View Full Version : DVD -> DivX/WMV

Lars Siden
March 7th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Hi,

I have some old DVD:s that I made way back on my old computer. I don't have the original tapes or AVi:s left - but I can copy my DVD:s to my HDD ( getting the video_ts and audio_ts ) folders, but now I'd like to re-render them to maybe DivX or Video for Windows, are there any easy way of doing this?

I guess I have to convert them to MPEG2 and then the new format?

Tips on procedure and programs to use is much appreciated!

Best regards,

Lazze Z

Rob Lohman
March 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM
DVD2AVI (http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/)

Lars Siden
March 8th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Thanks Rob,

I had totally forgotten that progam - used it 4-5 years ago!

// Lazze

David Hurdon
March 8th, 2004, 07:34 AM
You have another option to consider. Play the DVD to a VCR and capture the resulting tape through your camcorder to PC, if it supports AV-DV conversion. If you record it first you have a miniDV archive, if pass through you have a file to edit/convert. I use DVD2AVI and it's a great app but sometimes you have to further process the resulting AVI and it can be a toss-up as to which method is faster/cleaner. Of course, use S-Video if you have it, for the transfer to camcorder.

David Hurdon

Mark Jefferson
March 8th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Actually, if you have DVD playing software on your PC, you have the ability to read MPEG-2 video streams.

I archive every video that I do onto DVD, and then delete all the source footage. Every once in a while, I need to convert some of these videos to WMV. To encode in WMV format, you must demultiplex the VOB's audio and video into their component streams. There are a number of ways to get your VOBs off the DVD (DVDDecrypter springs to mind). If your audio is in AC3 format, you will need to convert it to wav. Once that is done, you can import these files directly into MS Windows Media Encoder and convert to WMV.

If you want DivX, there are a number of good sites that tell you how to do it and even offer free tools to perform the job. Check out www.doom9.net and divx-digest.com for more info.

Let me know if you need more information.

Lars Siden
March 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for all you replies and all great info!

I used DVD2AVI, got avi+wav - re-authored it in vegas and made a new render.

Should be nice with a "single click" solution - I'll check doom9!

Once again, thanks!

Best regards,

Lazze Z