View Full Version : shorter term for videotaping ?

Gints Klimanis
September 24th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Does a shorter term exist for videotaping ?
Tape doesn't cut it.
Vtape may do it, but I haven't seen it used.
Video is kinda weird.
Film is technically inaccurate.

Harry Settle
September 24th, 2003, 05:35 PM
I, as well as others, have had the same conundrum. I typicly use video, vid, film, record, tape, archive.

Keith Loh
September 24th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Sometimes I say: "videoing". But I think it is "taped". As in "____ is taped before a studio audience."

Glenn Chan
September 24th, 2003, 06:16 PM
shoot?

Chris Hurd
September 24th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Shooting, shot on, taping, recorded, acquired, acquistion... we had a big discussion here once about using the term "filming" and came to the conclusion that "film" has definitely changed meaning in recent years and is an acceptable term. Lots of recognizance with that word. Technically not correct, but still applicable, as long as there aren't any projectionists from Colorado reading this (that's an in-joke, forget I said it).

Rob Belics
September 24th, 2003, 07:04 PM
When I worked in TV we always taped. Film was, uh, filming.

Alex Taylor
September 24th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Film is a perfectly acceptable term for shooting an image on to any sort of motion picture media.. the argument made before was that it's like painting a picture, which can mean you're using acryllic, oil, watercolour, etc..

Dylan Couper
September 25th, 2003, 07:30 AM
For me:
Shooting
Filming
or
Getting my shoot on. :)

Rob Belics
September 25th, 2003, 07:47 AM
But if you describe taping as filming you confuse people. The next logical question is "are you using film?" Which automatically leads people to believe it will be in theatres. Taping leads people to believe it's video or for TV.

Until I came to this board, I had never heard of taping being called filming. And my first video job was in 1971!

Jim Quinlan
September 25th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Earlier this week I just had the same dilemma when printing up several 12 foot banners for my http://www.talktothecamera.com project.

I finally ended up with a large "Now Filming" on the banner which technically wasn't correct since I'm using video but "Now VideoTaping" just didn't cut it. And "Now Shooting" combined with the subject of my project would be even more confusing.

Gints Klimanis
September 25th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Videotaping is accurate, but other posts indicate, it takes a long time to utter five syllables.

Vtaping !

Remember, email is short for electronic email. It's too bad that
the significant word "video" is first. Doh.

Within the decade, many video recorders won't have tape. The video will be going to flash cards, hard drive, even by wireless network. 6GB flash cards already exist, although they are prohibitively expensive. 6 GB is about 1/2 the capacity of a miniDV.

Dylan Couper
September 26th, 2003, 12:23 AM
How about V-Filming? If you are going to go that route...

V-Film, V-Filming, Copyright 2003 Pyroglyph Films, All Rights Reserved. Send me royalties now. :)

Vladimir Koifman
September 26th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Once blue-ray recorders take on, should we use video-disking instead? Or should it be DVD-ing?

Alex Taylor
September 26th, 2003, 02:36 AM
The other thing is the simple fact that certain terms sound nicer. Would you rather be a chauffer or a cab driver? Laisez-faire or "let them do as they please?"

When I hear "videotaping" or "taping," right away I think of old, clunky Betacams. Filming implies art.

Andres Lucero
September 29th, 2003, 03:36 PM
viddy viddying viddied

Gints Klimanis
September 29th, 2003, 04:00 PM
To some, a Laisez-faire cab driver is simply an unambitious driver.

I've never even seen a betacam, so videotape is synonymous with home movies and sitcoms in my mind.

Chris Hurd
September 29th, 2003, 09:15 PM
"Presented by" -- "a presentation by" -- "presenting."

Is that nebulous enough?

;-)

Jeff Donald
September 29th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Part of it is a generational thing. If I hear the term home movies I think of 8mm or S-8mm film, not video.

Joe Gioielli
September 30th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Here in Florida most people don't know the difference. I cracked out my dod's old Regular 8mm film camera for a special project. People who walked by kept asking what I was videotapeing.

Are they films? videos? movies? talkies? soundies?

Who cares. Yes, there are snobs who like to argue such things. Heck, I've done it myself. Life's too short.

Harry Doyle
December 23rd, 2003, 04:08 PM
i shoot skateboarding, and nobody i shoot with really knows anything about cameras or dv other than me.

i generally interchange video/film all the time, but if i'm talking to another dv enthusiast i try to get it right, although i find film sounds so natural as a noun/verb. most people i talk to that are into dv say 'shot' or 'videoed'.

many of the younger guys i shoot with use pretty funny nomenclature. combine this with the fact that i am on the east coast of canada - it's a real laugh sometimes. most of them use the noun/verb 'vid'.

"vid mission today at the park boys"
"get the vid out harry!"
"hold on; i wanna get that drop on vid b'ye!"
"boys got two vids rippin for multiple angles"
"want me to vid so you can try some stuff?"

honorable mention:

"is that the fishbowl lens? let me look through it!"

but i digress.. is there a thread already dedicated to funny or unusual terminology anywhere?

harry