View Full Version : anybody have experience digitizing analog video using the GL2?

Kat Eiswald
September 14th, 2003, 12:04 PM
I would be interested to hear...I will be attempting in a few hours, and was wondering how much of the original quality is retained, and if there are any noticable sound variations?

I am pulling together a reel for some musicians who have a lot of amatuer tapes of their concerts. I want to import the digital with on a background stereo track if possible...but this detail was not found yet in La manual..

Any studs out there want to dazzle me with your knowledge?

So far, I would have to say this is the best dang dv-forum I've found and I give you all a big Mmmmwwwahhh!

Un abrazo vatos,

Jack Robertson
September 15th, 2003, 04:23 AM
I agree that this forum is the best, but to utilise it fully you should be more specific.

The way I understand it is that you either want to transfer analog video into your GL2 (which will result in a digital recording being on a MiniDV tape) OR you want to use your GL2 as an analog-to-digital converter (which will let you then use firewire, so that you can capture digital video straight into your PC).

Either way it is very simple to do either. Let me know which you are wanting to do.

Jack

Kat Eiswald
September 15th, 2003, 09:10 AM
However I am NOT looking for someone to tell me how to read my manuel.

thanks.

I was looking for someone who could provide some experienced feedback regarding the quality of the results...

If you will have noticed, I had very specific questions...

Joris Beverloo
September 15th, 2003, 02:58 PM
I have converted some analogue tapes from my old videocamera through the XM2 or GL2 as it is called outside europe.
On the video I could not see any distortions or worse video. This could be because the analogue camera had not such good quality. But my hint is that a conversion would degrade the footage but I guess in such a little way that it would be not or only very very hard noticable.
At least the footage that I converted was fine and I could not see the difference. Hope to have helped you out.
However the best advice would be to try a few minutes and see for yourself what it brings.

I did not really understand what you meant with
"I want to import the digital with on a background stereo track if possible...but this detail was not found yet in La manual" Maybe it is because I am not english. You want the sound to be converted on a stereo track? Or you want to use other sounds (not from the videotape) as background? In the first case, just connect the video to the GL2 and in the last case hook up the stereo plugs on your sound output.

Joris

Kat Eiswald
September 15th, 2003, 03:01 PM
the stereo plugs was the answer...

and i wouldn't have got that for a while..

thank you sir.

Jack Robertson
September 17th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Dear Kat,

I wasn't telling you to read the manual. I just wanted to know if I understood correctly... but I obviously didn't.

As for experience with having dubbed analog to digital; I have not had any reduction in quality loss (both video and audio). You certainly won't gain any quality by doing so.

Also you mention that the process of recording analog video into your GL2 is not in the manual, well I am not familiar with the GL2 manual, but the XM2 manual explains this in detail on page 99. It also illustrates the physical connections needed to achieve this.

Regards,
Jack