View Full Version : Pyscho shower scene - how did they point camera up at shower?

Michael Wisniewski
February 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM
In Pyscho there is a quick shot when then camera points straight up at the shower. Now I'm wondering, how did they do that without having the water splatter all over the lens/protector?

Jacques E. Bouchard
February 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
In Pyscho there is a quick shot when then camera points straight up at the shower. Now I'm wondering, how did they do that without having the water splatter all over the lens/protector?

I achieved the same effect by covering the camera with a clear plastic bag and pulling it taught over the lens. Alternately, you can use plastic (Saran) wrap, which has less distortion. Because this is in a bathroom there will be very little detail on the wall/ceiling to reveal distortion, and once the water starts flowing over the plastic it'll cover any telltale sign.

However, I'm sure someone devised a $10,000, optically-perfect waterproof case used exclusively for shower scenes if you'd rather go that way. ;-)

J.

Richard Alvarez
February 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I expect they just put a small 35mm Eyemoe in a case and shot it pointing up. Looks like most of the water is directed 'around' the lens anyway. Those Eyemoes went through hell during the war, I think they'd survive a shower alright.

Chris Christ
February 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Or maybe a mirror . . .

Jacques E. Bouchard
February 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Or maybe a mirror . . .

If they used a mirror you'd see the water boucing off and trickling down the glass.

J.