View Full Version : DVDA various topics

Marcia Janine Galles
February 16th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Does anybody know how I access the "frame start time" option? I want to slowly fade in the appearance of the frames in the opening menu, to start with, or shortly thereafter, the video fade-in, but the "frame start time" selection on the "Object Properties" sidebar is greyed out and I haven't been able to find a "how to" reference anywhere (though I could easily just be missing it).

Edward Troxel
February 16th, 2004, 03:18 PM
If I'm understanding what you're looking at, that's not what that means.

It sounds like you are looking at the area that deals with a motion background or motion button. That "frame start option" would indicate where in the video to begin playing the motion background/button.

Marcia Janine Galles
February 16th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Hmm, ok... if I select an object/button, and click Object Properties on the right (versus the Page Properties tab), there are two start times I see. One is at the top in the "Thumbnail" section, beneath the file I have selected which will be used for the thumbnail/video for what I selected. And that first location is where I set its TC/start time to play its now associated video file. I then clicked animate under that and, voila, the object/button plays beautifully in preview from exactly the point. (Very neat.) The other start time listed on the Object Propeties page is located further down in the Object Frame section, under where I have enabled frames and selected the style I want to use. But it's greyed out. It says Frame start time. So I guess my question is really twofold:

a) What is that second, greyed out frame start time for, if it's not to set the TC for when the frame appears/starts? I've already set where the motion background/thumbnail video starts to play in the box above. What is it's function then? (The main background is animated/set under page properties.)

b) If that isn't the way to set the timing for when the buttons/objects appear onscreen in the opening menu, is there a way to do/set that?

Edward Troxel
February 16th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Ah... that control. I was going from memory and forgot that one. I see the one you're referring to now. Suspect it may have been an idea that never reached fruition. However, the bottom line is that DVDA 1.0 does not do what you are asking.

Marcia Janine Galles
February 17th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Well, thanks for checking. As someone said on the SoCal group boards, there will no doubt be lots of changes in next version comes out. Maybe it will include that mystery button.

You're a great resourse, Edward, and your posts are always appreciated.

Peter Jefferson
June 11th, 2004, 01:35 AM
okies.. ive done everythng and now im left witha audioTS and video TS folder as they shoudl be...

i open up nero 5.119 or something and i attemtt to burn a dvd project b selelcting my DVD type and systematically draggin my files to their appropriate location..

No wnero wants to "reshuffle" the file..

and heres teh problem..
I get an error message tellin me that it cant..

now i havent had any issues burning any dvd projects apart from ones set up within DVDA or DVDA2 (in case u were wondering, im learning DVDA2, so i use both until im comfortable to ditch v1)

any ideas??

Rob Lohman
June 11th, 2004, 03:10 AM
You are running an older version of Nero. Older versions tend to
have problems like these. What DVD type did you select in Nero?

Can DVDA also make an image instead of a VIDEO_TS dir?

Peter Jefferson
June 12th, 2004, 11:33 AM
no, it wont make an iso image or anything like that, it can only prepare the files using teh dvd file system..

Im going ot update nero when i get a dual layered burner.. but i just thought id see what i can do in the meantime..

Rob Lohman
June 13th, 2004, 12:36 PM
What DVD type are you selecting in Nero and what is the EXACT
message Nero is giving you?

Richard Zlamany
August 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Hello,

I did a test with the same video with titles. I used it twice on a single DVD. I used the video as backround for the menu and as a video to be played off of the DVD. The same exact video looks much better when it is not USED as the backround. The letters are smooth and good looking. However, when the same video is used as the backround the letters are jagged.

This leads me to believe that DVDA makes a video with titles look worse than if that same video is just played not as the backround.

Has anyone noticed this too? What gives?

Jim Sobolewski
August 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM
It is my understanding that DVD Architect will rerender(or render) everything on your menu,so it would be best to pull an avi file for your background video menu.Where DVDA will render it to an mpeg-2.If you had tried to use an Mpeg-2 for your Menu video background DVDA will still render it,so it would rerender your mpeg-2.So starting with the AVI will give better results,although if you are using a custom bitrate in Vegas to render your actual main movie file ,i don't think you'll achieve the same result by letting DVDA render your AVI to mpeg-2 for your MENU file as you( as far as i know) can not control the bitrate.

Richard Zlamany
August 12th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I see. Thanks for the help. I adjusted my workflow so everything looks great.

George Wing
August 13th, 2007, 05:24 AM
It is my understanding that DVD Architect will rerender(or render) everything on your menu,so it would be best to pull an avi file for your background video menu.Where DVDA will render it to an mpeg-2.If you had tried to use an Mpeg-2 for your Menu video background DVDA will still render it,so it would rerender your mpeg-2.So starting with the AVI will give better results,although if you are using a custom bitrate in Vegas to render your actual main movie file ,i don't think you'll achieve the same result by letting DVDA render your AVI to mpeg-2 for your MENU file as you( as far as i know) can not control the bitrate.

Whether DVDA4.x will re-render your menus will depend on how you setup your button highlights. So it is possible to use a pre-rendered menu "asis" without always re-rendering...

Regards,
George

Jim Justice
December 9th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Is it possible to somehow have a continuous background audio track playing over a series of menus?
I have 4 or 5 scene selection menus and am wanting to have a seamless audio track playing over all of them.

Don Bloom
December 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM
not so that it would not have a slight pause at the start of the menu screen. When you hit the button to change menus the music would not play through continously. There would be a slight lag. Nature of the beast.

Don

Phil Gosselin
December 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Hi all,

I've just created a a dvd in DVDA and when I watch it through a media player (Kplayer, VLC, Nero showtime) the menu lose a lot of quality about 5 seconds in. You know in a program when you can choose between high or medium quality and you can instantly see the differences if you toggle between these options, well that's pretty much what it looks like.

I created the background of the menu in After effects and it is a 15 second sequence where nothing moves.

I have two chapters and I animate them for 10 seconds then loop. These two don't lose quality though. It is only the background.

The background is an uncompressed avi.

I tried to turn off the interlace flicker option to no vail.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Phil Gosselin
December 28th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Well it looks like I got my answer.

I took my uncompressed avi file and dropped it in Vegas, I then rendered it to an mpeg2 file and that did the trick.

After recreating the dvd the playback doesn't lose it's quality anymore.

Cheers

Guile Branco
June 19th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I recently got DVDA 4.5, and here's my process is making a DVD:

1 - render as an mpeg 2 widescreen 24p DVDA

2 - render an ac3 sound file from the project (same name)

3 - Import/make DVD - until here all is perfect.

The beginning of the film is in sync but after a while the whole thing gets out of sync by 2 - 3 seconds. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Don Bloom
June 19th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have experienced this with DVDA 2 and 3 every now and then. Actually 2 times since early version 2. You probably aren't doing anything wrong it seems to be just something that happens once in a while. I have never found a plausible explaination or fix OTHER than re-rendering the project. On the 2 iccassions I have done this the problem was solved.
I know it a PITA but I know of no good reason for this to happen nor do I know of any other way to fix it.
Good luck,
Don

DJ Kinney
February 16th, 2009, 07:27 PM
PREFACE: I am not a stranger to the software, so I think it is something else. I have not made any "simple" or basic mistakes...I hope.

I am using Sony DVD Architect to make a widescreen 24p ntsc DVD out of a Sony Vegas project. The problem is, when I play the DVD, it is slightly vertically stretched. Not a lot, just a bit. I have played it on a widescreen computer, widescreen TV through a DVD player, and widescreen TV through an Xbox 360. Each time, when played at "native" rez and aspect, it is slightly vertically stretched. I can FORCE it to fit and then it's fine, but at native settinjgs, it is never right.

1) I made sure all the clips are 720 x 480.
2) I made sure the project setting is 720 x 480.
3) I rendered out using the DVD Architect presets for DVDA Widescreen 24p mpg-2.
4) I made sure the DVD Architect project matched the 720 x 480 settings.
5) I render....
6) Native aspect is never right. It is never actually 720 x 480. Or maybe it IS 720 x 480 and my TV or computer monitor is not. I don't know.

I don't know, but it's killing me. I need to master this DVD very soon.

P.S. I have made DVDs before this way and have not had a problem until now.

DJ

DJ Kinney
February 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I seem to be having some luck with my initial experiments with "Square Pixel" 1.0 ratio.

Don't know if this helps.

Jeremiah Rickert
February 17th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Are you sure your monitor isn't by chance 16:10?

Some widescreen monitors are.

DJ Kinney
February 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I've seen it on an hd tv, a laptop widescreen monitor, and simulated it on a standard monitor. All the same. :-(

DJ Kinney
February 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I want to close this thread and move it to "Vegas" ... I am getting to responses and very few views.

I am not double posting, I just want to close this.