View Full Version : New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170

Curtis Guise
March 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I have had allot of people asking me about the new CNC machined aluminum base plate that I designed for the HVX200. So far I have about 10 people using them and they have been working great. I finally have them in stock for those that are interested. Juice Designs (http://www.juicedesigns.com)

The plate adds multiple 1/4" and 3/8" mounting holes. And it protects the base of your camera from cracking when attached to a tripod. I shoot off-road racing in the desert and always throw my camera and tripod on my shoulder while hiking to new spots to film. In conditions like that, or if your camera and tripod were dropped it can crack the base without the new base plate installed. I have seen it happen and it cost about $1000 to repair the camera.

It attaches to the base of your camera easily with the supplied screws and allen wrenches. It also uses the stock 1/4" hole in the camera as one of the mounting points for the plate which makes for a stronger mount.

The next base plate I plan to design is for the HPX170. Hopefully in the next one to two months.

Curtis Guise
April 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Due to many requests I now have anodized black plates in stock for the HVX200.

I am also having an adapter plate made for people that use the Chrosziel 450 matte box. The plate spaces the rod mount down from the matte box 3/8", the thickness of the base plate. I should have some of those in a week or two.

TingSern Wong
April 5th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Let me know when you have the HPX170 version ready for sale. What is the weight of the HVX200 plate?

Also, how many points do you have to attach the base plate to the camera?

Curtis Guise
April 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM
The HVX200 plate weighs 220 grams or 7.76 ounces. It mounts using the six stock screw locations plus I use the 1/4" tripod mounting hole as the main anchor point making it very secure. You can see some more pictures of it without the tripod mounted on my website www.juicedesigns.com

I plan on measuring a HPX170 tomorrow finally. Once we get the drawing setting up for the CNC machine we can make the first prototype, then I will have a batch of them made. If all goes as planned I should have them ready to sell in about a month at the most.

Would you want a bare aluminum one or anodized black? If people can PM me the color they prefer that would help me decide how many to have anodized on the first run.

Kevin Railsback
April 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Are you going to line up the tripod mounting hole with the lens so it's not offset like the original 170?

I've got a Chrosziel 450 mattebox from my HVX-200 that I want to get a new ring to fit the 170 and would like to use that without having to buy something else to line the rods up.

Curtis Guise
April 12th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Are you going to line up the tripod mounting hole with the lens so it's not offset like the original 170?

I've got a Chrosziel 450 mattebox from my HVX-200 that I want to get a new ring to fit the 170 and would like to use that without having to buy something else to line the rods up.

yes I just measured a HPX170 a few days ago and have the drawing almost finished. I didn't have a Chrosziel or any other matte box to mount on the camera so I could only lay a straight edge along the base and used my calipers to measure the offset. It looks to be 0.400" offset. If you or anyone else can mount your Chrosziel on the camera and get an accurate measurement of the offset that would help.

I also have an adapter plate being made for a friends Chrosziel 450 that he wants to use with my base plate and his HVX200. It will space it down 3/8", the thickness of the base plate. I hope to have the first one for him next week and will have some more made after that. The adapter will work with the 200 and 170.

Here are some pictures of the HVX200 base plate in black.

Dan Brockett
April 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Curtis:

Those plates are looking really sweet. Nice work. Let us know when the 170 plates are ready to go, I think I will buy one from you.

Dan

Curtis Guise
April 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks Dan. I just finished the drawing for the HPX170 yesterday. Next step is programing it for the CNC machine and make the prototype. That should be done by next week.

I also have some good news... The new HMC150 shares the same body as the HPX170 so the new base plate will fit both cameras.

TingSern Wong
April 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Excellent piece of work. One question - do I have to "remove" the original plastic cover or I just remove the screws, align your plate, and screw it down?

Curtis Guise
April 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Excellent piece of work. One question - do I have to "remove" the original plastic cover or I just remove the screws, align your plate, and screw it down?

Yes, Just remove the 6 screws and put my plate over the the stock plastic cover. I supply the longer screws and the 1/4" one that attaches the plate to the tripod mounting hole. I also supply the two allen wrenches you need. (you will need your own small phillips screwdriver for the stock screws) It's easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes.

Ray Thomas
April 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM
You can put me down for a black one for my HMC-150. I have a TA-100 plate for my Canon XH-A1 and I was looking for something similar for my 150. Let us know when they are ready. Thanks.

TingSern Wong
April 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I counted only 5 small screws on my HPX172 - not 6. So - I am hoping you are measuring the right camera :-).

Okay - let me know when you get your stocks ready. I will be ordering one from you.

Curtis Guise
April 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I counted only 5 small screws on my HPX172 - not 6. So - I am hoping you are measuring the right camera :-).

Okay - let me know when you get your stocks ready. I will be ordering one from you.

Both the HPX170 and HMC150 have 6 screws. If you are looking at the bottom with the lens at the top there are two screws at the top, one in the center, one bottom right and two bottom left. If your HPX172 is different please send me a picture to this email curtis at race-dezert.com

TingSern Wong
April 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I got to go back home and double check in that case. I thought I only saw 5 screws not 6 - but again, I could be wrong.

TingSern Wong
April 21st, 2009, 04:22 AM
I was wrong ... IT is 6 screws ... so, no problems then.

Curtis Guise
April 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Here is a shot of the prototype Chrosziel 450 adapter plate. It fit perfectly so I am having more made and will get them anodized black.

Ray Thomas
May 10th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Any time frame on when the plates will be ready for the 170/150? I really want one for my HMC-150. Thanks.

Curtis Guise
May 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Any time frame on when the plates will be ready for the 170/150? I really want one for my HMC-150. Thanks.

My machinist just finished programing it today and said he should be able to make the prototype on Wednesday. If all goes as planned we should be able to make the first run of plates next week after I check the prototype. By the time they are anodized we are probably looking at the end of this month.

I might add them to my store soon so people can pre-order. I will post when that happens.

Ray Thomas
May 13th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Cool Curtis, thanks. I have your website bookmarked and I will keep an eye out for them. Will they be the same price as the HVX-200 plates?

Ray

Curtis Guise
May 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Here are some pictures of the prototype for the HPX170 and HMC150. I have a couple of small changes to make this week then we will make a run of the final design. I should have pre-ordering ready on my website today.

I also have the black Chrosziel 450 adapters in stock now. Those will be added to the site also.

Curtis Guise
May 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Direct link to the order page for the Chrosziel 450 adapter, and to the pre-order page for the HPX170 & HMC150 base plate, Click here - race-dezert.com Store - Camera Accessories (http://shop.race-dezert.com/collections/camera-accessories)

I also made some updates to my web site http://www.juicedesigns.com

Curtis Guise
May 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Here is a picture of the Chrosziel 450 adapter installed.

Curtis Guise
June 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM
It has been taking longer than I expected but the HPX170 / HMC150 plates are almost finished. They are supposed to be machined this week and then it will take a few days to have them anodized black. I will post as soon as I know the exact date they can start shipping.

Curtis Guise
July 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
The HPX170 / HMC150 plates came in and are being anodized now. They will be finished Tuesday.

Curtis Guise
July 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Here are some pictures of the HPX170 / HMC150 plate mounted on a camera. This is the prototype plate, the final retail version will be anodized black.

Ray Thomas
July 12th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I wanted to write a quick review of the Juice Designs baseplate for the Panasonic HMC-150. The order was sent out on Tuesday as promised and I got it on Friday. It was packaged well. It came with the plate, directions, 6 small allen screws, and a larger 1/4" allen screw. Two allen keys were thoughtfully included as well. I have to say I was very impressed with the overall fit and finish of the plate. There was obviously a lot of thought put in to its design. It follows the contours of the Panasonic base exactly and all the holes line up perfectly. Curtis even cut out the areas where the 150 has rubber bumpers on the base so that the plate sits flush to the camera bottom. My plate was anodized black and looks factory when mounted. It took all of about five minutes to install. I bought the plate for a couple of reasons. The first being that I come from a film background and I have never liked the 1/4" mounting holes that most prosumer video cameras come with. With Curtis' plate I now have several mounting holes including 3/8" which I prefer. I am also prone to setting down my camera when I am running around shooting and I feel that much better having something between the ground and my precious camera. The plate seems to add more overall stability when the camera is mounted on a tripod. It would be a good addition for anyone using a matte box with rods or a 35mm adapter.

I do have some advice for anyone installing the plate. It's mostly common sense stuff. As I mentioned Curtis includes a couple of allen keys for the plate screws but you will need a #00 phillips head screw driver to remove the factory screws. I recommend getting a good quality driver as the screws are TINY with a capital T. It would not be hard to strip the screws. My screws came out easily enough. I would also put the factory screws somewhere safe. If you ever remove the plate you will need them again. When installing the new screws I started with the two middle screws to help line everything up. Again be very careful as the thread pitch is so small that it would not be hard to cross thread the screws. Do everything slowly and carefully and you should be fine. The included directions mention this and it bears repeating but don't over-tighten the screws. They are so small that you could easily strip the threads on the screws or even worse the camera. I tightened them (grasping the short end of the allen key) about a quarter turn past tight. Same thing with the larger 1/4" screw. Less is more when tightening. You certainly don't want to crack the base by over-tightening things (that's what the plate was designed to prevent in the first place! ).

I want to add I have no affiliation with Curtis Guise or Juice Designs. Hopefully he will be making more plates for other cameras. Let's face it the plastic bases on most video cameras puts the consumer in prosumer. I've never had one crack but I have heard of it happening and it's an expensive repair. I will try to post a picture with it on my camera when I get a chance. It looks pretty much like Curtis' pic except in black. All in all I am very happy with the plate and think it is worthwhile addition to any camera.

Cheers,
Ray

TingSern Wong
July 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I just received mine today (across the Pacific Ocean). Just as Ray has described it, the packaging was excellent, the fit excellent. I followed the instructions to the letter, didn't dare to over tighten things - and is now very happy with the results. An excellent product add on to this camera.

Kevin Railsback
July 25th, 2009, 03:04 PM
The plate was very easy for me to install as well. Feel much better about hauling my camera over my shoulder on the tripod now.

Curtis Guise
December 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
I finally have a picture of the anodized black HPX170 & HMC150 base plate. I have one available in our store and more coming in the next week or two. Juice Designs (http://www.juicedesigns.com)