View Full Version : Just got my GL2 & have a few questions

David Ho
December 27th, 2003, 09:43 PM
I'm so happy. I just got my GL2 and a few accessories. I got a tripod, extra batteries, and extra DV tapes. Tomorrow I'm gonna go back to get more accessories.

What are some useful hints/info I should know about handling this camera and such? I am going to go back to try to buy UV filters (Heard they were necessary if you want to protect the GL2).. I want to buy items/accessories that will prolong the life of my GL2 or at least try to protect it. I am going to buy a camcorder bag also and maybe some Canon accessories like the adapter and an exterior hookup/shotgun mic.

Anything else should I know about/look for?

Also, I just tried the frame mode and I like it. The only thing that confuses me is if the frame mode is very jerky when you move it fast and watch it in the LCD screen, does that mean, to get a more "Film-like" look and apply the frame movie mode to movies, one should pan slowly and probably use a tripod to shoot everything. (the camcorder was also on full automatic settings, the shutter speed untouched and such, maybe thats why...) What if I want to do some fight sequences that are mostly on a steadicam (similar to that of matrix fights)?

Graham Bernard
December 28th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Welcome aboard David! - You are still very much in the Honeymoon experience with this remarkable cammie. Ah, Bless!!!

This is what happened to me with my Cammie:

Love: Love [ We are the best team EVER! We can conquer the World! ]

Love:Hate [ Why don't you ever listen to me! And DO what I want to do?!?!] - This is the Denial Phase

Love: Anger! [ This isn't quite the same as the denial stage but coming to this Forum I could share my "feelings" with others - in a "secure" place - somewhere where I could "recognise" this anger amongst other "Users"]

Love:Understanding [ what it could technically do ] This is the stage where I and Cammie come close to a mutual respect of what EACH of us are capable of achieving together.

Love:Respect [ what I could possibly now do with it! ] Not quite separate bedrooms - but you get the picture - yeah?

Love:Jealousy [ This is an interesting stage. It's the one that perhaps puts a greater "strain" on the relationship than the previous ones. This is what I call the "10 Month Itch". I'll admit it, it was tough, it wasn't pleasant and, I have too admit, my eye would wander. Sony's and their built strength and their use by the BBC. There were several times when I could have "Played Away!" . . . Owning up to this is the first part of moving on to the final stage . . . .

Making Movies!

. . . best advice I can give . . others will come in with the more "valuable" techie" stuff . . . there is plenty of it . . But, yes, persevere and the XM2 will give it up for you: BIG TIME!

The latest and most effective "leap" I've made so far has been to get "On-Top" of White Balance. This is after 12 months of experimentation?!?!

As I said, welcome aboard,

Grazie - ;-)

David Ho
December 28th, 2003, 03:22 AM
LOL...uhh...what just happened......I have no idea what you just said.

Graham Bernard
December 28th, 2003, 03:28 AM
David - "I have no idea what you just said" - you aint the first, you wont be the last . . The XM2 is my first DV cammie. I found I was asking too much of it - for me - this may not be your case.

I should wait for more techinically aware folks to come back - yeah?

Best wishes,

Grazie

Arthur John
December 28th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Get a Canon Wd-58 Wide lens adaptor. I've heard lots of great things about it. :)

Walter Scott
December 28th, 2003, 06:51 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : .......

The latest and most effective "leap" I've made so far has been to get "On-Top" of White Balance.

any particular tips on doing white balance? I have a 6" x 10" white card. I zoon in until it fills the viewfinder than hit "set." Is there a better way to do it?

Graham Bernard
December 29th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Walter, that's about as good as it gets. However, I zoom in and manual focus on a a sharp corner, then pan the cammie into the middle "mass" of white - yeah?

I was doing some shooting in a Chapel, candle lit etc etc . .WBed and the picture knocked me off my chair! Amazing . . .

Grazie

Alan McCormick
December 29th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Thanks for that Grazie, makes sense when you think about it.

OT - (Can you email me as I have lost your details)

Walter Scott
December 29th, 2003, 07:13 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : Walter, that's about as good as it gets. However, I zoom in and manual focus on a a sharp corner, then pan the cammie into the middle "mass" of white - yeah?

sounds like what I do except ive been to lazy to use manual focus!

I was doing some shooting in a Chapel, candle lit etc etc . .WBed and the picture knocked me off my chair! Amazing . . .

Grazie -->>>

Cool! Next summer I will be shooting at a local science fiction convention. one of the rooms has these awful dim kind of orange lights. cant wait to see what the GL2 will do in there.

Thanks!

Graham Bernard
December 29th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Next Summer!?!? Go do some experimentation first yeah?

Make a candlelight supper for your . . partner? Then you can shoot the outcome!! HAH! - DON't put it on the web . . ;-)

Happy New Year . .when it comes,

Grazie

Walter Scott
December 29th, 2003, 09:03 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : Next Summer!?!? Go do some experimentation first yeah?

Make a candlelight supper for your . . partner? Then you can shoot the outcome!! HAH! - DON't put it on the web . . ;-)

BWA HA HA ! good idea!

Happy New Year . .when it comes,

Grazie -->>>

same to you!