View Full Version : Do they sell this??

Michael McConnell
October 5th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Hello,

I want to play some raw footage from a mini-dv tape. I'm looking for a cassete device where I can put the smaller dv tape into a bigger vhs tape. I had one for 8mm years ago, but I lost it. Do they make this? I've never seen one for mini-dv?

Rob Lohman
October 5th, 2003, 09:35 AM
To my knowledge they don't. DV tape is something completely
different then VHS tape. In the past the system you are
mentioning worked on smaller tapes that had the same signal.

Your VHS heads are too large for the DV tape anyway.

Not to mention it would need to convert the digital signal to
an analog one, somehow...

Jon Yurek
October 5th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Depending on what your application for this is, you could probably just get a cheapo camera that will output via RCA, and then plug it into wherever you were planning on plugging in the VCR. If you absolutely have to use the VHS deck (or the TV only has coax inputs), well... there's not a lot you can do unless the VCR has RCA inputs (which it should). In which case, you can plug the camera into that.

J. Clayton Stansberry
October 5th, 2003, 12:09 PM
If they did make a device like this, it would probably cost more than a Mini DV camera and VCR. If you have the tapes, you probably have access to the camera! So, do exactly as Jon said. The RCA jacks are either on the back of the VCR or the front. Go from the camera to the Video and Audio IN jacks on the VCR. Change you VCR setting to read from where you are plugged in (usually Line 1 or 2 or a specific channel setting on the VCR) and push play on the camera. Or, if you don't have access to the camera and know someone who does, ask them to do this procedure and push record on their VCR while doing it and have them mail you the VHS tape. Hope this helps...

Clay