View Full Version : Sky detail

Wil Vermeesch
February 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hello,

Perhaps a stupid question but:

Setting the Canon XHA1 you have the possibility to set the Sky detail on SOFT or OFF.
Are you using this setting, why and when because I have the feeling this setting is given a non detectable effect.

Thanks in advance for your reply
Wil

Wil Vermeesch
March 1st, 2009, 02:49 AM
Nobody experience with this?

Nic MacDonald
March 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
It's not a particularly obvious effect. Basically, because blue skies can be a bit noisy, the XH can provide in-camera noise reduction on just the blue areas of the frame. If you're outside on a nice day, you're lining up a landscape shot and you're not in any particular hurry, you might want to jump into the menu and activate this function.

Tripp Woelfel
March 3rd, 2009, 07:10 AM
Nic... Great insight. It sounds like you've used it some. Can you comment on what it does to the details in clouds?

Nic MacDonald
March 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
In fact, I live in England where there hasn't been a blue sky in living memory so I haven't made much use of it, but in theory it shouldn't do anything at all to the clouds - only to the blue areas of the frame. Perhaps someone in an area with a more pleasant climate could comment on this.

Jack Walker
March 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
In fact, I live in England where there hasn't been a blue sky in living memory so I haven't made much use of it, but in theory it shouldn't do anything at all to the clouds - only to the blue areas of the frame. Perhaps someone in an area with a more pleasant climate could comment on this.
July 2007... beautiful blue sky, and virtually tropical temeratures and humidity. And the theaters don't have air conditioning.

Nic MacDonald
March 4th, 2009, 05:08 AM
So maybe I have a bad memory. :P

I didn't shoot anything outdoors around then though, so...

Jack Walker
March 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM
So maybe I have a bad memory. :P

I didn't shoot anything outdoors around then though, so...
It was so hot, I expect you were on holdiay!