View Full Version : Cheap and dirty battery mod

Ford Minton
June 1st, 2002, 04:23 AM
Just thought I would share this.

Have been looking for an aftermarket battery set-up to run my XL1 that is:
1. markedly cheaper than the high end set-ups like the Anton Bauer rig.
2. will give longer life than the Canon O.E.M. batteries.

I think I have found it. I worked with Doug Underdahl at Long Valley Equipment and he was able to modify a DeWalt cordless drill battery to run XL1 and the results are cheap, and effective as hell. Still determining actual run time off a single battery, but so far it has outlasted my Canon 2700mAh battery. I am gonna run a couple more side-by-side comparisons and see if I get same results.

The DeWalt batteries run about $60 so they are a heck of a lot cheaper than the Bauer's, and judging from the abuse I give my cordless drill I think they will take a beating.

I'll see if I can post some pics of the set-up somewhere, if you are interested in checking it out email me and I'll shoot you a URL.

BTW- what's also cool is when I attached this set-up to my MA-100 it balanced REALLY well on my shoulder.

Cheers-

Ford Minton
xmod@yahoo.com

Ford Minton
June 7th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Finally got around to getting pic posted of the setup, goto:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ford+minton/lst?.dir=/Ford%27s+general+admission+photos&.view=t

Chris Hurd
June 7th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Ford, do you have a larger, higher-res image you can e-mail to me? chris@dvinfo.net -- thanks,

Alex Dolgin
June 9th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Ford, what are the voltage and amp/hours ratings of the batteries you are using?
Thx
Alex

Ford Minton
June 13th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Chirs-
Will take some better quality photos and post them at that same URL as soon as I can.

Alex-
I think the batts are 7.2v, not sure about any other specs. Doug at Long Valley Equipment would know or you can check out the Dewalt site. I would bet they have something posted there.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/cordless/cordless_batteries/battery_charger_systems.asp

Rob Lohman
June 14th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Ford,

Which type are you using exactly?

Cheers!

Alex Dolgin
June 16th, 2002, 09:01 PM
It looks like Dewalt does not feel it is important to list their battery pack AH ratings. They mention that they use NiCad cells. NiCads are great for high current drain applications, like power tools and on camera lights, but their energy density is way behind that of NiMH, or LiIon.
Alex

peter davidson
June 24th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Good idea. Please send me more: macgyver@thegrid.net Thanks...

peter davidson
June 24th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Good idea. Please send me more: macgyver@thegrid.net Thanks...