View Full Version : Equipment Case: I know I'm asking a lot...

Mark A. Billings
February 8th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I own the following:

Canon GL2 w/accessories
Canon Digital Rebel w/4 lenses plus accessories
Sony Vaio Laptop

What I need is a bag that will fit all this stuff (geek stuff my wife calls it) and it has to be rugged as the work I do is demanding and much travel is involved.

Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Dan Uneken
February 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM
You're going to hurt your back! Better to split things up in 3 bags, by Billinghams, Lowepro or Domke (my favourite: looks like a shabby bag, no-one suspects it's full of precious little geek stuff!)

Chris Hurd
February 8th, 2004, 06:45 PM
The Panda Backpack (http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=132&cid=28&perentId=4&ProdLine=4) from Kata just might hold your entire studio.

Bill Pryor
February 8th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Yeah, that's going to be a heavy load. You might look at Portabrace. They've got a lot of different bags. Most are designed for specific things, but they've also got some that can be adapted for other uses. And, if they don't have exactly what you want, they can sew in partitions for you in existing bags if there's something that fits.
Sometimes there will be a Portabrace bag designed for one thing that will work for something else. For example, I have one that was designed for some big video projector, but I use it for carrying 3 Lowel DP lights; and I keep the stands in another long skinny bag. They have one big long padded bag with partitions and 2 wheels that I use for a complete set of 4 Altman fresnels, including stands in the side pockets. It's a lot more compact and lighter than the big shipping case that the lights came in, although it still takes 2 guys to lift the thing.

Tommy Haupfear
February 8th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Are we talking a mammoth VAIO (16"+ LCD) or one of the micro compact rigs. Which lenses are you packing with the Digital Rebel?

The Panda seems like a good fit but man what a backpack. Does it come in camo green?

Matthew de Jongh
February 9th, 2004, 10:23 AM
when you say travel, are you looking for something for carry-on or checked?

my two favorites are porta brace and hardigg, hardigg has a new line called the storm case, it is like a pelican case but it has a lot of improvements over the pelican.

a hardigg with wheels and a telescoping handle can't be beat for ease of movement through airports.

matthew

Mark A. Billings
February 9th, 2004, 10:46 AM
It's a small VAIO and just a few lenses, the largest being a 75-300. I need to be able to carry on the bag. Don't trust checking with the countries we travel in.

The Panda looks good as well as the EXO-33 that Kata makes. Only problem is when I access their Where to Buy page no dealers come up under the U.S. (or any other country for that matter).

Mark

Bill Pryor
February 9th, 2004, 10:50 AM
You might check B&H and Markertek.

Adam Burtle
February 9th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Pelican Cases are great..
and Hardigg makes some really rugged stuff too.

http://www.hardigg.com/home.htm
http://www.pelicancase.com/

both of these solutions are VERY rugged, waterproof, float in water, and i havent heard a bad thing about them yet.. except for the price, of course. I'm going to purchase a Pelican 1610XL1 sometime in the near future.. as my softbags just aren't cutting it.

Mark A. Billings
February 18th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the great ideas.

Mark