View Full Version : Good Sachtler in $800 range?

Nick Medrano
October 22nd, 2003, 11:19 PM
Hi,
I did a search for "Sachtler" in this forum and only came up with a few usable answers.

But, I still would like to know what would be the best Sachtler tripod kit to get in the $800 range. It was only a few months ago when I purchased my first Bogen kit (3011N/501) for my DVX100...and I have already outgrown it.

I want something heavy. I want something better at panning, and I want something that won't budge so much in windy conditions. I am also not concerned about portability, but it would be nice to have a leveling ball (I think this is only reserved for $1000+ tripods?).

I am currently looking at this. What do you think? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?BI=155&O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=256421&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

So, what would be the tripod for me? Feel free to convince me of any other brands besides Sachtler.

Adrian Douglas
October 22nd, 2003, 11:38 PM
You might want to check out the Miller DS5 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=179035&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo) @ $799 from B&H. Both Miller and Sachler are great tripods and both are suited for the DVX in basic configuration. I guess it's difficult to try them both out where you are but if you can it'd be a good idea.

Nick Medrano
October 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM
Adrian,
Thanks for your suggestion. I went to the Miller homepage and they had a feature that gives you tripod suggestions based on your type of camera and brand.

Anyways, I noticed a lot of these come with a "ground spreader". Can you tell me a little more about this? Wouldn't it be hard to use a ground spreader on a bunch of rocks or unlevel terrain? What's the benefit of a ground spreader?

Also, am I right in thinking that most sub-$1000 tripods do not have a leveling ball? What is a "tilt counterbalance system"?

Update: Looks like I am going to shoot for the Miller DS-5 SOLO.