View Full Version : gl2 changing colors while shooting!! Help

Joel Corral
February 9th, 2004, 08:50 PM
hi,

i have been shooting a low budget christian telecast with my gl2 and there are times n a wide shot that the colors will gradually change ever so silghty, but noticable. on a tight shot that never happens. does anyone know the reason this might be happing.

all of the setting are manual.
s1/60
F1.6
18db - dont ask me why i didnt set it.
cp>
color gain up 2 notches
color phase no gain or loss
sharpness down 2 notches
setup level no gain or loss

Ignacio Rodriguez
February 9th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Are you explicitly setting white balance? I don't know your cam, but on my PDX10 even when I am in manual mode WB can default to automatic unless you set one of the two presets or capture white. When in auto WB you see shifts in color like what you decscribe. Hope this helps.

Ken Tanaka
February 9th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Joel,
I think Ignacio hit the nail on the head. Your white balance is probably set to auto and it's drifting as the frame changes.

Use one of the presets (ex: tungsten, daylight) or manually set it.

The 18dB gain was probably a remnant from switching from a program mode. Just turn it down manually.

Bryan McCullough
February 9th, 2004, 09:24 PM
And a third supportive voice joins the gang.

Sounds like the auto white balance. Honestly, I don't know why they add this feature. Or, it's almost as if they've made it too good.

It's too sensitive. The few times I've played with it I couldn't believe at what small things it would take to make the color change.

You're much better off having an incorrect white balance than having one that's always 'correcting' itself.

What I always do is set the white balance, then compare it against the preset for whereever I am (outdoors or inside).

I do this because every now and then I prefer the preset for some reason. 19 out of 20 times I'll use the WB I set, but every now and then something is just better with the presets.

Joel Corral
February 9th, 2004, 09:24 PM
i think you guys are right,

see we shoot with two gl2 cameras and this guy who is more more expirenced than me set them up to match. and i asked if he need to set the white balance and he felt we didn't need to. i think we did.

thanks guys
i will make sure we set next time for sure!!!

Bryan McCullough
February 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Joel Corral
i think you guys are right,

see we shoot with two gl2 cameras and this guy who is more supposedly more expirenced than me set them up to match. and i asked if he need to set the white balance and he felt we didn't need to. i think we did.

thanks guys
i will make sure we set next time for sure!!!
I hate to say it, but this guy doesn't sound expirenced at all.

There's almost no time that it's more necessary for a solid white balance than when you're shooting multiple cameras. It's a flat out novice mistake to not WB on shoots like that.

You should really also color match, but just get the WB done and you'll be most of the way there.

Ken Tanaka
February 9th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Just to fill-in the background on Bryan's remark, " You're much better off having an incorrect white balance than having one that's always 'correcting' itself."...

If an entire clip is shot with an unbalanced but constant white balance setting, it's relatively simple to make a single correction throughout the entire clip during post-production color correction. By contrast, if the camera was using an "auto" white balance and the color balance is continuously changing it's almost impossible to smoothly adjust the color in post.

Bryan McCullough
February 9th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks Ken.

*I* know what I mean, but sometimes it's not always clear to other people. :)

Joel Corral
February 10th, 2004, 02:58 AM
lesson well learned here. :)

i guess he has been doing this for a while even done things that has been aired on T.B.N. i am pretty new at it, i didn't want the new guy (me) put the seasoned pro in check.