View Full Version : FCP 6.0.5 EX1 - easy setup/sequence settings bug??

Danny Dale
March 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Okay, I have done several searches (on other forums as well) and still can't solve this one...

First, I got a new MacBook - running 10.5.6, Quicktime 7.6, FCS2 6.0.5 - everything is updated (as of last night). Got the latest Sony SxS drivers, and Sony transfer software 2.8.0 (downloaded 2.9 from the Sony site, but it didn't change transfer version - just seems to add a U1 Utility in my apps) - ran permissions, etc.

I choose easy setup, my only 'Sony' option is 'Sony XDCAM HD' - I choose that, then 'Rate: 23.98 fps', then 'Use: XDCAM HD 1080p24 VBR'. When I launch a new FCP project, I can import from 'Sony XDCAM' (launches Transfer app) and get the files in my browser (show up as 1920x1080 23.98fps, XDCAM EX 1080p24 35Mb/s VBR). The sequence settings in the new project show as:
1920x1080
Aspect: HDTV 1080i(16x9)
pixel: square (anamorphic unchecked)
timebase:23.98
Compressor: XDCAM HD 1080p24 (35 VBR)
audio: 48, 16bit channel grouped

When I drag the clip to the timeline, I'm prompted with "Attention -this clip does not match sequence's settings...blah, blah... Change sequence settings to match the clip settings?" I choose yes and the clip is fine (no red render line).

HERE's my problem (some may not call it one)... the sequence settings have NOT changed one bit after I click "yes". I've tried countless times with new sequences to see if any changes occur, but they don't. What really bugs me is that it prompts me EVERY time. Is it supposed to do that? I've also tried 'HD' with appropriate XDCAM settings in easy setup and same thing.

In my searches others have posted to use 'XDCAM EX 1080p24 VBR' from easy setup but I don't have that option.

Please help me out on this... as it's little things like this that drive me mad - thanks.

Mitchell Lewis
March 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Something's wrong. When you choose the compressor setting,you should see a variety of XDCAM EX choices. Maybe you need to still install something. XDCAM EX Clip Broswer maybe?

Mitchell Lewis
March 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
One last thing...

I could be wrong about this, but when I'm editing at work, I seem to remember seeing a bunch of XDCAM EX settings in Easy Setup. But now that I'm at home on my laptop, I don't see them. I see XDCAM EX available in the Sequence Settings>Compressor Setting (as shown in my attachment.

Next time I'm at work, I'll try and remember to double check for that.

Danny Dale
March 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
One last thing...

I could be wrong about this, but when I'm editing at work, I seem to remember seeing a bunch of XDCAM EX settings in Easy Setup. But now that I'm at home on my laptop, I don't see them. I see XDCAM EX available in the Sequence Settings>Compressor Setting (as shown in my attachment.

Next time I'm at work, I'll try and remember to double check for that.

Thanks for replying... Yes, that is what I'm seeing as well. I can go in and manually change the sequence compressor setting to 'XDCAM EX 1080p24' and the clip will drop in just fine. But how do I get easy setup to use that setting so I won't have to do for every new sequence? That's not an option in easy setup. I loaded FCS2 (6.0) and updated straight to 6.0.5. I read somewhere that 6.0.2 added the 'XDCAM EX 1080p24' setting in easy setup... wouldn't the latest update (6.0.5) include that?

I do have Clip Browser and launched it - restarted and still the same.

Mitchell Lewis
March 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I'm almost positive that at work, I can choose the appropriate Easy Setup XDCAM EX setting and the Sequence setting will match. But I'll have to get into work to confirm it. Did you load all the stuff that came on the disc with your camera? Maybe there's something in there.

Danny Dale
March 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Mitch, what are you running at work vs. your laptop at home? Do both have 6.0.5 and show different easy setups?

I bought the cam used from a church here in Austin - AWESOME DEAL - pristine with 4 hours on it... and it + my MacBookPro + wireless Sennheiser G2 for less than a new EX1. I had to rifle through eveything in their media room just to get cords/charger/card boxes, etc. and know there are no discs to be found. I thought the stuff I downloaded from the Sony site was what was on the discs.

I'f I have to re-install, is ther any way just to do FCP and not all the other 49 gigs worth of stuff? It would kill me if I did the whole install just to end up in the same place.

Lastly, do you know what Quicktime both of your systems are running? Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I have read is that Quicktime updates can be the culprit most of the time (i'm on 7.6).

Mitchell Lewis
March 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Yep, FCP 6.0.5 at home and at work.

I'm also running Quicktime 7.6 both home/work.

Sorry....there's something missing I think.

One option is to just create your own custom Easy Setup. Just setup everything you want and go to Final Cut>Audio/Video Settings and click on Create Easy Setup (bottom left).

It works great for me. I just use 3 custom Easy Setups (DV, ProRes and XDCAM EX) for everything I do.

Danny Dale
March 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Fixed the problem... thanks to Craig Seeman for the help.

Found the missing 10 XDCAM 'EX' settings in a folder titled "Final Cut Pro Additional Easy Setups" (English folder) in my apps folder right below the Final Cut Pro app. I copied and pasted the 10 'EX' settings the Final Cut Pro System Support /Custom Settings folder, trashed prefs/plists and relaunched. I still don't have them in the 'Format' drop down of easy setup, but I was able to select them in the 'Use' drop down. All is good again...

Danny Dale
March 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Mitchell, I had tried doing that before but could only see the 'HD' choices, not the 'EX' ones. Since I copied them over to the Custom Settings folder, I can see the them now.

Thanks for helping out on this.

Mitchell Lewis
March 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Great work! This worked for me as well, but I didn't trash the pref's and stuff.

(this should be a sticky)