View Full Version : Animation codec file size for DVD prep

Nathan Quattrini
March 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I have a 22 minute video I need to render out uncompressed with the Animation codec on the Mac. Any idea how big it will be approximately? I only have about 5 gigs free at the moment and need to know how much cleaning of my hard drive I need to do. I have to export it first before putting it to DVD. Thanks :)

Tripp Woelfel
March 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
SD or HD? That'll make a huge difference. I'm on a PC so that might change the numbers a bit, but a 4 minute HDV project transcoded to QT/Anim yields a file of about 25GB or about 6.25 GB a minute. SD will be smaller. If I had to guess, I'd say around half as big. (I'm lousy at math.)

So, for HD it would be around 140GB. and for SD it would be about 70, and that's a loose SWAG.

Perrone Ford
March 5th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I need to render out uncompressed with the Animation codec on the Mac.

A. Uncompressed + Animation Codec = ??? Uncompressed implies uncompressed. If you are using the animation codec, then it's compressed.

B. Why on earth would you use an animation codec unless you are doing animation? Maybe you are. But it's awful for video and not optimized for it at all.

C. If you are going to make DVDs, you need Mpeg2. So why compress it twice?

Aric Mannion
March 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
If your video is in after effects, rendering out either uncompressed or animation for someone else to encode is not unheard of. If you are using final cut you can export a self contained quicktime for someone, or even a reference if you are the one encoding... your not using final cut though are you? What are you using?

Nathan Quattrini
April 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Using Premire. And I have been told Animation is the highest quality export that QT can do. That is why I am using it.