View Full Version : General DVD questions

Mike Scoboria
October 16th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Hi,

Could anybody give me any advice on DVD burners? I'm thinking of getting one for a mac and I don't know if there are compatibity issues with certain models. Can anybody recommend a model that they are happy with? And if it's external and firewire, have you had any problems using other firewire devices simultaneously (I have problems with a hard drive and a DV deck working together.)?

Thanks,

Mike

Jeff Donald
October 16th, 2003, 12:10 PM
What software are you using? iDVD only recognizes internal SuperDrives. You can't even buy the equivalent drive and install it yourself. The software won't recognize the drive.

I suggest the Pioneer DVR-106. I use several different DVD burners, all Pioneer, and highly recommend them. They work fine with DVD SP.

Rob Lohman
October 16th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Do a search here on the forum, the subject has been talked about
quite much. I would recommend a multi-format burner, then you
are sure you can burn anything. The pioneer is a very solid model.
Nec, Sony and some other companies have multi-format burners
as well.

Gints Klimanis
October 16th, 2003, 06:08 PM
I 2nd the suggestion on the multi-format drive. I used to not think much of it until someone passed me a set of DVD+Rs of raw video footage. My older Sony DVD-ROM drives couldn't read it, neither could my Pioneer A04. So, I have to borrow a drive that does DVD+R.

Ed Smith
October 17th, 2003, 02:26 AM
I would go for the pioneer. I believe that Apple bundle rebranded Pioneer writers as there own with their equipment.

Cheers,

Ed

Mike Scoboria
October 20th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks everybody!

Andrew Hogan
October 20th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Apparently the latest currently available Pioneer superdrives from apple can burn DVD-R and DVD+R. (I'm not sure of the model number yet) They wont work with iDVD yet but will when the Panther comes out.
~well thats what my Apple store tells me yesterday~