View Full Version : GL1/GL2 Fast Action Settings

Jeremy Stadnika
February 16th, 2004, 01:36 PM
I own a GL1. Whenever there is medium to fast action I get blocky lines in the action. Is there a way to minimize this by setting up my camera a certian way? What have you guys found best as far as settings for recording fast action?

Rob Lohman
February 17th, 2004, 04:00 AM
High detail might result in blockyness due to the compression. Can
you post a one frame export (uncompressed please -> so NOT
in JPEG or GIF format!!) where you can clearly see this?

Jeremy Stadnika
February 20th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Can't post my footage due to client agreements. It seems though that whenever I pan around while in-motion things have jagged edges until the camera stops moving. Jagged edges and overall blockness also occur when there is action within the screen. The overall picture looks good besides this. Could a different shutter speed help minimize this problem? Is there any setting or anything I could else I can do?

If this info doesnt help you enough then I could videotape some test footage.

Thanks

Graham Bernard
February 20th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Where or rather on what are you Previewing the footage? The cammie, the PC or the TV? I've had exactly the same symptoms on cammie LCD.

Rob Lohman
February 20th, 2004, 07:45 AM
With fast motion it's always best to shoot at 1/100th or higher
shutter speed if you want to retain the clarity of the footage.
Otherwise it might be interlacing. As said, a low resolution screen
will never allow you to see the footage correctly.

If you are allowed to send a picture to me through e-mail thats
a possability as well on my end. Ofcourse I will treat it confidential.

Jeremy Stadnika
February 20th, 2004, 04:26 PM
I usually shoot with with the camera in AUTO mode, and adjust things only as needed. What shutter speed would the camera most likely default to? If its under 1/100 then what steps would you sugguest to set it up to record fast action, and what mode and shutter speed?

The fast action footage looks bad played on all monitors. Its not super terrible but still a problem. What I'm most concerned about is when its shown on a SD TV and thats when you notice it the most.

Hopefully I will experiment with the camera this weekend and post some results and maybe screen shots.

Just FYI I use Premier 6.5 for editing and encoding threw firewire. The footage looks the same after encoding as it does played straight to a TV. For the final output to DVD I either export the timeline as: an AVI and then transcode in Encore, or export with the Main Concept Beta MPEG2 Encoder.

Thanks