View Full Version : DVCaddie

Emilio Olivares
January 11th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to find the right support for my GL2. Ran into this little device http://www.dvcaddie.com/ it looks pretty cool. Also read this http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camsupport/dvcaddie.php.

Has anybody else actually used this, does it work? Will it stabilize my shots to a certain degree?

As a note I did do a search but couldn't find any good info to actually decide.

Thanks!
Emilio

p.s. How do I post links ??!?!

Bryan Beasleigh
January 11th, 2004, 02:35 AM
It's be on here before. It doesn't look like a bad set up. I didn't bother because I have a long torso. The pivot would have sat just below my chest. The Steady Stick is similar. I did look and could find no users .

I use a Mini Rover for short hand held work and a marzpak for a longer duration shoot. I have mono pod that sits in the closet.

Langston Sessoms
January 12th, 2004, 06:12 PM
check out what john struhar had to say about the dvcaddie.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8467&highlight=dvcaddie

Matthew de Jongh
January 14th, 2004, 03:56 AM
i did a TON of research on support options for my dvx-100a

i wound up with the mini-rover for handheld stuff, it made it much more bearable but still damn heavy.

and i use the mini-rover on a good old bogen tripod for longer stuff (basically whenever possible)

shaky cam is just too easy to get (at least with a 4 pound camera.

we did some interviews in key west last week and after about the 3rd one i thought my back was gonna give out from holding the mini-rover as still as possible.

after that i went to the tripod with the mini-rover still as a great handle for panning and even for just carrying the camera/tripod around.

matthew

Emilio Olivares
January 14th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your replys! After much research I decided on the Caddie, ordered yesterday. When it gets here I'll take some pictures and post a review.

Thanks for your help!
Emilio

Bud Rink
April 4th, 2004, 02:08 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Emilio Olivares : Thanks for your replys! After much research I decided on the Caddie, ordered yesterday. When it gets here I'll take some pictures and post a review.

Thanks for your help!
Emilio -->>>

Hi Emilio,

I was just wondering what you thought of the DVCaddie. I'm thinking about it as well.

-Bud

Emilio Olivares
April 5th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Hey Bud,

Well what can I tell you. It wasn't what I was expecting. It does a good job of supporting the camera and keeping the weight off your hands, but just don't move or breathe hehehe. I mean don't breath because it'll sit right on your stomach, and will move slightly with normal breathing. I also found that it is terrible when you are walking, or moving around, the images get way too jerky, I can definitely stabilize the cam better with my own hands.

I've only used it on one wedding shoot, but I don't really think I'll use it again. Actually for this last weekend’s event I did the whole thing with my hands, great results. I would maybe recommend getting some type of shoulder support. Don't really know if those work well, but in my opinion you should stay away from the caddie. My problem with shoulder supports is the need for a zoom control, can't afford that right now.

If you want I can post some pictures of the device on my website. Also if you have any other questions please let me know....

Regards,
Emilio Olivares
http://www.pixeldvd.com

Frank Granovski
April 5th, 2004, 01:01 AM
The DV Caddie is a well-made stabilizer. Here's how I use it:

Shorten the strap and brace it against your chest (and relax your breathing---your chest won't move then). Hold the top part of the legs with your left hand, while bracing the left elbow against your left ribs. Your right hand is free to stop/start the cam, and during shooting just leave the right hanging by your side or hold the bottom part of the unit. For panning, turn the waist gently; for tilting, slowly bend forward or to the rear. The DV caddie works best with smaller cams, such as the TRV950/GL2 and smaller.

The DV Caddie won't replace a tripod, but it sure is handy.

Bud Rink
April 5th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks Emilio and Frank. I was really looking a comfortable way to handhold my XL1S for longer periods of time. The stock camera does not lend itself to shoulder rest. I have the MA-100 xlr adapter/shoulder pad and it's a little better but still not great. Also, being left handed I've never quite found the right "feel" while holding the camera.

Allen Brodsky
August 16th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Which works better with the PD170 (with WA attached), the DV Caddie or the DV Caddie Jr? Based on the weight guidelines on the company's website, I would expect the Jr. to be the better choice, but the site has pictures showing both units in use with the 150/170.
I'd be interested in comments from anyone with experience using this unit with the 150/170.