View Full Version : Problem taking pictures with GL2

Richard R Rivera
November 11th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Hello every one i wanted to know if its me or the GL2 thats having the problem.

the GL2 can take still pictures, so they say. I have done so and when i take a look at them thru zoom browser to adobe they seam to have a grainey look to them. im taking the pictures by the largest format the camera allows at fine settings. i use a try pod so that its still.ive done this in manual mode and auto expose and still get the same results. can any one help me out with this problem.

Ken Tanaka
November 11th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Richard,
Questions about the GL2's still photo capabilities must be one of the top 10 types of questions we get here. So you're not alone.

The still photo feature is on the GL2 as more of a marketing "me too" feature. But the fact is that video cameras are quite different than still cameras and the GL2's still photo facility does not have anywhere near the control or quality that even the least expensive digital still camera features. My sugestion is to forget about this feature entirely. If you want reasonably good still photos, shoot a well-lit, properly exposed subject in frame mode and then grab still frames from the footage from your editing system.

Regarding grain, however, it sounds like you are shooting a dim subject and are not controlling the camera's exposure and gain settings.

Trig Simon
November 11th, 2003, 10:19 PM
If still pictures are shot at 1.7 mp, what is the comparable mp of the still taken from the frame mode shot.

Ken Tanaka
November 11th, 2003, 10:46 PM
The GL2 claims a 1.7 megapixel still image. But shooting stills onto the card does not offer the level of exposure control that the video section offers. That's why I remarked that you will generally get a better image, although at only a 720x480 resolution, by simply grabbing good frames from the GL2's frame-mode video.

As I noted above, don't get the GL2 for its still photo ability. To be blunt, it sucks compared to even basic digital still cameras today. Use the GL2 for great video, use a digital still camera for still photos. You'll be much happier.

Chris Fangio
November 12th, 2003, 02:42 AM
If money doesn't matter, this is the right forum.

Peter Moore
November 13th, 2003, 09:24 AM
I agree with Ken except that in good lighting conditions, stills from the GL2 are gorgeous. It is ludicrous that the still image mode doesn't have the same exposure control as movie mode. If it did it would be one fine 3 CCD still camera, rivaling the color quality (though not resolution, I admit) of the best still cameras. What a shame they crippled it.

Steve Olds
November 13th, 2003, 08:40 PM
The photos that I have with my gl2 look great but it is a 1.7 mp keep that in mind. So for email to let someone know what the footage is about I think it works great. But it is not a still camera for weddings. Just a nice side car to have.
Steve