View Full Version : Studio Pro 1.2 LE

Lynne Whelden
October 16th, 2003, 05:02 PM
So many users seem to reject JVC's editing solution out of hand. I'm wondering if anyone has taken on the challenge to try to make the best of the situation and to do an entire production using the free software. Or am I missing something? Are its deficiencies so great it's literally impossible to do a nice soundtrack (with at least nat sound and narration or music on two channels), a simple title and a few basic transitions? In other words, a typical documentary-styled piece that uses insert edits. I don't need titles that jiggle or composited shots. I've heard so little about this software, could someone experienced with LE please fill me in? Thanks!

Paul Mogg
October 16th, 2003, 05:18 PM
I found it difficult and very time consuming to simplyadd 3 or 4 clips in a row and add a crossfade between each, without the darn thing constantly crashing, it seemed untested and unfinished to me.

Just my personal experiece.

Steve Mullen
October 16th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Really good question Lynne.

If it's simply weird I could write a HOW TO.

But, I'm not going to bother if it's full of bugs.

I can tell you JVC was not interested in my reviewing it.

I've been waiting for feedback here and/or an update to be posted by JVC.

And, although this is by far the most active list for the JVC camcorders, I'm not sure how many contributors are actually TODAY editing with a deadline, HDV material. So who's edited and finished a piece? And, on what?

Raymond Krystof
October 16th, 2003, 07:33 PM
I have Studio Pro 1.0 LE, which is what came with my HD10. At first I thought the software was working OK. Captures without problem, but building a timeline seems almost impossible. I once defended the product when I just started editing because with only 5 or 6 minute of timeline everything was working OK. Later, with only 12 minutes of timeline, simple cuts and transitions, everything came to a screeching halt. It didn’t crash, but it feels on the verge of doing so. The hard drive just grinds and nothing happens. I just gave up.

I didn’t know that there is a version 1.2 out. If this is available with a no cost upgrade, I might try it. If there is any cost at all involved, at this point I will opt to pursue Aspect HD instead.

Peter Robert
October 16th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Raymond,

What is the config of your PC?

I edit HD clip without any problem. no matter it is 5 minutes or two hours project. My pc is P4 2.8, 1gb ram and a seperate video drive.

Raymond Krystof
October 16th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Peter,

I have a P4 3.06, 1gb ram and separate video drive running XP home edition. Please note that I have Studio Pro 1.0 LE. Could this be the problem?

Bob England
October 16th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Perhaps help is on the way.
The companies that established the HDV format have set up a website, http://www.hdv-info.org. Not much there now besides the press release, but even that is interesting because it states, "The following companies have expressed support for the HDV format at present:
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Canopus Co., Ltd.
KDDI R&D Laboratories
Sony Pictures Digital Networks
Ulead Systems, Inc."

Can this mean that official support for HDV formate in Adobe Premiere, Canopus Edius, and Sony Vegas may not be far off?

Steve Mullen
October 16th, 2003, 11:21 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Robert : Raymond,

What is the config of your PC?
-->>>

Have you edited a long (>15 minutes) piece with FX?

Which version of XP?

Which Graphics card?

The 2.8 is the new Hyper Threaded P4?

Raymond Krystof
October 16th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Steve and all,

Peter did state that he had succsess with projects of two hours. I’m now curious if there has been a major change to the software. Version 1.2 vs. 1.0. I’ve tried to search the JVC site but haven’t found anything on this upgrade. Anyone else have any insite into this version change?

Steve Mullen
October 17th, 2003, 02:00 AM
I haven't heard of an upgrade?

Something's odd. One person gets 2 hours another only a few minutes.

Peter Robert
October 17th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Raymond,

I forgot the version of the Studio Pro. But I bought my HD1 at the very beginning when it was launched in the market. And I never upgraged my software.

Lynne Whelden
October 19th, 2003, 09:43 PM
So I guess my question is directed to the one person on the planet that is able to edit with the bundled software.....

--can you do insert edits?
--can you extract audio from video?
--how do you construct the sound track?
--is there a titler?
--are the clips stored in a "bin?" how do you keep track of the clips?
--can you do a basic dissolve?

I'll stop there for now. Thanks..

Steve Mullen
October 20th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Lynne, most of your questions are answered at the KDDI website.

I thought you had a camcorder? If so you can try the NLE.

Lynne Whelden
October 20th, 2003, 08:00 AM
I've already bought your book (thanks!)and I've been following these discussions for months but the project I would be needing this camcorder for isn't until next summer. Thus I haven't plunged in yet with a purchase. I'll check out the website.

Stephen L. Minor
October 21st, 2003, 05:16 AM
I tell you my vote is hell no. It's impossible. IMPOSSIBLE I TELL YOU!!!!

I would like to see lynne's ques. answered. Editing is cuts, dissolves, fades, filters of 80+ min. not slapping some clips on a timeline.

-S

Lynne Whelden
October 21st, 2003, 03:28 PM
Steve, where is the kddi website? I entered that in a google search and I didn't see anything having to do with video editing or software.

Steve Mullen
October 21st, 2003, 04:12 PM
Here's the link.

And it looks like there is an update.

http://avs.kddlabs.co.jp/mpeg/mpro12/indexe.html

Bob England
October 21st, 2003, 09:17 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Mullen : Here's the link.

And it looks like there is an update.

http://avs.kddlabs.co.jp/mpeg/mpro12/indexe.html -->>>

Unfortunately, when you go to the above link, you find the following message:
"MPEG Edit Studio Pro LE has been bundled with JVC's GR-HD1(the world's first consumer Digital Hi-Def Camcorder)and JY-HD10.(the world's first affordable Pro high-definition camcorder.)
*If you have any questions about MPEG Edit Studio Pro LE version including software update, please contact your local JVC offices or agents described in the user's manual of GR-HD1."

Jose Cavazos
October 21st, 2003, 09:26 PM
If you are in a tight budget, Vegas+DVD is your best bet for NLE. Premiere + Aspect HD is about $1400 more.

John Hatchett
December 3rd, 2003, 02:40 PM
So has anyone managed to talk to JVC about an update to any of the software bundled with the camera?

HDCapture 1.0
Mpeg Edit Studio Pro LE 1.0
ImageMixerDVD 1.0

I would also like something a little more streamlined, like a direct to DVD-R solution.

John