View Full Version : Looking for help!

Danny Santos
October 28th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Hi! I am a rookie in videography and just got my GL2 and enjoying every minute of it. Took it to Yosemite Valley in California last weekend and had a blast taking footage of lots magnificent sceneries.

Anyway, I will be going to the Far East (Philippines) in January 2004. I plan to take a video of a certain festivity called ati-atihan and here is their website for info:

http://www.bibingka.com/phg/ati2han/

As I've mentioned before, I am rookie and of course, I am asking for any tips, hints, suggestions, etc. on how to prepare and shoot this festivity. Another thing, is how do I prevent condensation problem with my GL2? The country is very tropical and humid and I'm most likely will run into this problem by going in and out of air-conditioned hotels.

Thanks !!

Rob Wilson
October 28th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Danny,

Only way to completely avoid condensation is to keep the cam warmer than the air outside. Tough to do if you're going in and out all the time. Might want to do a search on condesation since it's been discussed several times the last few months.

Just a thought but.... If you are going in and out of AC'ed spaces and have to shoot in both, I wonder how well one of the Portabrace Polarbear cases would work to keep the cam above outside air temp.

Kevin King
October 28th, 2003, 11:31 PM
One suggestion would be to enclose the camera in a tight case or camera bag before leaving the hotel. Spend some time outside with the bag before opening it - this will give the camera a chance to warm up closer to the ambient air temp - AFTER it has warmed up a bit, then open the bag and expose it to the humidity, and the condensation problem will be reduced.

Another trick I've heard of is to get some of those single use "muscle warmer" packs from the drug store or some sporting goods store. They have a chemical in them with a burstable capsule inside. You squeeze the bag to burst the capsule, then shake it up - it gets good and warm for about 6 hours. Throw a couple of those in your camera bag before going outside and it will help to warm up the camera even faster.

The thing to really avoid is taking the cam from cool inside conditions straight into the humidity without letting it warm up in dry air first.

Other checklist items are extra batteries, and possibly an upgraded microphone along with some good headphones to monitor your sound if you're concerned about getting the best sound possible.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Good luck!

Danny Santos
October 29th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Kevin and Rob,
Thank you for your suggestions. I never thought about the the "muscle warmer". That was good suggestion. In fact, I kept some of those warmers in my boat and use it while fishing. Keeps the jacket and hands warm.

I am indeed in the market for a dm50 microphone. I read that they really improve the sound. I really need a good microphone for this festivity.

Alan McCormick
October 29th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Danny,

yes there are many threads on the DM-50, I can vouch for it being a lot better than the onboard mic.

Consider a good pair of headphones too so you can monitor your audio - Sennheiser do some good ones that fold up too so will help when packing.

Good luck on your trip.

Randy Wisman
October 29th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Hi Danny,

Actually I have been in the Philippines myself in january this year. I shoot quite a lot of tape during the Ati-Atihan festival with my XM-2. It's a great color-full festival and will give you great material.

My experience during my 4 week visit is that condensation is not an issue. Only in one occasion (during strong rain) I had to wait for a couple of minutes after I took the camera out of the bag.

However DUST will definitely be problem. I did tread my camera with great care, but found a lot of dust in the tape compartment. Also encountered quite some drop-outs and "clean head messages".

An other advise is to bring along another mic. The noise and volume of the music will be tremendous. The internal mic had some difficulty in the lower frequency range.

Succes!
Randy