View Full Version : How To Create Dvd

Clarence Walker
January 15th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Right now I'm in the middle of several projects and need HD space. I don't completely understand how the whole DVD Authoring process works.

My question is that if I have an edited project on a Mini DV tape, can I latter transfer that to DVD, with menus?

I want to remove all of the clips from my HD, but don't want to have to "recreate" my project on the computer when I eventually invest in the DVD software and hardware.

Please help, falling way behind,

Thanks,

Clarence

Brian Huey
January 15th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Clarence,

That would work fine, you could just recapture the edited project as one big avi file then use a DVD authoring program to make the menus and convert the file to MPEG2 and burn the DVD. Just be sure that it is a good transfer to the tape with no glitches or dropped frames!

Cheers,
Brian

Clarence Walker
January 15th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks Brian for the quick response and advice.

One other concern before I delete my clips. Do you ever have a problem with the audio distortion when you re-capture as an avi?

I've had that happen for some reason, so I'm a little worried.

Thanks,

Clarence

J. Clayton Stansberry
January 15th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Clarence,

Make sure that you save the project file from whatever NLE you are working with. Then, you can just open the project file and tell it to reconnect the media. Pop in the tape and recapture your clips. You can do this from the original tapes, if your NLE allows this...I am speaking in FCP terms here.

Or, you can output the final project to DV tape and just recapture that in your NLE when you need to do other stuff to it or want to make the DVD. Not sure what you are talking about with menus within your project??? But, I copy my final project to miniDV tapes for future copies, etc. and save my DVD project files and just reconnect all media.

Clay

David Hurdon
January 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM
If you're concerned enough about bad audio on recapture perhaps you can find space to save the wav export of your project. Export the audio only in your NLE and keep it on your HDD or a CD-R?

David Hurdon

Brian Huey
January 15th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I'm going to back up my current 30min project on miniDV and using Adobe Premiere's Trim Project function that cuts and copys down the parts of the source files that you use in the project. For my 30min project this comes to a little over 6gigs with the footage all still in the raw DV format. I'm now going to burn it all to two DVDs. Then I can just copy all that material back onto the hard drive if I want to change a part of the project. Not sure if other NLE have this feature but it be worth looking for.

Cheers,
Brian

BTW Check and make sure your project audio settings stay the same (32kHz or 48kHz) as the settings on the camera when you videotaped it, I know I've had problems with this.

Clarence Walker
January 15th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips, I'll be dumping clips tonight.

Clarence