View Full Version : Ski-Doo video and dark blue sky

Steve Luhr
November 24th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Hi all:

If you have a moment, can you check out the Ski doo MX-Z video and give me exposure comments? It's here:

http://www.skidoo.com/build/coolstuff.asp?CultureID=US&LangID=EN#

Particular to my needs are: How did they get the dark blue sky? Graduated blue or graduated ND filter? There are a ton of back lit shots that came out pleasing. Did they use ND, Polarizer, Sand/snow, stop down or some combination of the above?

(BTW, this is one of the most friendliest discussion groups I've been associated with, but enough of the gushyness.)

Oh, yeah, I have a GL-2.

Thanks,

Steve

Glenn Chan
November 24th, 2003, 06:44 PM
It looks like a polarizer to me (probably circular).

Robert Mann Z.
November 24th, 2003, 11:57 PM
looks like a lot of post cc

Norm Couture
November 25th, 2003, 09:38 AM
From an certain angle with the sunlight, a simple polarizer filter will give you that dark blue sky. It also helps reducing the flare from icy and snowy surfaces while bringing out the vibrant colors of everything in sight.
Under bright clouds, the polarizer is less efficient: a graduated grey filter can "equalize" the brightness of the scene vs the sky.

Steve Luhr
November 26th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Thanks for commenting. I'll do some testing real soon.

George Brackett III
November 26th, 2003, 04:39 AM
In the shots with the extreme blue sky, the shadows are also bluish. Looks like CC in post. Easy to do, especailly in Vegas.

Jeff Donald
November 26th, 2003, 07:41 PM
The shots are exposed for the highlights. Polarizer is used in some shots and almost all are adjusted in post. So, basically a combination of the above posts will give you similar results.