View Full Version : Using Native EX .MP4 files on Mac Quicktime

Keith Moreau
April 3rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hello All

One thing that bugs me a little bit about the EX workflow is the need to either preview in the XDCAM Clip Browser or Transfer. I can open them up in later versions of VLC (video lan client) but I'd like to be able to install a codec or plugin so I can open them in quicktime, as well as import them in FCP and edit directly. Since the XDCam transfer is just doing a rewrap of the stream files I don't see a reason why there can't be a plugin or something that just wraps them in real time. I don't much like having to create twice as much data (first archiving the native XDCAM EX BPAV directories and then transfer them to .MOV, basically duplicating the same data.

I'd also like to be able to view, in full resolution, the day's 'rushes' without having to transfer/copy them using the transfer tool

I tried out the Calibrated Software but I don't think this is the solution, seems like it might work from the marketing on the site but when actually downloading and installing the codec/plugin it doesn't help me.

Any hints out there?

Craig Seeman
April 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
CalibratedSoftware plugin is so you can hand the XDCAM EX .mov file to a non Final Cut Pro system.

There's no plugin yet that can play the EX MP4 in Quicktime.
The EX MOV won't play in Quicktime either unless one has FCP or the CalibratedSoftware plugin.

One can hope someone will fill this void.
VLC does work though at least for viewing the EX MP4 and it's cross platform.

Mitchell Lewis
April 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Keith: You probably already know this but....archiving your BPAV folder for the future is a good idea. What if you switch to a PC in the future? You'll need that BPAV folder to rewrap your footage again for MXF (or what ever the flavor of the month is)

But I agree, it's too bad that we can view XDCAM EX codec footage more easily. I recently switch to XDCAM HD after editing in DV for the last 7 years, and while the quality is MUCH better, I miss the ease of use of DV.

I do like the fact the Sony is offering all the software for free to install on a Mac or PC. It's just a pain to have to do it every time you need to view on another computer.

Once you do the "XDCAM 2-Step" and have MOV files, they can be viewed in many other ways other than Final Cut Pro.

1) Finder- using Cover Flow
2) Adobe Bridge- I haven't tried this yet, but Doug Jensen loves it. I guess you can drag/drop directly from Bridge into FCP or other applications
3) VLC player- I haven't tried this either, but supposedly the latest version of VLC Player will play either the raw MP4 files or the XDCAM MOV files.

You probably already knew all this, but I thought I'd post this just in case.

Paul Newman
April 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Edius plays the mp4 file without need for anything else, runs an a MAC with bootcamp.

Paul