View Full Version : EX1 Lens Hood Broken....... Replacement?

Jonathan Bland
April 3rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
Hi folks,

I picked the camera up this morning to discover the lens hood cover..... where the lock down screw is.... the plastic moulding is cracked and about to give up for good. I didn't drop it of bang it....... I believe it just fatigued and snapped.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Is there a better one on the market than the standard Sony one that ships with the camera?

Big thanks.....

Ivan Snoeckx
April 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hi Jonathan,

Take a look on Sony ServicePlus website.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx

The lens hood has to be replaced in it's total, because this item is sold as a one piece item.

Part number is: 328666401 and costs about $110.

Generally all lens hoods are very costly.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan Bland
April 4th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Big thanks Ivan :)

I used a little epoxy to hold the thing together...... we'll see how long it holds up.

John Lister
May 4th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Hi Jonathan,

Take a look on Sony ServicePlus website.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx

The lens hood has to be replaced in it's total, because this item is sold as a one piece item.

Part number is: 328666401 and costs about $110.

Generally all lens hoods are very costly.

Hope this helps!

My lens hood melted, due to being too close to molten metal (about 1650C). I have been quoted £151 + VAT. Has anybody been quoted less in the UK?

Bob Grant
May 5th, 2009, 02:33 AM
We've so far had one lens hood in our fleet develop jammed shutters.
I was able to squirt a copious amount of graphite powder into an opening and after a few blasts of canned air it worked around inside enough to lubricate the plastic parts and it's now been fully functional for several months.

The only downside to this repair procedure is for some time after I was regularly cleaning graphite powder off the front of the lens. I huffed and I puffed but it would seem always a little bit of surplus powder remained inside the hood.

Jonathan Bland
March 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Ok, the epoxy finally gave way.
Now ordering from the Sony ServicePlus website.

Anyone have any idea how long it will take to get this from start to finish?
The item will be sent to Vancouver Canada, It has to be there before the 16th!

Big thanks :)

James Huenergardt
March 6th, 2010, 11:30 PM
It all depends on if they have the part in stock.

I've ordered several small parts from them and the usually ship pretty quick. You should receive an email.

Jonathan Bland
March 7th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks James :)

The site won't let me register as a Canadian... so I don't know if I can just pay via Visa Card and get the process started.

I sent a mail explaining the situation...... They will probably have to have me call them.

Derek Reich
March 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Hey, Jonathan-
If you get in a bind (such as Sony unable to get you the shade by the date you need it) let me know. I can ship you mine and you can have the replacement one shipped to me whenever. I have never used mine since have always had a matte box on my camera, so the stock shade has been sitting on a shelf since the day I got my camera-
cheers
Derek

Chuck Green
March 8th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have an extra EX1 lens hood, from when I used an EX1. I'm willing to sell it at a discount or swap it with someone who needs one. I'm located near Boston.

Cade Muhlig
March 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I need an EX3 lens hood, if anyone is willing to sell... I live in San Diego.

Jonathan Bland
June 12th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have or know where I can pick up a lens hood for the EX1.
I"m currently in Bristol, UK.

Big thanks :)

Rusty Rogers
June 15th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I left the front cap for my Sony wide adapter at a jobsite.
75 bucks for a plastic bowl. :~(

Jonathan Bland
June 16th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I hear you Rusty,
I'm looking at replacing my lens hood here in the UK and it be something like $275 CAD which is crazy.
Thanks Sony.