some light on the question if the hpx 301 is of equal or better image quality (when using the avc 100 4:2:2 codec) than a combination of sony´s ex3 with the Flash XDR recorder (100 mbit /4:2:2).

And any information if panasonics 1/3 chip can compete with sony´s exmor 1/2 chip in terms of noise and overall quality?

Thanks a lot
Holger

the avc intra 100 codec is just plain superb. the problem with the flash xdr is the inability to truly know if you have recorded your stuff without plugging in an external monitor.

the sony chip is far superior in every way to the panasonic one...noise, low light, dof etc...the panasonic one is as sharp though

Holger Neuhaeuser
March 2nd, 2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks Phillip,

I think I´ll stick to the ex3 and take the new Panasonic AG-HPG20E as external recorder.

Seems to have the same recording capabilities and quality like the hpx 301.

Thanks

Phil Bloom
March 2nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Here we are...not the most exciting thing I have done but the image is pretty gorgeous never the less!

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Shooting with the Panasonic HPX 301e (http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/03/03/shooting-with-the-panasonic-hpx-301e/)

Daniel Weber
March 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Phillip,

Nice as always. I am surprised at the DOF you were able to obtain using 1/3" chips. How would you compare editing the 301 stuff to you usual EX1/3 footage?

Thanks for the clip.

Daniel Weber

John Richard
March 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
the avc intra 100 codec is just plain superb. the problem with the flash xdr is the inability to truly know if you have recorded your stuff without plugging in an external monitor.

the sony chip is far superior in every way to the panasonic one...noise, low light, dof etc...the panasonic one is as sharp though

Could you explain the statement about the XDR requiring an external monitor to confirm you have recorded a shot?

We've not experienced any such need to use an external monitor merely to confirm whether a shot was recorded.

What firmware are you using on the XDR?

Phil Bloom
March 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Could you explain the statement about the XDR requiring an external monitor to confirm you have recorded a shot?

We've not experienced any such need to use an external monitor merely to confirm whether a shot was recorded.

What firmware are you using on the XDR?

i mean there is no lcd to actually see the shot back, you cannot loop back through to the camera, it needs an external monitor to confirm playback. Yes you can see that it has recorded but I am of the paranoid generation who needs to see with my eyes that it has recorded by seeing the image back.

Phil Bloom
March 3rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Phillip,

Nice as always. I am surprised at the DOF you were able to obtain using 1/3" chips. How would you compare editing the 301 stuff to you usual EX1/3 footage?

Thanks for the clip.

Daniel Weber

bigger files, rendering was about the same...just bigger files that's all!

Mikael Bergstrom
March 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks Bloom for your review just one question, is it posible to shoot 24p in Pal land? with the HPX 301e? Not in NTSC format?

Best Regards
Mikael
Sweden

John Richard
March 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
i mean there is no lcd to actually see the shot back, you cannot loop back through to the camera, it needs an external monitor to confirm playback. Yes you can see that it has recorded but I am of the paranoid generation who needs to see with my eyes that it has recorded by seeing the image back.

THe XDR does have a headphone out jack - this would be a reliable indication that the XDR is recording the shot.

Phil Bloom
March 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM
THe XDR does have a headphone out jack - this would be a reliable indication that the XDR is recording the shto.

you will know it is recording the audio....as I said, am sure it always works but I am Mr. Paranoid.

yes the 301e shoots every flavour including 24p/

Mikael Bergstrom
March 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks Phil, is it 24p in PAL or NTSC?

Phil Bloom
March 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
neither. it's just plain 24p...

Barry Green
March 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
24p on an HPX300 is 23.976 fps. You get at it by setting the system mode to 59.94Hz and then choosing the appropriate 24p option.

Gary Nattrass
May 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the review Phil I am just about to order one of these and it was most helpful.