View Full Version : Brightness issues for JVC GY110U

Craig Miller
February 25th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I have 2 cameras. One is the GY110U and the other is the Sony HDR-FX1. Now of course the Sony is awesome in low light situations and I love that about the camera. The issue is the JVC.

On an interior studio setting I can't seem to get enough light into my JVC. I use the manual setting and have the iris fully open. I am not a novice with the camera and feel I have adjusted it properly still no satisfaction.

Any ideas for adjustment maybe deeper in the menu system that I might be overlooking?

Thanks

Bill Ravens
February 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM
1-shutter speed?
2-Gain setting?

Craig Miller
February 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Shutter speed 1/60. Gain is low

Shaun Roemich
February 25th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Craig: keep in mind the JVC out of the box (without messing with gamma curves et al) is a light pig by modern standards. I believe it is rated f8@2000lux which is the same as the old Sony 507 dockable heads from 15 years ago (standard def 2/3" 3ccd). I was SHOCKED initially by just how much light this camera likes. Now I'm jut used to it.

Tim Dashwood does a great job of explaining how to maximize performance out of your JVC ProHD camera (not just for "better" light performance) on his DVD, listed in a sticky at the top of the JVC ProHD root page. I recommend highly picking it up. As well, look through some of the scene files also as stickies at the top. There are some for increasing low light performance.

Craig Miller
February 25th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I will check it out.

Shaun Roemich
February 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Craig, I revisited Tim's Low Light preset this afternoon in anticipation of a shoot I have tomorrow and can't believe how much of an improvement it makes for shooting in less than optimal light levels. Seriously try it out. One of the things I love about the HD series is the ability to save files internally and to SD card. VERY convenient.

Craig Miller
February 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Are these settings he goes over on the video or are they somewhere that can be viewed online?

Shaun Roemich
February 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM
See the attached .pdf at the bottom of Tim's first post

HD200 Series Scene File Recipes - The Digital Video Information Network (http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/showthread.php?t=93052)

Jack Walker
February 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Are these settings he goes over on the video or are they somewhere that can be viewed online?
Sixth "Sticky" from the top of the forum:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-hd-acquisition-systems/62835-hd100-series-scene-file-recipes-downloadable-scn-files.html

The scene files listed in the post above are for the HD200. The ones in the link I posted are for the HD100/110.

Perhaps there are other resources. I'm not sure.

Shaun Roemich
February 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks Jack. I "forgot" to reread the title. My bad.