View Full Version : Sample videos using different capture modes?

Dan Owens
November 24th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking in these forums for a short time. I had originally decided to purchase the Canon GL2 but the more I am learning about the Panasonics the more I am interested in them. I basically want to shoot vacations, my nephew and also the possibility of doing more serious work later on.

I am currently using a Sony Hi8 and transfer the video into my computer using my Canopus ADVC-100. The video looks good until it is compressed to the mpeg2 format. I suppose this could be true of most consumer analog captures. I am very new to this, so it could be something I am doing wrong, but I am trying to achieve the best image possible. All the samples I have seen on these forums lately are much better than what I am seeing on my footage, as far as video quality and resolution.

Getting back to the task at hand, the zoom on the GL2 is great, but I also like the XLR inputs with phantom power on the Panasonics. I really don't know what to look for in a camcorder except that I know I want a 3ccd camera. I also know that I don’t necessarily want to have to purchase something else later for better capabilities. This means I am leaning toward the DVX100, though the DVC80 and GL2 seem very nice as well.

Anyway, my question is about the frame rates. I see a lot posted about 24p, 30p, 60i, etc. Does anyone have any samples of each, preferably the same subject (for a better comparison)? I have seen samples and am really impressed, but I really have no way of knowing which "mode" the camera was capturing in.

Any help would be appreciated. I have posted a very similar message in the Pansonic DVX forum, because I am trying to get a wide variety of sample clips in order to research this major purchase as thoroughly as possible.

Thanks in advance for you time.

(PS - Sorry for the long post)

Rob Lohman
November 25th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Try these threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6192
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3088

Dan Owens
November 25th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply I hadn't seen these particular threads before, but I did go back a few months worth of posts. By the way, I recently checked out the Lady X project, and it is impressive. I noticed a few were shot with the GL2 and others were shot with the DVCX100. They all seem nice, but it is hard to tell when the same subject isn't shot by the different cameras. I'll keep checking around.

Ken Tanaka
November 25th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Dan,
Note that seeing side-by-side clips streamed on the Web is a far cry from seeing them on a television. Unless the Web is your target venue, take such comparisons with a grain of salt.

Honestly, I think the DVX100 would be overkill, and perhaps awkward, to take on a family vacation. Even the Canon GL2 or Sony VX2000 would be budensome when traveling with family.

I don't really think you'll find a 1-size-fits-all camera. For family vacations I'd look for a small, simple camera with reasonably good imaging. Forget the elaborate filmmaking features. While you're at it, grab a small, lightweight packable tripod for the camera.

Dan Owens
November 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Hi Ken,

I think you're right about the DVX100. I think I was getting caught up in the moment. I have thought about it over the past few days and am again considering the GL2 as the main contender. I have seen it at the store and I don't think it is too big. It seems the perfect size. I have also seen a link to a new Panasonic DVC30 that seems to be a direct competitor to the GL2.

Here is the link:
http://www.panasonic.co.jp/bsd/sales_o/02products/products/ag-dvc30/ag-dvc30.html

I can't wait to see what Canon releases next, because it will probably be at the time I am ready to purchase. These are exciting times with the competition heating up.

Aaron Koolen
November 28th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Another option you might want to consider is the Sony TRV950. When I was looking for my XM2 there was a lot of comparison between the two and people thought they were very similarly specced (Apart from frame mode and a few other things). The reason I suggest it is that for home movies on vacation the TRV950 is probably easier to travel with as it's a lot smaller

Aaron

Dan Owens
November 28th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the suggestion. The thing I've heard about the TRV950 is that it gets grainy in low light. I am not sure, but I thought the GL2 was supposed to be better in low light compared to the TRV950. Is that true? Either way, with the rebates I can't help but think Canon will be bringing out something new. I certainly hope so.

As far as size, I don't really have a preference. I go more for the quality of the output. I recently upgraded my digital cameras (Canon G1 & Pro90is) to a DSLR (Canon 10d). This camera is much faster allowing me to capture my nephew more easily. It is huge compared to the point and shoot cams, but it gives much better quality and better capabilities. I am looking for something similar in a camcorder.

We have a Sony TRV615 Hi8 camcorder presently, but I am not too impressed with the output. I want something that will give me better quality. I don't really care how big it is going to be. Honestly, I find that most of the new miniDV prosumer/professional cameras aren't too terribly huge so it isn't much of an issue.

The only place I usually go to on vacation is Disney World, and I really want the best that I can afford to capture those memories. I have always been impressed with the quality of Canon's optics so I know I can't go wrong with the GL2, but I am open to anything really. I have never tried Sony professional products but their consumer products are OK. Given the choice between Canon or Sony, I would definitely choose Canon.

George Brackett III
November 30th, 2003, 10:38 AM
'This camera is much faster allowing me to capture my nephew more easily.'

I'm not touching that one!

Dan Owens
November 30th, 2003, 11:35 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by George Brackett III : 'This camera is much faster allowing me to capture my nephew more easily.'

I'm not touching that one! -->>>

Hi George,

I'm not sure I understand your comment. You apparently haven't tried to take photos of a moving two year old. My old digital cameras just wouldn't focus fast enough. They were great when the subject would remain still, but most young children don't like to stay stationary for long.