View Full Version : A Cool Case For The XL1/XL1S & GL1

MTC FILMS
October 19th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Go to this link to see the photos I put up on the CASE.
http://www.fast-mhz.com/XL1/sears-case.htm
Mark Chiocchi

Nathan Gifford
October 20th, 2001, 10:14 AM
I need to look at that a little closer. The only problem I see is there may not be much room for padding.

Nathan Gifford

MTC FILMS
October 20th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Padding for what?

Manuel Albarracin
October 21st, 2001, 10:30 AM
Hi
I can't make out clearly with the angle of the picture of the case. Is the xl1 stored with its len attached? It looks like the mike is, and is that a ma100 at the back?

It looks great though. Can you please note the model number of the case.

mantral98

MTC FILMS
October 21st, 2001, 10:37 AM
You can't see that the lens is on the XL1?.
Do you see the lens hood.? Craftsman 24 in Truck Tote

Here is the link to the case from SEARS.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1184394809.1003682021@@@@&BV_EngineID=hiadccfjhhlgmbggcmgclchn.0&targetPage=%2fproduct%2fsummary%2fproductsummary.jsp&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&pid=00959027000

Wildsdesign
October 21st, 2001, 12:27 PM
I just purchased the Canon MA-100 XLR adaptor from Mark for $125 with shipping. I sent my check out on Monday and recieved the adaptor on Saturday. It was an excelent transaction. I am very pleased.

-Justin

wildsdesign@hotmail.com

MTC FILMS
October 21st, 2001, 02:36 PM
I don't think that link is working. Do this go to www.sears.com
Then go to the ("Search by Keyword or Item #") and put this number in the box and click on ("GO") it should bring you right to it.

Manuel Albarracin
October 22nd, 2001, 03:00 PM
I saw the sears website. I am convinced now. Probably drop by our local sears to check it out and buy one.

Yes I saw the lens hood but could not tell if the body of the lens was there.

I would like to put some padding or foam at the bottom or sides to keep the xl1s from swimming inside the case during transport.

Thanks a lot for the tip

MTC FILMS
October 22nd, 2001, 05:26 PM
Do what I did I made a thin board that fits on the bottom of the case and cut out the parts of the board where the xl1 sits and laced stapes though the board with Velcro to hold the XL1 in place.

No need for the foam.

Mark

Nathan Gifford
October 23rd, 2001, 09:36 AM
Mark,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I've crashed my W2k machine and it may be awhile before I have it up.

Padding around the cam for mechanical shock protection. Good idea about lacing the cam to a bottom board.

Thanks for letting us know about the great fit. I will probably get one because I don't know if I will buy a Pelican case.

Nathan Gifford

Mike Butler
October 23rd, 2001, 11:23 AM
COOL CASE! Even has room for a spare GL1!
A bit bulkier than the Porta Brace CTC (which I have been able to carry aboard planes) but I'm sure it cost a whole lot less. Nice to see the creativity out there. It'll be worth thinking about if I go to doing 2-camera shoots.

cheers!

Richard DuPree
October 29th, 2001, 03:03 PM
This was a really great suggestion. I just bought the last ones at the local Sears store. Lots of puzzled looks!! Now does anyone have a suggestion for some kind of case/bag for a fairly heavy-duty Manfrotto triod (Bogen #3246)? As with the Sears product, inexpensive and low budget are operative words. Thanks.

Richard DuPree

MTC FILMS
October 29th, 2001, 05:02 PM
Go to a sporting goods store they have baseball bat bags for 40 bucks.

that's what i use and i can fit my triod wheels and two lightstands in the bag and other stuff
http://beapro.com/products/search.asp?search=bag

http://www.awesome-sports.com/equipment1.htm

http://www.seattleseams.com/sasmstyl5.htm

http://imall-usa.com/sportstore/baseballbags.htm

http://www.allstarsportsbc.com/easton_bags.htm

pjssssss
November 1st, 2001, 09:57 PM
Being an ex tennis pro, I have found that my heavy duty equipment bags are the perfect size for tripods. I carry 2 tripods with heads several reel extension cords and a few misc. things in it. The only problem is that it gets heavy! ;-)

ZoLO_axs
November 2nd, 2001, 08:16 AM
Hi!
Im interested in the SEARS Case, but THERE AINT NO SEARS in germany... And Sears online does not sell Items outside US.

Is there any other online store that sells that Case? Or does anyone know a way to get it (as cheap as possible) to germay???

Thx

ZoLO

Ed Baatz
November 10th, 2001, 06:50 PM
I'm thinking that this great idea for a case will be great for transporting my equipment everywhere, including when flying to exotic locations, perhaps utilizing the built-in handles' spaces for padlocks. (Airlines specifically exempt almost EVERYTHING of any value from their so-called luggage insurance provisions, I believe?)

However, what with the tender loving care exercised by the airlines, not to mention my own clumsy tendencies, wouldn't foam padding be a necessity? The velcro straps you mentioned sound like another well-thought-out adaptation, but if not mounted with some type of foam to absorb shock--- it seems to me that the camcorder and other sensitive items might take a severe beating?

I'm trying to figure out how to use foam and velcro straps in conjunction... at least for the bottom compartment. However, I know my limitations and there is no way that I can cut high-density foam to actually snugly fit. Tried it once before a long time ago and it came out looking dreadful. What do y'all think of placing a thin bumper of foam beneath the thin board the straps go thru to hold the camcorder? Maybe loosely attaching the board to the bottom of the case so that it "floats" on top of the foam but doesn't fly upward away from the bottom of the case when/if the entire case is dropped or thrown around?

Craftsman has a really thin material they use to line the bottoms of drawers in their regular toolboxes that might work nicely in the upper two compartments and stop small items from sliding around so much.

I do want to say thanks a lot to Mark for posting the info on this case!

Ed

John Locke
November 11th, 2001, 02:35 AM
I see that you have a Samson receiver in your case. Since you're using the Canon dual-battery charger on your MA-100, where do you attach the receiver on your camera?

I'm thinking about getting the Samson myself, but wasn't sure where and how I'd attach it.

Thanks.

Adam Wakely
November 13th, 2001, 11:57 PM
Looks very cool! Just what I was looking for and not expensive!

Bill_Roberts
November 14th, 2001, 12:32 AM
I got the case at my local Sears here in Spokane. I picked up a sheet of foam at Fred Meyer and started cutting away. I started with the 3 inch foam base but found out that I did not have the clearance when I sat the XL1s on the foam. I next cut the base to two and then down to 1 inch thick. At one inch, I had the clearance I needed. I sat the XL1s (with MA100, mike and eyeiece) on the foam and drew around the unit with a marker. Next, I just cut it on the outline and dropped it in on top of the 1 inch foam bottom. Works like a charm. I just feel its a little thin on the 1 inch bottom but do-able.
Thanks Mark, you saved me a bunch of money!

MTC FILMS
November 20th, 2001, 12:10 AM
zchildress

I attach the Samson receiver to the back of the MA-100.

Here is a photo on how to do it.
Good Luck
Mark

http://www.fast-mhz.com/XL1/img/ma-100-11.jpg

MTC FILMS
November 20th, 2001, 12:32 AM
Bill_Roberts

It may seem a little thin but take it from me this case is good and strong.

The case is made for tools and it can handle 260 lbs.

It's so nice to walk on the job with a role away case with everything you need. Plus the top of the case is big enough to put a bag on top so you have one hand free to open doors. :)

Mark

Bill_Roberts
November 20th, 2001, 02:05 AM
I was hoping to put a little more foam under the XL1s. But I am happy with the case. The case is very strong. You can sit on it or stand on it! It's very stable. ;-)

John Locke
November 20th, 2001, 02:31 AM
Mark,

Good idea! I didn't think to put it on the back of the MA-100.

Thanks.

Nathan Gifford
November 25th, 2001, 06:08 PM
I got the last one here at our store in Hammond. It was on sale for $39.95. There isn't a better time to buy!

Nathan Gifford

Mike Butler
November 26th, 2001, 10:26 AM
well, if I didn't have my Porta Brace bag (the price only hurt for a little while) and needed something to tote my XL1, I would consider what I did when I needed cases to lug my DJ equipment in.
I couldn't find exactly what I wanted to protect and organize my sound system, and couldn't stand the prices of the store-bought road cases, so I went downstairs to my table saw and built them.

I constructed the cases out of 1/2" and 3/8" plywood, the roughest (cheapest) grade like CDX--it didn't matter because it was going to be covered up. Most of it was scrap, left over from other construction projects, so the cost was effectively zero. Just assembled them with yellow carpenter's glue and 1-1/4" finishing nails. Then I covered them with DJ carpeting (from MCM Electronics), glued on with parquet flooring adhesive from Home Depot and stapled around the edges with an Arrow T-50 (removed all but the most inconspicuous staples after the job had dried out). All the interior partitions and blocks to custom-fit the electronics were just more pieces of scrap wood covered with that carpeting. Velcro and snaps were used to attach moveable parts. Not much need for foam. Whatever I didn't carpet got painted flat black.

I finished the job off with the appropriate handles, hinges and cabinet corners also from the MCM catalog, which is the only part that cost any noticeable amount of money, about $12 to $20 per case, depending on complexity. You could hardly tell them apart from the "real thing."

I even stitched microphone bags, etc. on the sewing machine out of that same carpeting. That was about ten years ago, and the cases are still going strong (after changing out mixers, CD players and amplifier!).