View Full Version : Slow down 25fps to 24fps?

Douglas Turner
March 23rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hello all,

Just signed a US DVD distribution deal for our film (woohoo!), and we've negotiated to deliver the film on a hard drive as a 24fps quicktime file (MUCH cheaper for us to do than to get an HDCAM transfer).

The film has been finished off as a great quality "Filmscan 2" Cineform HD avi, 25fps, 1440x1080, 1.33, 80GB file (80 mins).

Wondering if anyone's done this before and discovered the best way of doing it - I assume slowing it down is the best way, as we don't want to reduce the quality of the video or introduce juddering on pans etc from frame removal.

Cheers! Doug.

David Newman
March 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
If that 25p (not 50i), there is zero issues converting to 24p, it has happened a million times before. Everytime you watch a movie on PAL TV you are watching in 4% faster than it plays on NTSC, the same occurs in reverse. So all you need to do is set the video to be 24 (no quality issues) and then remodulate your audio (for pitch correction to handle the speed change.)

Douglas Turner
March 23rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks David.

Any Cineform tools can help with this like HDLink, or you just suggest opening a Premiere Pro 24fps project, importing the 25fps footage...

Also with audio, you can speed up/slow down in Premiere Pro and tick the "Maintain Pitch" which should also do the trick?

David Newman
March 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Either way works fine. HDLink is faster.

Jack Walker
March 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Either way works fine. HDLink is faster.
Is HDLink a Cineform product? I can't find it on the website.

Or are you talking about the BlackMagic product?
Blackmagic Design: HDLink (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/)

David Newman
March 24th, 2009, 01:16 PM
No, we had the name first. I thought you are using our tools, HDLink is in all our PC products, it is even in the manual :). It converts all media types into CineForm files -- it also does resizing, pulldown filtering and rate conversions.

Jack Walker
March 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM
No, we had the name first. I thought you are using our tools, HDLink is in all our PC products, it is even in the manual :).

Is it included with Neo Scene?

Thanks!

David Newman
March 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Oopss! Jack, I had your posted miced up with Doug's, that explains the confusion of HDLink. The Neo Scene utility is HDlink renamed, however it was renamed as it had all the professional processing features removed (scaling, frame rate resampling, flips etc.) You want NEO HD or above for those features.

Jack Walker
March 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Oopss! Jack, I had your posted miced up with Doug's, that explains the confusion of HDLink. The Neo Scene utility is HDlink renamed, however it was renamed as it had all the professional processing features removed (scaling, frame rate resampling, flips etc.) You want NEO HD or above for those features.
Thank you, that explains my confusion. (I have Neo Scene and thought I was understanding the program. It looks like I bought the wrong Cineform product.)

David Taylor
March 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Thank you, that explains my confusion. (I have Neo Scene and thought I was understanding the program. It looks like I bought the wrong Cineform product.)

Jack, if you need to upgrade to Neo HD you can do so with no price penalty. You'll be charged the difference in MSRP between Neo HD and Neo Scene: NEO HD v3 (Windows Download) (http://www.cineform.com/neohdv3windowsmacdownload-2.aspx)

Jack Walker
March 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Jack, if you need to upgrade to Neo HD you can do so with no price penalty. You'll be charged the difference in MSRP between Neo HD and Neo Scene: NEO HD v3 (Windows Download) (http://www.cineform.com/neohdv3windowsmacdownload-2.aspx)
Thanks! (not even words) Thanks, thanks, thanks!