View Full Version : Safe to mix Fuji tapes with Panasonic?

Robert Knecht Schmidt
September 28th, 2003, 02:44 PM
I think the answer is yes, but I just want to reconfirm:

I've always used Panasonic MiniDV tapes in my gear, but I've come into some Fujifilm "DVCassete" tapes. If I recall correctly, Fuji is the manufacturer for the Panasonic tape anyway (or is it vice versa?), and so mixing Fuji with Panasonic won't gunk up the heads of my camera/deck.

Is that right?

Frank Granovski
September 28th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Why would you presume that just because Fuji may manufacture tape for Panasonic, these tapes are the same?

Sean R Allen
September 28th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Which Panasonic tape? It all depends is the answer, and there seems to be a lot of confusion over which ones are the same, dry/wet, etc. That's why I don't mess around, I use only the same brand and type, because that seems to be the only way to be 100% sure.

Even mixing tape types among the same manufacturer can cause problems, for example Panasonic MQs and PQs.

Robert Knecht Schmidt
September 28th, 2003, 04:38 PM
The Panasonics I've always used are AY-DVM60EJ ME tapes.

The new Fujis are DVM60A ME tapes.

Frank Granovski
September 28th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Robert. I don't know if mixing these will cause gumming/drop-outs. I never mix brands and types because I have seen problems first hand with doing this when I shot for people who have hired me with their cams and tapes. Also, most of the pros I know mostly use Fuji, but some use Pana, some use Sony. The ones that use Fuji say they've had the least amount of drop-outs with this tape. Another thing I've noticed over the years from cam boards is that people are always asking for help with describing a certain problem. Problem: gummed heads (they usually don't know this and just describe what they see---blocky footage etc); and when I ask what tape they are using, most of the time they reply with that they mixing tapes (with a list, of course). Sometimes people get gumming by just using a "cheap brand" of tape, like I did with JVC miniDV a number of years ago.