View Full Version : Century Optics 16:9 Widescreen Adapter

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Bob Thieda
March 31st, 2007, 07:56 AM
Is a matte box the only option for filters when using the Century wide screen lens?

Is there anything else?

Bob T.

Boyd Ostroff
March 31st, 2007, 07:58 AM
Century makes several sizes of clamp-on lens shades but I don't believe they're listed on their website. Give them a call and see what's available. I think Cavision makes some as well.

Bob Thieda
December 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
Schneider optics, who now owns Century optics is listing their GL1/2 16:9 adapter for $99.00....

Link here:
Century 16:9 adapter (http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1071&IID=855)

I'd order one myself, but I already have one....

I guess they are just dumping inventory on older cameras....they have the same price on the Sony VX2100 adapter....

Bob T.

Terence Murphy
December 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Now if they'd only offer the full zoom-through version for that price....

-Terence

Don Palomaki
December 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
From their specs, looks like it gives about 8x zoom range, and nets to abut 12% wider field of view than the standard lens, vs 33%wider were it full zoom through at the wide end.

Bob: Wonder how people like it who may have a higher price? Sounds like at $99 you think it is a good deal.

Bob Thieda
December 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Wonder how people liked it ( e.g., Bob) who may have paid a higher price?

I found mine on e-bay last february for about $300 and thought I got a steal.
It is practically a permanent part of my camera....
I much prefer 16:9 and I rarely need full zoom.

A buddy of mine just ordered one for his VX2100...

Bob

Ryan Avery
December 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Schneider optics, who now owns Century optics is listing their GL1/2 16:9 adaper for $99.00....

Link here:
Century 16:9 adapter (http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1071&IID=855)

I'd order one myself, but I already have one....

I guess they are just dumping inventory on older cameras....they have the same price on the Sony VX2100 adapter....

Bob T.

Bob,

You got it right. We are looking to unload a lot of 16:9 and other pieces. I will keep everyone informed as other deals happen. We also have monthly deals on our front page for filter sales. 70%+ off.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Bob Thieda
December 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks for filling us in Ryan...

Hope I didn't steal your thunder by posting this, but there are a lot of used Canon GLs and Sony VXs being bought by beginners on a budget, (like myself), and it's one heck of a lens for $99.00....

Bob T.

Ryan Avery
December 4th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for filling us in Ryan...

Hope I didn't steal your thunder by posting this, but there are a lot of used Canon GLs and Sony VXs being bought by beginners on a budget, (like myself), and it's one heck of a lens for $99.00....

Bob T.

The more people that know about the sale the better. The only people upset by the sale will be those dealers that have them stuck in thier inventory at full price. We are fairly certain that those are few if any left. Either way, this sale won't last long. If anyone is to pick one up, they better do it in the next few days. . .

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Simon Denny
December 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Would this be suitable for the Sony PD170?

Cheers
Simon

Don Palomaki
December 5th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I believe there was a Sony mount version listed on the site yesterday.

Ryan Avery
December 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Would this be suitable for the Sony PD170?

Cheers
Simon

Yes. Here is the link.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1072&IID=873

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Dave Robinson
December 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Can someone explain to my stupid little brain what the difference between this and a standard wide angle adaptor is? Does it make any 4:3 camera natively 16:9?

I can't get my head round the idea.

Chris Hurd
December 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Does it make any 4:3 camera natively 16:9?Yes. That's exactly what it does, except remove the word "native." The camera is still native 4:3, but with this converter it's now recording 16:9 anamorphic without losing any vertical resolution.

This is completely different from a standard wide angle adapter, which simply gives you a wider field of view and has nothing to do with the aspect ratio of the image itself (in other words, a wide angle adapter used on a 4:3 camcorder is still giving you 4:3 video).

Philippe Messier
December 10th, 2007, 11:38 AM
It's pretty simple really... :

the WA lense will give you just that : a wider angle either in 4/3 or 16/9

the 16/9 adaptor here will actually make sure that you use all the pixel of the 4/3 normal ratio of the GL2 for a "real" *optical* 16/9 ratio, instead of using the mode "widescreen" on your GL2 which give you a "false" 16/9 ratio, electronically created...(which is losing resolution)

In short, this adaptor will give you more resolution (the maximum that the GL2 can) if you want to shoot in 16/9.

It's basically the best way to get the best 16/9 from a GL2 (or any 4/3 cameras for that matter). Other than that, you need to get a camera with real 16/9 chips (XL2 for instance or almost all HD camera around).

Phil

Don Palomaki
December 10th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Full vertical resolution, but wider pixels, so horizontal width is greater for the same number of pixels. Also,apparently it is not full zoom-though on either end, but you do get a bit wider horizontal field of view than you do with the standard lens at full wide.

Jean-Philippe Archibald
December 11th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Is there an XL1 version somewhere?

Don Palomaki
December 11th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I've not heard of a 16x9 adapter with 72mm mount specifically for the XL1. Panasonic offers the Anamorphic Adapter LA-7200G in 72mm mount for some of their camcorders. But I really know nothing about it. Some details and reviews at:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282865-REG/Panasonic_AG_LA7200G_AG_LA7200_Anamorphic_Lens_Adapter.html
I understand it has been tried on a XL-series camcorder, but have no personal experience with it. You may find more information in the several XL series camcorder forums.

For the price you would have to pay for a quality 16x9adapter in a 72mm mount, and considering the limitations it may have on zoom range, etc., you just may be better off trading the XL1 and cash for, say, a XH-A1 with native 16x9 capability, and HD to boot. Then again, you may be able to find a used model at a bargain price from someone who has switched to HD.

Jean-Philippe Archibald
December 11th, 2007, 11:31 AM
My question was mostly asked in relation with this sale from schneider optics. I never considered a 16:9 adaptor an option because of the limitations you pointed and the relatively high cost usually asked for them. Instead I bought an XL2.

But I have an XL1 sitting on a shelf here and if there was an adapter for a couple of hundreds or less, I might be able to use it in some two cameras situations.

Don Palomaki
December 11th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I see them listed used for around U$400, give or take, on auction sites, Craigs List, etc.

Dale Guthormsen
December 11th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Good evening,

thankyou for this post. I eyeballed these a couple years back for my gl2 and passed because of the expense. I ordered mine today.
Ishoot 2 camera shoots with an xl2 and a gl2. Truly a score!!!!

thanks again!!! especially to schnider optics!!

Travis Halverson
December 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
so, do you have the camera set on 4:3 or 16:9

Bob Thieda
December 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM
so, do you have the camera set on 4:3 or 16:9

When using the Century 16:9 adaptor....set the camera for 4:3.
You expand the video to 16:9 after capture.

Bob T.

Chris Barcellos
December 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I ordered this to compliment my VX. I know it is bayonet for that camera. I am curious if I could use it on my HV20 to get academy or wider aperature, with some sort of adapter. Might be fun to play with...

Tom Blizzard
December 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
This seems to be just what I am looking for. YES !! I have two GL2 cams. However, would you please answer some questions?

Can we say that this lens will give me a true anamorphic picture? I think the answer is "YES". If so, how will I "unsqueeze " the picture when I capture it using Premiere Elements? It's OK if I don't,or don't need to, but my main concern is if I burn the final editied project to a DVD will it be in an anamorphic 16:9 format on the disc?

In other words will a DVD player set in the 4:3 mode properly display the geometry of my film with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen? Yet if the DVD player is set in the 16:9 mode, will the picture have correct geometry and fill the widescreen TV ???

David L. Holmes
December 14th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I've got a question, with the 16:9 adaptor mounted on the camera, why is the zoom limited? What happends when you try to zoom in fully, is there a chance of damaging the camera?

Jean-Philippe Archibald
December 14th, 2007, 11:08 AM
No, you will not damage the camera, but after a certain zoom point, you will not be able to focus correctly anymore.

Ryan Avery
December 14th, 2007, 01:46 PM
This seems to be just what I am looking for. YES !! I have two GL2 cams. However, would you please answer some questions?

Can we say that this lens will give me a true anamorphic picture? I think the answer is "YES". If so, how will I "unsqueeze " the picture when I capture it using Premiere Elements? It's OK if I don't,or don't need to, but my main concern is if I burn the final editied project to a DVD will it be in an anamorphic 16:9 format on the disc?

In other words will a DVD player set in the 4:3 mode properly display the geometry of my film with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen? Yet if the DVD player is set in the 16:9 mode, will the picture have correct geometry and fill the widescreen TV ???

Tom,

Thanks for your call. I figured I would answer these questions here instead of in a call so that everyone can benefit.

The 16:9 attachment will give you a true anamorphic image in that the image is original resolution and nothing sacrificed. The image is just squeezed to 16:9. Therefore, the camera should be set on normal 4:3 mode when shooting. As far as image editing to DVD, we have never tried to burn the image to DVD so I cannot say how it would play on the TV after being run through the software. However, the when we run footage back from tape in the camera, the image is displayed filling the monitor. If you had a 16:9 television, I would image (but have not tested) that this would fill the frame as well. We designed the optic to squeeze the image and tested it for resolution on the screen. Any other editing issues and result thereof would need to be directed at someone from that software company or a more knowledgable user on that subject.

Ryan Avery
Scheider Optics

Ryan Avery
December 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM
A Note to all,

We have sold out of all 16:9 anamorphic lenses in our stock. We will no longer offer the lens at $99 but we will still be able to manufacture the lens on request. The price will return to normal at $895.00 or less depending on your dealer.

Thanks,

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Tom Blizzard
December 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks Ryan. Glad I ordered mine last night.

Your reply is fine. Displayed aspect ratio can be easily controled, in most cases, with the TV remote anyway. However, it will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Stage production with a full orchestra and/or chorus sure makes a great 16:9 picture. When I saw the 4:3 frame in rehersal, I couldn't believe the wasted resolution on the overhead spotlights and even the first two or three rows of seats. Guess I'll have to just mask that out this time since the production will take place before my order arrives. Thanks so much for the great deal!
Regards, Tom

Oh yes, thanks to Bob Thieda too. Without this thread I might not have ever know about this great deal for my GL 2 cams.

Zack Birlew
December 14th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Got one the other day, glad I did before you ran out! Now I can use my HV20 and GL1 at the same time for some SD experiments I have in mind. =)

Chris van der Zaan
December 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Whew! I just placed an order over the phone just a hour before Ryan posted that message. I just hope everything is ok. (I actually sent you an email, Ryan) I wanted to order last night, but the site registration didn't work for me.. (anyone else with the same problem? It would register, but then say wrong login every time. I have tried two times) I spoke with Nathan and he said there is a few more '16:9 58mm screw in lenses' coming in a few days.. those are the very last for $99.

I also ordered the LCD WIDE SCREEN CONVERTER & 4X4 SUNSHADE FILTER/HOLDER.

I was hesitating between a Canon XHA1 or two VX2100's. This deal definitely made me go for the Vx2100's, which i am going to buy tomorrow. :)

Tom Blizzard
December 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Yes Chris, I have had the same problem. I talked to Nathan too. I have not been able to log on all day today. At first I thought I forgot my password, but not so.

I'll try again tomorrow. Glad you got your lens.

Sunny Singh
December 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
This lens is absolutely phenomenal! I've been hesitant to purchase accessories for my slowly antiquated GL2, but this seems to have been well worth it.

I'm an amateur videographer and so I'm sure my questions have (expensive?) solutions. Regardless, here they are:

1. Is there any way to mount filters onto the lens? I usually use a 58mm threaded UV filter, but it must be removed in order to mount the 16:9 adapter. I also do not see threads on the front of the adapter.

2. Is there an inexpensive sunshade I could purchase for this?

I think the obvious "sunshade filter holder" will kill both birds, but the ones I've seen are way out of my price range. Please suggest any cheap solutions!

Tom Blizzard
December 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Same here. I would like to get a sunshade for the lens!!

Chris van der Zaan
December 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
UPS was at my door to offer the package to me today. Unfortunately i was just gone. I can't wait to start using this lens! It breaths new life into 'old' 4:3 sd camcorders... and holds off expensive hd for a while.

Prior to purchase i searched for a different sunshade other than listed on Schneideroptics as well, but i haven't found any which would fit. Thats why i bought it anyway....
http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1460&IID=949

Yes, its $100.... but it can fit optional 4x4 filters, which i am hopefully going to collect as well.

Btw. Nathan mailed me that they have fixed the password problem. It is a problem with their code, not accepting passwords longer than 10chars. Get your password changed to something less than 10chars and things will be ok. :)

Chris Barcellos
December 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM
Chris:

Got mine for the VX2000 last week. Have done a bit of shooting with it, and then stretch it in Vegas. Pretty nice results. Its feels like I have a new SD 16:9 camera. Gonna have a little fun with it in the next couple of weeks.

Sunny Singh
December 21st, 2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the link, Chris. That seems to be the "cheapest" solution I've seen.

Also, I'd like to add that only con to this lens is the inability to effectively zoom. I don't know how often I'll be filming a shot that requires zoom, but not having the option is the only downside I can see so far.

Tom Blizzard
December 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM
Same here, Chris. Thanks for the link. So that does fit the 16:9 lens for the GL2 ?? I couldn't even find it on the Century or reather schnider site.

Sunny, do you have any zoom at all??

Chris van der Zaan
December 22nd, 2007, 03:57 AM
according to bhp and videolinea it fits all ds-1609 lenses

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/219322-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0DS_FH44_00_DS_FH44_Sunshade_Glass_4x4_Filterholder.html

http://www.videolinea.com/articoloscheda.asp?codice=DS-FH44-00

"Ideal filtering solution for Mini DV camcorders like Canon’s GL2/GL1, Sony’s DCR-PD170/150, VX-2100/2000 VX1000, & similar size camcorders. Accepts two 4”x4” glass filters."

It seems to clamp on, so it shouldn't be a problem? I guess ask Schneider to be 100% sure.

This was in the description for the 16:9 vx2100/pd170 adapter when it was still listed on the Schneideroptics site:

"The Century 16:9 Widescreen Adapter allows for partial zooming — one-half to two-thirds of the range (from wide toward telephoto) depending on available light."

Chris B: sounds great!

Bob Thieda
December 22nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
2. Is there an inexpensive sunshade I could purchase for this?

I think the obvious "sunshade filter holder" will kill both birds, but the ones I've seen are way out of my price range. Please suggest any cheap solutions!

I measured the O.D. of the lens and found this on E-bay cheap:
http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450020233/5.jpg
http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450020233/6.jpg

The brand name on the hood is "Tamron"
It's not perfect and it doesn't answer the filter issue. I had to cut it down to avoid vignetting....but it's better than nothing.

Bob T.

Bob Thieda
December 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Have done a bit of shooting with it, and then stretch it in Vegas. Pretty nice results. Its feels like I have a new SD 16:9 camera. Gonna have a little fun with it in the next couple of weeks.

If your doing a ton of clips, you can use a script in Vegas to stretch them all at once....
Ed Troxel put one up at his site...it's near the end of this thread:

http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/forum/viewtopic.php?t=984

Bob T.

Sunny Singh
December 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Sunny, do you have any zoom at all??

Hi Tom,

The zoom is very shallow. In fact, I'm not even sure how to quantify it. I can post a video of me zooming in/out with the lens if you like.

Zack Birlew
December 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Your zoom is cut down quite a bit, a tradeoff for native 16:9. But it's not eliminated. I would say that you would want to zoom in only about halfway, otherwise you'll have a lot of "fun" trying to find your focus. If you're doing some sort of documentary or nature stuff, then the 16:9 adapter may not be for you unless you can refrain from zooming or are willing to go back and forth from the digital 16:9 mode when you need zooming and back to the adapter when you don't. Don't do both digital 16:9 and the adapter unless you're wanting to go for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio look.

Tom Blizzard
December 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks Sunny and you too, Jack. My two lens are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Now I know what to expect.
I need a small amount of zoom for a stage performance long shot, but none for the dolly shots up close.

Chris van der Zaan
December 24th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I got my package. Here is two quick pictures of the Sunshade. It looks very nice.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2033/img2088tc6.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7379/img2089cl0.jpg

Tom Blizzard
December 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Wow, that is one good looking sunshade. Thanks for pics, Chris.
I think you made a good choice. Funny, I never thought I'd pay the same price for a lens that I'd pay for the sunshade..... decisions, decisions........

Sunny Singh
December 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Chris, thanks for sharing those pictures. When you get a chance, can you take a picture of the sunshade mounted to the lens/GL2? Thanks in advance!

Sunny Singh
December 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Funny, I never thought I'd pay the same price for a lens that I'd pay for the sunshade..... decisions, decisions........

With all due respect to Schneider Optics and similar companies, why are the sunshades (moreover, all related accessories) so expensive? Is the reason because such items are not mass produced? I mean, $100 for the sunshade/filter holder is by far the cheapest I've seen, but I'm still having an extremely difficult time trying to justify the cost.

I'm just an amateur videographer and I'm new to the world of buying accessories for my GL2. I'm just really surprised that should I decide to purchase the necessary accessories for my 16:9 adapter (ie sunshade, filters), the total cost will be a significant percentage of what I originally paid for the GL2.

Maybe I should pick up a less costly hobby!

Dale Guthormsen
December 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Sunny,

I do not think this is a Hobby!!!

It is more like a disease!!!

I am convinced when you look at the entire kit, the camera is one of the cheaper expenses. A good tripod will cost as much a a camera. I hate to even start adding it up!!!