View Full Version : EX1 Auto Racing Sample

Bob Jackson
March 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Shot last year 2008 at the ALMS Race , Laguna Seca. Testing new camera.
Vimeo video 1280x720P downrezed from 1980x1080P-30.
American Lemans Laguna Seca 2008 HD AM Warmup on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/3521600)

Erik Phairas
March 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Nice! I'd like to see more racing, but nice either way.

Mitchell Lewis
March 20th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Great looking video. How did you get those close-up shots of the cars driving by you in the pits. It looks like you are very close to them. Weren't you worried about getting hit? I'm surprised that the up close access you had with your camera. Maybe it was because it was a "warm up" and not the actual race? Cool stuff!

Bob Jackson
March 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I was very close to the cars.
I was one of three cameras on the pit lane.
The camera performed amazingly well.
The original footage is awesome.
I was in the pits during the race too.
I was mainly interested in the closeup action which we don't see much of during the actual network broadcasts. When a car was to be coming in, I asked the crew next to me what was going to happen with their car. Only once was there a conflict and they were very good at helping me out. IMSA also had lots of track officials in the pits watching very closely.
Wish I would have had more sxs cards. As it was I shot 80GB during the 3 days at the track.
Additional footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j00LBtaafLw
There are 6 or so more HD racing on youtube site.

Bob Jackson
March 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Nice! I'd like to see more racing, but nice either way.
I was mainly interested in closeup action, drivers,and the very high tech cars. They are reall formula 1 cars with wheel covering.

Tripp Woelfel
March 20th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Great footage, and I'm a bit envious. Being a race fan going back to Hill, Surtees, Clark and the rest, and was very into the old IMSA Camel GT series, I struck gold of a sort when I got to shoot at a track near here. It's an oval with mostly locals but it has its moments. Actually, more than a few.

You might be interested in this: On Pit Lane-Episode 5 on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/1412285)

It's shot with a Canon XH A1.

Don't mean to crash the party but I saw the headline on the main page and had to check it out.

Mitchell Lewis
March 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I was very close to the cars.
I was one of three cameras on the pit lane.

Dude! I WANT YOUR JOB! Getting paid to shoot auto racing events is my #1 dream job. I've been into racing since 1987. I race sports cars, but only autocross, I couldn't afford to do serious road racing (although I'd LOVE to). My dream, dream, dream job would be a cameraman for Formula 1. Traveling around the world to all their events. (sigh)

Thanks for sharing Bob.

Bob Jackson
March 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Dude! I WANT YOUR JOB! Getting paid to shoot auto racing events is my #1 dream job. I've been into racing since 1987. I race sports cars, but only autocross, I couldn't afford to do serious road racing (although I'd LOVE to). My dream, dream, dream job would be a cameraman for Formula 1. Traveling around the world to all their events. (sigh)

Thanks for sharing Bob.
Did you go thru some of my youtube stuff?
Might be hard to find as i have been posting all sorts of things there.
Got some GTp from the 80-90"s that is going to be used in a racing dvd this year.Travelling would be nice
I started in CAn-Am racing 8mm/35mm still in 1968.
Still got some of the early stuff.
I have met some very neat people.
Making money? not likely this year.
More for the love of it
Can't post any interviews....

Bob Jackson
March 20th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Great footage, and I'm a bit envious. Being a race fan going back to Hill, Surtees, Clark and the rest, and was very into the old IMSA Camel GT series, I struck gold of a sort when I got to shoot at a track near here. It's an oval with mostly locals but it has its moments. Actually, more than a few.

You might be interested in this: On Pit Lane-Episode 5 on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/1412285)

It's shot with a Canon XH A1.

Don't mean to crash the party but I saw the headline on the main page and had to check it out.

Good video.
My stuff is rough cut only right now.
V/o will be by a famous person we are hoping.He seems keen.

Jon Sands
March 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Not enough Aston Martin footage!

Bob Jackson
March 21st, 2009, 07:30 AM
Not enough Aston Martin footage!

yes its hard to be in two places at once. And only one camera.

BTW the Sebring 12 hours is on today live on Speed Tv.

Jon Sands
March 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm just kiddin man, I enjoyed the video!