View Full Version : Video Capture To External Drive

Clarence Walker
October 13th, 2003, 11:03 AM
I've just bought the Acomdata External Drive, USB 2.0.

Last night I attempted to capture footage (Sony Vaio RX450, 1.3 GB with DVGate Capture card) to the new Local drive. The footage did not capture in real time as before, instead taking minutes for 1 sec. of tape.

Is it the USB connection, or do I need the "firewire" external drive that's also provided by this company?

Thanks, falling very behind on two wedding videos,

Clarence

Glenn Chan
October 13th, 2003, 12:34 PM
I don't hear many good things about Acom drives, firewire or USB2. Anyways, to answer your question:

Internal drives / Firewire800 > Firewire400 > USB2

The chipset used by the firewire enclosure will affect capture speeds. For firewire400, the oxford 911 chipset is the best. I believe Granite and OWC (other world computing?) have this chipset as well at other enclosures. Firewire400 works for MOST people (on Macs it doesn't work for everyone, I don't know about PC).

Use internal drives if you can. They are cheaper and faster for video capture and editing.

Rob Lohman
October 13th, 2003, 12:38 PM
I'm not seeing how you can do minutes over something that is
seconds long. Your PC will just drop the frames and keep trying
to keep up.

Your drive should be fast enough. Do you have a lot of others
things connected to USB that might cause problems? I believe
I once heard of a USB MIDI device that was flooding the USB
bus with packets and thus halting a lot of other equipment that
needed large bandwidth

Clarence Walker
October 14th, 2003, 09:27 AM
I really appreciate the feedback.

Glenn, I ended up returning the Acom, and going internal. Fortunately, the tech. at Fry's was very good, and rushed me through last night.

I ended up with a 120G, and was able to load the rest of the Wedding clips without a hitch.

So to both you and Rob, thanks again.

Clarence