View Full Version : Newbie Burning DVD with Pinnacle S8 and Roxio

Steve Urban
November 6th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Hi:

I just finished editing the first 3 1/2 tapes of our recent trip to Bolivia into a 60 minute S8 project. I don't want to start editing the other 3 1/2 tapes into the second project if I can't create a menu system and index on my DVD.

I just burned my first 60 minute DVD using S8 at highest resolution setting and Plextor DVD burner. Shot video with GL2.
I was very impressed on how crystal clear the video appeared on DVD on 32" tv.

While 30 minutes into viewing DVD I pressed the "prev" button on DVD control to go back to the previous scene and it started the DVD back at the beginning.

Does anyone know if it is possible to:
1) with S8 to create an index at beginning of DVD so you can jump to particular scenes just like a Blockbuster movie DVD has?
2) with S8 burn three 15 minute videos on one DVD and be able to select the one you want to play at the beginning
3) I have been unable to find in S8 manual how to create menus for the DVD

If none of the above works with S8, I do have the lite version of Roxio DVD Creator that came with the Plextor DVD burner. I have opened this up and was wondering:
1) Is it possible to just render the video in S8, and then call the file into Roxio and use Roxio's menu building features?
I noticed that S8 saves the rendered video in the Auxiliary folder but this file consists of many files and folders. Is it possible to import all of these files and folders into Roxio.

Maybe I will need to upgrade to the full the full version of Roxio DVD creator 6. It might be worth it if it allows me to import in my S8 rendered files.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Urban

Gints Klimanis
November 6th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Studio8 is an integrated Capture/Edit/Burner application.

Regarding the Prev button, are you talking about the previous track button? I've made lots of DVDs with S8, and this works for me. Be careful. DVD players don't support all DVD-R features consistently. If you're talking about the rewind button causing the DVD playback to skip to the first chapter, this happens on my Apex but not on my new Sony. Same DVD-R, inconsistent performance. From my perusal of the Pinnacle Web Studio8 forum, it appears that S8 is the cause of this problem.

>1) with S8 to create an index at beginning of DVD so you can >jump to particular scenes just like a Blockbuster movie DVD has?

Yes. Just use the DVD menu for this. If you want index points that aren't chapter points, you're out of luck with S8.

>2) with S8 burn three 15 minute videos on one DVD and be able >to select the one you want to play at the beginning

Just drag the thumbnail for that scene to the beginning of the timeline. Add a DVD menu *after* that video. I have no luck with titles, transitions or > 1 movie on startup with S8, so just stick to one movie.

>3) I have been unable to find in S8 manual how to create menus >for the DVD

It's there. I found that revision 8.5.21 is the best. Anything after that has audio/video sync problems, anything before that has major DVD rendering problems. Seriously, stick with that revision and don't be tempted to "upgrade."

Steve Urban
November 6th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Hi Gints:

I'll check the DVD Menu out and do a few tests with real small
video files to get the hang of it.

Thanks for the great info!

Steve