View Full Version : New HD DVD Player!

Christopher C. Murphy
January 6th, 2004, 10:26 AM
This could means we can encode our HD10u footage into all the popular flavors now...yummy! At $350 - we can playback true HD with DVI output!

http://www.digitalproducer.com/2004/01_jan/news/01_05/vinc016.htm

Thomas Ferlauto
January 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Here we are racking our brains so that we can archive on miniDV tapes. What are we crazy? If we can write to DVD and play on an HDTV who cares if we can create an MPEG-2 ts stream that can go back to the camera -- or DVHS for that matter?

Christopher C. Murphy
January 6th, 2004, 11:14 AM
I'm definately keen on having multiple avenues for outputing footage...these new products will put us in such a great place.

At the very least, we're going to be able to shoot HD and playback HD-DVD's now. It's cheap too...my only question is the amount of HD content that will fit on a standard DVD?

Here is something that might help this cause - HD-DVD recording:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/nec-develops-high-definition-dvd-compatible-drive-12_19_03.htm

Paul St. Denis
January 6th, 2004, 01:39 PM
I need a way to archive edited footage in a format readily importable back to the computer.

The Windows Media capable DVD is nice for showing the presentation, but it does not have firewire out and wmv is not editible in Final Cut, (you can edit it in Vegas on the PC).

I hear that HD-DVD format players are not due out for at least a year. and there might be a VHS vs Betamax type battle happening
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0D15FE385A0C7A8EDDAB0994DB404482

Paul St. Denis
January 7th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Shoot! that whole New York Times article that I mentioned in the previous post was available online few days ago, now it is mostly just an ad for the newspaper. It used to be that you could use the google cache feature to get around that too, but not anymore apparently.
This link http://msl1.mit.edu/furdlog/index.php?p=1130&c=1 has more excerpts from the artlcle and somehow a working link (the last time I tried it) to the complete article.
I'll never link to NY Times again.

Al Falaschi
January 7th, 2004, 11:46 AM
There is a 1 minute and 43 second trailer for Terminator 3 on the WM9 site. It is 84 megs.

If you do the math, a 4.7 gig DVD should hold 96 minutes of WM9 HD content at 720p, 6.4 Mbps.

.....I think!

Christopher C. Murphy
January 7th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Hmm, so...a 2 DVD set from an indie could contain a 96 minute movie and extras on the other disk.

If the dual-layer stuff happens in the next few months that'll be one of the cooler things to happen in a few years. I've been dying to burn over 60 minutes on DVD. I recently shot a television show that was 60 minutes long, but it couldn't fit on a DVD at 60 minutes! It was more like 58 minutes because my Mac kept spitting out the disk saying it was to large to fit.

Anyway, I'll be happy when we can do DVD quailty with at least 1 1/2 hours worth of room....

Murph

Kevin A. Sturges
January 9th, 2004, 04:04 PM
http://www.vinc.com/

Looks like the loop is now closed for consumers to capture, store, and playback our own HD content. Good news! The price is right too.

I just got a letter back from their technical support that the player is compatible with Divx as well. Has anyone tried writing their JVCHD cam files to HD Divx format yet? I wonder how that compares to WM9?

Carlos Salcedo
January 9th, 2004, 04:40 PM
I have a question about this player...I went to their site and downladed both the catalog and their user's manual and I looked at the FAQ and I see a couple of contradictions.

I have a Mitsubishi WS-55805 set that only has the component HDTV inputs (YPbPr) plugs...does not have DVI input.

On the FAQ page it claims that the component input does not allow 720p...but that's not a problem since my set is 1080i set...

So...

Can the output from this DVD player send 1080i signal to the component at 1080i? I understand that any non-HDTV format would be up-converted. But I can live with that...

But what I really want is to be able to send DVD signals that were recorded at 1080I or 720i to the set via the component.

Does this make sense???

David Newman
January 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
The player on their site in not the HD DVD player they just announced, so there is very little information other than this press release on the Bravo D3.

http://www.digitalproducer.com/2004/01_jan/news/01_05/vinc016.htm

Don Blish
January 12th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Regarding the HD - Windows Media 9 PLAYER.....nowhere does
it say it records. So this does not solve your GR-HD output problem.

Seems to only be a player for the Warner Bros. backed RedLED/existing DVDmedia/MPEG4 playback option...
that is not backed by the blue ray and other players who have been pushing MPEG2 but on 20-30 GB discs.

David Newman
January 12th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Don, the player isn't suppost to record. The cool feature is that is plays HD Windows Media 9 files that can be easily created from the JVC sources. You can use existing 4.7GB burners (now around $100) to create HD DVDs.

Christopher C. Murphy
January 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM
David and Don,

Let's not forget that DVD dual-layer burners are coming in less than 90 days!

Here is what we're talking about:

- Shoot HD with JVC HD10u

- Edit online or offline with various "solutions" provided now for PC/Mac

- Output to DVHS, standard DVD or HD-DVD

- Play HD-DVD's on new HD DVD player into any HDTV - even with DVI!

The last part "HD-DVD" is the holy grail for me. I've wanted to put high quality long-form television and movies on DVD since...damn, I got a DVD player! Now, I can shoot HD and have it played back on HD DVD to HDTV sets. I'd love to see film festivals get outfitted with HD DVD players...

It's going to be an awesome 2004!!!

Murph

Maury McEvoy
January 12th, 2004, 10:24 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Paul St. Denis : I need a way to archive edited footage in a format readily importable back to the computer. -->>>

I archive edited sequences from FCP using:

FCP > File > Export > QuickTime Movie > Make Movie Self-Contained.

I can then burn the resulting QT.mov file onto a DVD-R as 'data' using Roxio's Toast.

Later you can re-load that 'data' DVD-R back into your Mac, double click on its icon, drag the saved QT.mov file back into an FCP Browser, and re-edit as usual in FCP.

QuickTime is very flexible. I have generated QT.mov files from 1280x720p, 1920x1080p, and even 2268x1512p from 36-bit color TIFF image sequences from my Sigma SD10 digital camera.

Sharon Fraats
January 12th, 2004, 11:41 PM
From Reuters

Blu-ray is competing with another new blue laser-based DVD technology from Japan's Toshiba and NEC.

Blue lasers have a shorter wavelength than the current red lasers, which allows for a thinner light beam which can read and write smaller bits of information on a disc.

Among the 10 companies promoting Blu-Ray are Hitachi, LG Electronics, Philips Electronics, Sony and Thomson.

Although the support of the two main PC makers is a shot in the arm of the Blu-ray group, the rival technology from Toshiba and NEC won the support of the DVD Forum in November.

The DVD Forum is the alliance of some 220 DVD companies, including electronics and media firms.

The DVD industry has seen other format wars. There are five different rewriteable red laser technologies on the market, many of which will not play discs recorded with a competing standard.

Crucial in the blue laser battle will be the support of the Hollywood movie studios, which are expected to adopt just one standard for pre-recorded (read-only) blue laser DVDs.

The fight is now over Blue laser or Red.

Paul St. Denis
January 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Maury McEvoy : I archive edited sequences from FCP using:

FCP > File > Export > QuickTime Movie > Make Movie Self-Contained.
-->>>
Maury what codec are you using for export?
I believe my version of FCP defaults to DV-NTSC

Maury McEvoy
January 14th, 2004, 11:25 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Paul St. Denis : Maury what codec are you using for export?
I believe my version of FCP defaults to DV-NTSC -->>>

I generally use DC30+ or Pixlet codecs.

After entering:

FCP > File > Export > QuickTime Movie

I select:

Settings: 'Current Settings' or 'Custom'

If 'Custom' then select 'QuickTime Video Settings': e.g.
Compressor: 'DC30+' or 'Apple Pixlet Video'
Quality: 100%

Click OK

Check 'Make Movie Self-Contained'

Click Save.

Good luck.

Sharon Fraats
January 15th, 2004, 01:22 AM
I gather that you can choose that setting (DC30+) as you have a Miro DC30+?

As I have gone to mine and can not find it in the menu.

Heath McKnight
January 15th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Good luck and have a TON of hard drive space! I was shocked to learn a simple 14 second clip from the HD10 saved as a Pixlet QT movie was over 500 mb! YIKES!

heath-o

Maury McEvoy
January 15th, 2004, 06:45 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Sharon Fraats : I gather that you can choose that setting (DC30+) as you have a Miro DC30+?

As I have gone to mine and can not find it in the menu. -->>>

Sorry for the confusion. I became aware of the DC30+ codec from posts by Eric Bilodeau both here and on:

http://www.lumieremedia.com/hdv/

You can download the DC30+ codec from the Italian site:

http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/dc30xact.html

I do not have a Miro DC30+ or any other associated hardware on my G5. The DC30+ codec works fine as a 'stand alone' codec.

Good luck.

Sharon Fraats
January 15th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Found it

Thank you

I'll try it right now and get back to you.

Paul St. Denis
January 15th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Given Heath's figure you can fit less than 5 minutes of Pixlet on a 4.7 DVD. Still good for archiving small projects.

Rob Lohman
January 16th, 2004, 04:15 AM
There also seems to be a new DVD player (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114279,00.asp) that can decode
HD movies encoded in Windows Media 9 technology.