View Full Version : Best Shotgun Mic for XL1-S with MA200?

John C Heid
December 28th, 2003, 08:11 PM
I am looking for a premium quality stereo shotgun mic, for connection to the MA200 on a XL1-S. I ordered an AT835ST today from B&H. Great specs, light weight, 9 1/2" long.

Then I learned it requires phantom power, which is not supplied on the MA200. I do not want to add another "box" for phantom power, so I plan to regrettably return the AT835ST.

What shotgun mics exist that can operate off either an internal battery, or the onboard 5 volt Canon supply? I want a very high quality sound.

Don Palomaki
December 31st, 2003, 05:24 AM
No high quality shotgun mics can operate of the Canon internal power or its 5-volt MA-100/200 power supply. There were some Canon mics that operate of the 5 volts supply that had a shotgun mode, but they were more modest quality in the world of mics and intended for the consumer/prosumer market, not prpfessional use.

If you need shotgun and stereo, consider a pair of ME66, or perhaps a pair of the AT-835 (mono version) that can be battery powered, or consider buying an extenal source of phantom power.

If shotgun is not essential but stereo is, check the AT-825 or AT-822 for decent moderate priced stereo mics. The AT-822 does not need the MA-100/200, can plug directly into the mic jack.

John C Heid
December 31st, 2003, 07:41 AM
Thanks for your in depth suggestions. At this time, I plan to ditch stereo regrettably, and go with AT897, a relatively new battery / phantom powered shotgun microphone. (Check out its specs). I can always add a second AT897 for stereo, although I am not sure how you would install 2 mics. What is the best way to mount 2 mics on the XL-1S?

The MA200 is due from B&H today. I want the shoulder pad, and chose the MA200 over the MA100 for future flexibility. There should not be a huge weight difference between the MA100 and MA200... hopefully!

I also ordered additional Lightwave products to evaluate: Mini-Mount for microphone, Mini Screen, Windmaster, and System Isolator. These are great products conceptually; however I am not sure how usable the System Isolator is in combination with the MA200. It may put the MA200 pad too far rearward for shoulder mounting...

Jim Forbes
December 31st, 2003, 12:59 PM
As I'm considering all of the same - and planning on adding the LightWave trio of products - I'll be very interested in what you find John.

thanks,
Jim

Tim Louie
August 24th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Do you guys have any updates on your usage of the Lightwave trio? I'm questioning the need to purchase the System Isolator when using the Mini Mount. The Mini Mount is a forseeable purchase so I can see if I can mount the MM without the SI. I'll post updates on that later on a seperate thread.