View Full Version : Hey Chris, A Question About DV Info Net Sponsors...

Phil Reams
November 6th, 2003, 06:12 AM
I'm a fairly regular customer of B&H. A while back, I bookmarked a link you provided in the PD150 forum when they came on-board as a sponsor.

I just want to make sure that the community gets credit when I purchase a product or navigate to their site.

Is this the proper link? I think I know the answer, but I just wanted to make sure.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=155 (I did not make it a clickable link for ease of reading...)

Thanks!

-Phil

Jeff Donald
November 6th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Yes, that is the correct link. It identifies that you got to B & H's site via the DV Info site. B & H tracks this type of activity to see if there support of DV Info is justified. It is important therefore, that you use our custom link each time you go to B & H and not bookmark the generic B & H web address.

Phil Reams
November 6th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Cool. Thanks Jeff.

-Phil

Bryan Beasleigh
November 6th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Clicking on your link and then book marking it will not allow for tracking. The original link
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=155

will be converted to http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home
when you click on "add" to favorites

To change this back I clicked on the B&H bookmark. Right clicked and selected properties. I deleted the forwarded URL and pasted the one that you listed (the one that will allow tracking)

This is a duplicate of a post I just left on the Sponsors thread. I may not have explained it that well. This ios something that should be addressed so that this site can get the proper recognition.

Rob Wilson
November 6th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Chris,

Want to make sure I'm doing it right. If I click on the B&H link on the sponsors page, your site gets credit right?

Thanks

Jeff Donald
November 6th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Yes, you can use the link on the sponsors page and thanks for helping to support the forums and the site.

Bryan, it must be a Mac/PC thing as far as bookmarking the link. Bookmarking works on both the Mac browsers I use regularly.

Rob Wilson
November 6th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Glad to hear it considering the change I've been sending to BH lately. Does BH report referal spending back to the site? It would be interesting to see just what sponsorship does for them.

Bryan Beasleigh
November 6th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Sure, the bookmark works, but it's marking the main page that the login page refers it too.

Try this
Click on the posted URL

then read the address on your browser, they're different.

The Sponsor log In page has forwarded you to the home page after it's counted the hit.

You still don't believe me, read the link in the bookmark properties box.

Chris Hurd
November 6th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Rob -- if I hear back from B&H regarding a referral report, I'll be sure to post it. Thanks,

Dorothy Engleman
December 2nd, 2003, 01:21 AM
I can't praise enough the extraordinary service and attention I received from Chris at ZGC where I purchased my ZR65 and will buy my procam next year, and would like to thank Chris H. for this great sponsor!

I wish I could say the same for the folks at B&H but my pre-Thanksgiving purchase from them has turned into a consumer nightmare.

The only other dealer that carries the Bogen model I wish to purchase is Adorama. Would it be inappropriate for me to ask whether anyone has had a positive experience with this non-sponsor?

As always, thanks for your informative and helpful comments!

Dorothy

John Locke
December 2nd, 2003, 02:07 AM
Dorothy,

I've used Adorama and B&H for purchases. I'd have to recommend giving B&H another chance and trying to avoid Adorama.

That's not because I'm a wrangler here and want to promote our sponsors...it's based on experience. I've never had a major problem with B&H, but with Adorama it was all problems.

Dorothy Engleman
December 2nd, 2003, 07:43 PM
Hi John,

OK, Adorama is chopped liver.

This afternoon, I spoke with a B & H Customer Service sup and was able to congenially resolve issues about my order much to my satisfaction.

Thanks for your encouraging words. I love happy endings!

Dorothy

Marc Young
December 29th, 2003, 02:33 PM
I would stay away from Adorama too. They insist on shipping from a reverse phone number to address directory, which is just plain wrong. The computer can't be wrong, i.e., you have to live at that address. No I don't.

If you want to know how good the customer service is at B&H, I'll give you an example. Two months ago, I special-ordered a Kino-flo fixture from them. The web site had a picture which indicated a ballast was present. A customer service rep must have noticed that the model # did not track with the picture shown. He called me up to notify me. They let me cancel the order, even though special-orders are not usually cancellable. That's what I call honesty and integrity. Try finding that at Adorama.

Jack Barker
October 30th, 2004, 11:01 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald :Bryan, it must be a Mac/PC thing as far as bookmarking the link. Bookmarking works on both the Mac browsers I use regularly. -->>>

Jeff, Bryan is correct. The URL changes too quickly to the B&H home page to be able to bookmark it, but it only takes a second to change it in "Properties" to the URL posted above. If I hadn't read Bryan's posts, I would have gone on thinking that I had done a GOOD THING by bookmarking a URL which would give some credit to DV Info.

Henry Posner
March 10th, 2005, 12:19 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Dorothy Engleman :

This afternoon, I spoke with a B & H Customer Service sup and was able to congenially resolve issues about my order much to my satisfaction.

Thanks for your encouraging words. I love happy endings!

Dorothy -->>>

I am pleased to hear this has been resolved and apologize for your earlier difficulty.

To the others here -- we're pleased to sponsor dvinfo.net and we're thrilled you want to be sure the site gets the kudos for the business. We're around when you need us. Thanks.

Patrick King
March 10th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Mr. Posner,

I've got to give your website kudos. Amazing place. You know that everyone uses your website like an Audio/Video/Photo encyclopedia, right. Anytime anyone here mentions an obscure piece of A/V gear, I open another window and search for it on your site. I'm certain that's why your company has put what must have been considerable time and effort into the establishment and day-to-day upkeep of such a great website. You've got to get a certain number of sales just because it can be easily located on your website. Anyway, just wanted to brag on the html/php elves you have working in a back room somewhere.

Jacques Mersereau
March 12th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I am sorry to report another B&H mishap. FYI, I have purchased thousands
of dollars of gear from them and never had a problem until this time.

I ordered a LACIE big disk Extreme from B&H. I could have bought it directly
from Lacie (done that too), but as B&H is a sponsor here I thought why not?

The drive arrived. The outside box as in PERFECT condition. Cool.
Opened it and took out the Lacie box. Immediately my heart sank as
that box was SMASHED. It looked like it had been dropped from the top
shelve and hit the floor from 20 FT up. With trepidation I opened it and
took out the drive. It was in THREE PIECES. The face plate was totally
off and the drive was half out of the enclosure. In case you don't own
a Lacie drive, they do NOT open . . . they are all press fitted together.

I emailed BH and my partner phoned them. After a lot of hassling and trying
to explain that the outside box was perfect, but the Lacie box was smashed,
the customer rep. begrudgingly said that he would replace the drive, but WE
had to pay for shipping the new drive. He would send us a UPS bar coded
return sticker for the broken drive via web page. I sent the broken drive back,
but as BH smashed it at their warehouse,
didn't feel like ordering another one from them.
I just now found that BH has not credited us the full amount, but
kept back the original shipping charge. It is only $15, but as I did NOTHING
wrong (except order from them?), WHY should I take this hit?!

I hope that someone from BH will help make me a happy customer once again,

Richard Alvarez
March 12th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Jacques,

FOr what its worth, I sent my edit system back to my retailer for some upgrades. It arrived back at my home and was signed for by my son while I was out. I looked at the box it came in, and it was HUGE... much larger than the one I shipped in. I immediately got my digital camera, and photographed it as I opened it and looked in. The CPU was laying in the box, with the rubber bumpers off, and a handfull of peanuts tossed in. I freaked and called my supplier... And emailed them the photos.

Turns out, that was not the box it was shipped in. Also turns out that the system was not harmed... but my retailer had a nice loooong talk with the shipper.

This sort of thing has happened to me twice in the last two years.

I now make it a matter of course, to photograph anything I ship, as I pack it, and anything that arrives as I unpack it. I don't put it past the shippers, to damage and repack expensive electronics, hoping to pass the damages back into the system.

Not saying that this is what happened in your case, but it's the sort of thing that can happen, and then be mistakenly attributed to the sender, not the shipper.

Jacques Mersereau
March 12th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Yup, my partner took video of the whole thing, but the outside box
was a B&H box with the tape.

My take: someone in shipping tossed the Lacie
box from some super high shelf and it hit the ground and smashed . . . gulp.
Put it in the shipping box and sent it on its way. Knowing how a customer
who spends thousands gets the NY attitude, I can only imagine the beating some
minimum wage schlepper in the warehouse will get for smashing a $400 piece with low markup.

Henry Posner
March 14th, 2005, 09:32 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jacques Mersereau : I am sorry to report another B&H mishap. FYI, I have purchased thousands of dollars of gear from them and never had a problem until this time. -->>>

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have replied more extensively via e-mail.

Chris Hurd
March 14th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Thank you Henry!

Alan Craven
March 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Is it possible to use this special URL to place an order from the UK? I am interested in the Beachtek DXA 8 which is not readily available here.

If the order is possible, what happens about the various customs procedures, duty, etc?

Chris Hurd
March 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Good questions, Alan. Please contact B&H directly and let us know what the response is.

Henry Posner
March 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Is it possible to use this special URL to place an order from the UK? I am interested in the Beachtek DXA 8 which is not readily available here.

If the order is possible, what happens about the various customs procedures, duty, etc?

Our paperwork will accurately reflect the contents and the price paid. The customer is responsible for import fees, duty, Customs, local taxes, etc.

Chris Hurd
March 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
How about that Alan, a direct response from B&H within 30 minutes of your posted question, and about 15 minutes after I moved it to this forum. Now that's what makes the internet an amazing thing. Thanks Henry!

Alan Craven
March 7th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Amazing!

It took several emails, and a personal intervention on my behalf from a major customer of a highly regarded dealer here in the UK to reach this point!

I have replied to Henry Posner directly. Now to tackle Gordon Brown - our esteemed guardian of the public purse.

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum and hijacking a thread - I thought as B&H were looking there, it would get a response.

David Jasany
June 10th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I didn't know about linking from the DVi forums to B&H for a purchase I made last night for a Sony HC7 HD camcorder. After reading the sticky this morning I see that it's important for B&H to know when purchases are made as a result of the DVi community's sharing of information.

Please know that this forum was instrumental in helping me choose and purchase the HC7. That combined with my excellent experience with B&H led to the make purchase. Thanks.

Dave

George Ellis
June 21st, 2007, 06:39 AM
I didn't know about linking from the DVi forums to B&H for a purchase I made last night for a Sony HC7 HD camcorder. After reading the sticky this morning I see that it's important for B&H to know when purchases are made as a result of the DVi community's sharing of information.

Please know that this forum was instrumental in helping me choose and purchase the HC7. That combined with my excellent experience with B&H led to the make purchase. Thanks.

Dave
I too deal almost exclusively with B&H for hardware. Just traded my VX2100 (I did not like the price much, but the low risk factor sealed it in the end) and bought a HC7 too.

I have never had an issue with any of the sponsors I have dealt with and they are top e-tailers (videoguys are the other one I have done a lot with.)

Bill Spearman
October 25th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Glad I ran across this, as I am preparing to order a couple of things from B&H, but would not have used the sponsor link to do it. I will ensure that I do so going forward when ordering from any sponsor. A suggestion from a marketing perspective - perhaps highlighting this point somehow to the members upon signing up would make the point more directly?

Chris Hurd
October 25th, 2007, 11:47 PM
A very good suggestion, Bill -- will do. Much appreciated,

John Mahoney
April 27th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Not a question, but I've just ordered some stuff thru this site. We'll see how we go with it mate.

Byron Jones
May 3rd, 2013, 07:30 PM
Is there any way to give this forum credit when using the B&H app? I have found it very well designed and convenient.

Chris Hurd
May 3rd, 2013, 10:27 PM
There's a B&H app?

Byron Jones
May 5th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Yes. It's great. It allows you to stay logged in if you prefer, easily view and reorganize items in multiple wish lists, plus all of the normal search features of the website. It is easy to switch back and forth between items you have searched for and items already in wish lists for comparison. It is fast and well organized. I just don't think it credits my purchases to this forum. I like the app much better than the mobile version of the website. The app is faster than the full site when using mobile devices. Maybe I will create my wish lists on the app, but log in using this sites link when I intend to purchase...